Sad, about rehoming sweet semi feral rescue, right thing to do ?

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, this could be long , but going to try not to, I have 3 permanent, well adjusted "forever" cats, all former rescue, 2 neuter male, 1 spayed female, one is an older "father figure" and other male , and female, I got close to same age, as kittens, and they are a bit over a year now, they are playmates, and very shy/sensitive.

Several months ago I found a small feral colony of cats living in an old rarely used equipment barn at my job ( there was a female trapped in dumpster near barn, and I got inside dumpster, and just kept following her, cause she was panicky, until she "froze up" and i scruffed her, and got her out, and she ran torwards barn , which is how i found them ) I started giving them food, and after several weeks she actually started letting me touch her a little, I continued caring for her, and discovered another VERY wild female, and male, original female became very tame, and started showing major affection, and she was getting her ears torn from fighting, so i thought she was being picked on ( but looking back I think she was queen bee, because she always ate 1st, with male lurking in shadows , waiting, and I made her a nest box that she was always in, ( until I took her home, and then other female used it ) but the people sweet female I decided to take to vet, and then home, I seperated her, and my place is small so I used a giant dog kennel, and gradually started letting her out, my 3 showed a little aggression , but mostly curiosty, the feral female was bold almost from the start, and her aggression seemed to increase as time went on, she will "guard" my yard area, perimeter of home, against dogs, neighbors cats, and unfortunately my cats, especially the younger 2, so often they hide in bushes since they are so sensitive, and do not stand up to her, she does better with my older male, but has attacked him too, it has been over 3 months, she knows I get upset at her when she is aggressive, so it is mostly done when i am not looking, or near, but i hear, or see from distance, we all 4 go on walks, and she will be close to them , and sorta okay sometimes, both they do not trust her, and i do not either, but I feel horrible to rehome her, because she is SO SWEET , and cuddly to me, she follows me everywhere, like a dog, I told a neighbor lady I was probably going to rehome her, and she did not help matters by saying "she will be heartbroke, she loves you" and goes everywhere with you, but again, I just cannot deal with the intimidation she does with my other cats, and it breaks my heart seeing them afraid to come in yard to come home, I may be putting human emotion into her behavior as "love" , but I guess question is do others see this in their cats ? I have a friend that has offered to take her, and make a barn cat/pet out of her, and she takes AWESOME care of all her animals, and they want for nothing, and of course I have offered to take her back if things go bad, I guess I'd lije to hear others stories of similar, if they have dealt with this, and if you have read this far, thank you !!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried things in these articles, so that you can continue to keep her with you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the reply, yes , I have tried a few different things, mostly it seems the advice is for resident cats being aggressive to new cat, but this aggression is coming almost all from new cat, and she is fairly sneaky about it, she has improved a little torwards mine, but is still unpredictable, she has a very serious demeanor, does not play, or "hunt" and my other 3 are pretty hyper/playful.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still trying to find her place in the family. I have brought in a lot of “new” ferals and each one is different. I don’t think you have given her nearly enough time. Going outside will bring back her feral instincts too. Can you back up and restart the introductions? It really can make a the difference. She is not feeling secure in the new world yet. Can she be strictly indoor too? Walking could be on a harness/leash to give you the confidence that you have control and she may pick up on that. The other cats will realize she can only go so far on a leash if you work on this. My ferals are strictly indoor now except for one. They prefer to be in, safe and have their own secure places in the house. It can be a cage, carrier or even add high shelving so she can get up and so can the others if they must be in the same area.
I have one feral who still wants to go into the garden but she still gets nervous at noises or other humans, creatures. The harness makes her feel more secure but if scared, she comes to me to go back inside now. Harness training has worked very well for her. I strongly suggest you back track and give her a lot more time before sending her off to be a Barn cat. Relocating her could well result in her trying to return to you or her previous home out of feta/rejection. Sadly, when they try to return it often ends badly as they travel through unfamiliar territory. If it does come to relocating her later, please write back for the process that needs to be followed to give her the best chance of success. Please keep us updated and thank you so much for saving her! You saved a feral life.

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still trying to find her place in the family. I have brought in a lot of “new” ferals and each one is different. I don’t think you have given her nearly enough time. Going outside will bring back her feral instincts too. Can you back up and restart the introductions? It really can make a the difference. She is not feeling secure in the new world yet. Can she be strictly indoor too? Walking could be on a harness/leash to give you the confidence that you have control and she may pick up on that. The other cats will realize she can only go so far on a leash if you work on this. My ferals are strictly indoor now except for one. They prefer to be in, safe and have their own secure places in the house. It can be a cage, carrier or even add high shelving so she can get up and so can the others if they must be in the same area.
I have one feral who still wants to go into the garden but she still gets nervous at noises or other humans, creatures. The harness makes her feel more secure but if scared, she comes to me to go back inside now. Harness training has worked very well for her. I strongly suggest you back track and give her a lot more time before sending her off to be a Barn cat. Relocating her could well result in her trying to return to you or her previous home out of feta/rejection. Sadly, when they try to return it often ends badly as they travel through unfamiliar territory. If it does come to relocating her later, please write back for the process that needs to be followed to give her the best chance of success. Please keep us updated and thank you so much for saving her! You saved a feral life.
Hi, thank you for reply, she goes in, and out, she enjoys coming in, but does not want to be shut in, my living situation is a bit unusual, my place is small, but i live on 250 acres of private property, I have "neighbors" but they are not that close, their pets on occasion come into my yard, my newest feral , the one I am asking about has the most dominant, bold personality i have ever seen in a cat, the 2 "babies" of mine ( ones that she most likes to bully ) were caught as feral kittens at my same job, but since I raised them since they were small, they are very docile , and still flighty with anything, or anyone new, and this adult feral definitely has them buffaloed, and scared to come back home if she is "on guard" , the friend with barn has a SUPER nice place, and she is home all the time, to interact with them , which she spends marjority of time in barn ( it is heated, and indoor, etc. ) idk , it really makes me sick , if I did not demand peace for my babies it would not be a big deal, as none of the "fights" are terrible, and many ppl would probably ignore them, but I am very tuned into my 3 , and notice small behaviors, and stressors.

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also , my worse fear is what you mentioned that she would try to return , my friend lives about 120 miles one way, with many towns, and a major city between, she actually mostly stays out, and my house is the only "safe" zone my 3 have, but unfortunately they have to get through my yard to come in, and my newest problem feral "owns" the yard it seems, she has her own large kennel, but has claimed the entire yard area too.