S. Boulardii question

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find a S. boulardii product for my cat that he will eat. It seems when you add this particular powder to food it causes a yeast smell which doesn't seem bad to me but my cat basically runs from the food. Anyone have a massively picky cat and found a product that contained S. boulardii that their cat had no issue eating?? Thanks!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm trying to find a S. boulardii product for my cat that he will eat. It seems when you add this particular powder to food it causes a yeast smell which doesn't seem bad to me but my cat basically runs from the food. Anyone have a massively picky cat and found a product that contained S. boulardii that their cat had no issue eating?? Thanks!!
My boy is on S boulardii as he has chronic diarrhea for quite awhile. He is very picky and sensitive to smells especially medications and I can't syringe him at all.

At first he reacted to the smell of the S boulardii as I was trying to syringe him and of course he ran away. The second time I mixed it up with the gravy from his food and he checked it out and them lapped all up and after that each time he hears the spoon mixing up the stuffs on the plate, he'll jump up on the counter and immediately lick up the gravy even before I can finish mixing. Sometimes he just lick up the powder neat but I want him to drink more so I scoop out the gravy first then open the capsule and drop the powder in. Now he's a fan of the S boulardii.

Is your cat having Diarrhea? If yes, here's an article for you to read :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

I'm giving this to my boy,

IMG_3394.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!! Very helpful article. He's had mushy poop for at least 2 weeks now. Food change and regular probiotic (not s. boulardii) has made no difference. He's eating like crazy and gaining a little weight so my vet is thinking it's most likely IBD. It started out as barely eating and weight loss but normal stool, and has now switched to begging for food and mushy poop...but not ever liquid poop. Also at least once per day he has a pretty normal looking stool which is baffling.

I originally started the s. boilulardii during the start of his period of eating everything like there's no tomorrow. I gave him the tiniest little sprinkle (not even close to half a dose). He ate a few bites of food and wouldn't touch food the rest of the day. I gave him his regular food with nothing added to it and he still wouldn't touch his food. The next morning he was back to eating again. The only thing I had changed that day was adding a sprinkle of the s. boulardii so naturally I got a little nervous that this might not be the right avenue for him!!

Sorry that was so long!!

LTMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy is on S boulardii as he has chronic diarrhea for quite awhile. He is very picky and sensitive to smells especially medications and I can't syringe him at all.

At first he reacted to the smell of the S boulardii as I was trying to syringe him and of course he ran away. The second time I mixed it up with the gravy from his food and he checked it out and them lapped all up and after that each time he hears the spoon mixing up the stuffs on the plate, he'll jump up on the counter and immediately lick up the gravy even before I can finish mixing. Sometimes he just lick up the powder neat but I want him to drink more so I scoop out the gravy first then open the capsule and drop the powder in. Now he's a fan of the S boulardii.

Is your cat having Diarrhea? If yes, here's an article for you to read :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

I'm giving this to my boy,

View attachment 445178
My cat is being treated for presumed IBD. Well, the vet is careful how he words it, but we're approaching it like there's a good chance it's IBD. He's been suffering from diarrhea since August 2022. I'm looking to try s. boulardii asap. I'm interested to know if this product you use comes in caps that can be broken open (is it powder inside?). If so, how much of a capsule have you found is helpful for your cat?

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Unfortunately this is the exact product I have that my cat won't touch!! 😫🥰🥰

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It can be so hard to tell with these cats! I do believe that s boulardii is a big help, so keep trying to find one or possibly hide it in something.

L LTMommy The product I am using is the one listed above your post. I don't detect any smell or taste myself, and it is a capsule that you pull apart and mix in their food. I am mixing it in, not sprinkling on top, and I don't know if that is why my cat might be eating it. It is a powder and I have been using one capsule in one serving. You may have to test all this out for yourself.

A number of members on the site use the Jarrow brand.

However, tracy1213 tracy1213 raises a good point about the pickiness of cats.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tried the Jarrow brand and my cat refuses to eat with it added, which is sad because Jarrow is a great brand. I didn't try Nexabiotic because there was something about it I didn't like (don't remember what it is now). lol We are currently using this one and it doesn't have a yeasty smell, or at least not as yeasty as the previous brand we were using which was stronger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK30A1M/?tag=thecatsite

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat is being treated for presumed IBD. Well, the vet is careful how he words it, but we're approaching it like there's a good chance it's IBD. He's been suffering from diarrhea since August 2022. I'm looking to try s. boulardii asap. I'm interested to know if this product you use comes in caps that can be broken open (is it powder inside?). If so, how much of a capsule have you found is helpful for your cat?
It is powder and comes in capsule form and you can split up the capsule by pulling them apart and pour out the desire amount and just close the capsule and keep remaining powder for later use. Just make sure that your hands are very dry while handling the capsule else the capsule becomes damp, the remaining powder will harden and it's harder to pour out the net time.

I gave my boy half dose twice a day and I notice his poo starts forming though still paste like and some very soft formed poo like the third day or so. It depends non the severity of the diarrhea and so it takes awhile for the product to work. Progressively, I see more formed poop but still soft but it looks it's getting better.
His appetite is back now as compared to when he was having the runs.
This is a very good article article :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried the Jarrow brand and my cat refuses to eat with it added, which is sad because Jarrow is a great brand. I didn't try Nexabiotic because there was something about it I didn't like (don't remember what it is now). lol We are currently using this one and it doesn't have a yeasty smell, or at least not as yeasty as the previous brand we were using which was stronger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK30A1M/?tag=thecatsite
Thank you!!! Will give that a look!! 😺❤

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can be so hard to tell with these cats! I do believe that s boulardii is a big help, so keep trying to find one or possibly hide it in something.

L LTMommy The product I am using is the one listed above your post. I don't detect any smell or taste myself, and it is a capsule that you pull apart and mix in their food. I am mixing it in, not sprinkling on top, and I don't know if that is why my cat might be eating it. It is a powder and I have been using one capsule in one serving. You may have to test all this out for yourself.

A number of members on the site use the Jarrow brand.

However, tracy1213 tracy1213 raises a good point about the pickiness of cats.
Thank you!! 🥰😺❤

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet for a can of Hills A/D? I call this "cake frosting" because whatever I put it on, Betty will eat it even when she told me two seconds ago that she didn't feel like eating another bite. You might be able to make tasty yeast bites out of the s. boulardii and the A/D directly. Or if that doesn't work, I take the Jarrow brand, empty size four gelatin capsules I buy off Amazon, and a capsule filling machine I bought off Etsy (search for seller: MYHERBAR because the link doesn't resolve all the redirects correctly if I try to paste it here.) Once a month, I turn about 10 of the Jarrow capsules into 50 size four capsules that are much more cat-sized. It takes me about 15 minutes. Twice a day, I dip one of those capsules in a small amount of Hills A/D and drop it on the carpet. This encourages a scoop and swallow over a lick and flick. If yours goes for it this way, you can use this for administering other medicine too. Betty eagerly and happily takes nine capsules a day this way. Five in the morning and four at night. One of them at each session is one of these re-packed s. boulardii capsules.

This isn't Betty. But this is where we learned this from.

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!! Tides have turned and my cat is now eating anything and everything and I was able to sneak it in with no issue today but will keep your post in mind for when he won't take it!! 😊❤❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on S. Boulardii right now because she's also on an antibioitc, so I'm trying to help her fight any possible GI reactions.

I mix this powder in about 5 ml of water and then I give my cat this water with a syring without the needle. This powder is vanilla flavored (it's for human treatment), and both my cats love it.

Keep in mind that S. Boulardii is more effective if given at least 15 minutes prior to the meal, so mixing it with the food might reduce its effectiveness.

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip!! 😺❤❤

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chiming in late but wanted to add: I make S. Boulardii "truffles" for my VERY finicky cat.

I flatten half a Greenies pill pocket and put the S. Boulardii in the middle, then squeeze the sides of the pill-pocket "wrap" together and roll it into a teeny ball. Then I roll the ball in FortiFlora powder (which masks the smell of the SB) to coat it.

Gracie thinks these truffles are the BEST treat, and has no idea she's getting good-for-you probiotics.

:-D

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is powder and comes in capsule form and you can split up the capsule by pulling them apart and pour out the desire amount and just close the capsule and keep remaining powder for later use. Just make sure that your hands are very dry while handling the capsule else the capsule becomes damp, the remaining powder will harden and it's harder to pour out the net time.

I gave my boy half dose twice a day and I notice his poo starts forming though still paste like and some very soft formed poo like the third day or so. It depends non the severity of the diarrhea and so it takes awhile for the product to work. Progressively, I see more formed poop but still soft but it looks it's getting better.
His appetite is back now as compared to when he was having the runs.
This is a very good article article :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?
Hi, I found this post while searching for info about S Boulardii...my boy doesn't have IBD or chronic diarrhea in past, but with a food change a couple months ago, his poo has changed to what you describe above, tabbytom tabbytom . It's been pasty, mushy, sometimes a little diarrhea, not as firm as it used to be. The 2 new ingredients in his food are coconut oil and agar agar, which I tried to avoid but haven't found a good canned alternative for him yet. Would you mind letting me know if the food you feed your cat also has either of those ingredients, agar agar or coconut oil? I am suspecting that is what's causing mine to have subpar poo quality, because he was fine before the food change.

Then I wonder, if this is happening because of the food ingredients, would S Boulardii still be of any help? He currently is taking different probiotic strains with his food.

Thanks in advance for reading...I find that I learn more from real-life cat parent experiences, than from what the pet food companies tell me about ingredient safety.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!! Tides have turned and my cat is now eating anything and everything and I was able to sneak it in with no issue today but will keep your post in mind for when he won't take it!! 😊❤❤
Hi tracy1213 tracy1213 , would you mind updating if your cat has had improved poo since being on the S boulardii? Also would you mind sharing if there is coconut-oil or agar agar in the ingredients of his food? I also asked tabbytom the same, it sounds like our cats are/were having similar quality of poo. I'm just trying to figure out if those two ingredients cause more digestive upset than the food companies say. Thank you : )