Rivel hardly eating after visual introduction to new cat :(

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very :)

I am trying to sleep but silver has been doing zoomies for almost 2 hours now. It's either she's finally able to let off steam or this is her normal energy level.

But yeah. Thank you everyone. Truly. Without each and everyone of you, especially C calicosrspecial

I couldn't have done it without all these support. Honestly i have been sleeping less that's also the part why i am kinda stressed. Sometimes rivel wakes me up in the middle of the night, sometimes silver cries in the bathroom so i sat there and pet her for 10 - 15 minutes and i am the kind of person who doesn't fall asleep easily once i wake up.
"I am trying to sleep but silver has been doing zoomies for almost 2 hours now. It's either she's finally able to let off steam or this is her normal energy level." - I think you are witnessing a happy and more confident kitten!! :)

"But yeah. Thank you everyone. Truly. Without each and everyone of you, especially C calicosrspecial " - You are welcome. But YOU and Silver and especially Rivel deserve ALL THE CREDIT!!! THANK YOU for saving more lives and doing all you are doing!!

"I couldn't have done it without all these support." - Awwwwwwwww. Thank you!!!

"Honestly i have been sleeping less that's also the part why i am kinda stressed." - Yes, that will cause stress. With all the sadness and craziness in the world then all our own stresses in normal life it is easy to get stressed. But having the love from animals tends to really help it (in time).

"Sometimes rivel wakes me up in the middle of the night, sometimes silver cries in the bathroom so i sat there and pet her for 10 - 15 minutes and" - Yes. Sounds like my house. Every day, 4am, my one cat wakes me up (then she falls asleep in my arms while I am awake still).

"i am the kind of person who doesn't fall asleep easily once i wake up. " - Me too. :(

GREAT job!!! Keep up the great work. Always here for you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I left them all night, and day today, except for eating. There are some incidents, that doesn't seem too severe.

First last night, i was setting down the plate, silver rushed into my hand, which rivel take for assault maybe? So she swatted silver.

This afternoon, we were playing, i ended up holding one toy on each hand. Rivel doesn't seem interested in play, and more interested in watching, so i put her toy down and play with silver. After that, rivel seemed to chase silver for no reason, which resulted in the same thing when i posted video if silver running under the couch. It probably rivel wants to play with her or the toy, but since she's twice as big, silver got scared and got on the defensive.

But otherwise everything is normal and going ok. I have to go out for grocery tomorrow i wonder if it's already safe to leave them when i am not in the house? 1 hour tops. Last night went fine, but if soemthing happens i usually can hear it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something can always go wrong in even a stable cat relationship -- this chance is something that won't really ever go away. So I can't say there is zero chance of a problem developing that you could help with. What I can say is that it seems like once its clear that two cats don't want to fight and can express any stress/tension through noises or a "get away" swat, then that very rarely escalates. I think your there -- there is some remaining tension, but it is clear enough that no one wants to fight. So time together can be expected to help. On the flip side, if you are feeling uncertain and like another day or two of observation would be preferable, trust your instincts -- even if they are wrong, there is no possible harm to another day or two of observation.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something can always go wrong in even a stable cat relationship -- this chance is something that won't really ever go away. So I can't say there is zero chance of a problem developing that you could help with. What I can say is that it seems like once its clear that two cats don't want to fight and can express any stress/tension through noises or a "get away" swat, then that very rarely escalates. I think your there -- there is some remaining tension, but it is clear enough that no one wants to fight. So time together can be expected to help. On the flip side, if you are feeling uncertain and like another day or two of observation would be preferable, trust your instincts -- even if they are wrong, there is no possible harm to another day or two of observation.
That makes sense. I will just separate them tomorrow as i am not 100% confident yet, but so far so good.

IMG_20201225_212433.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also keep in mind that even once they start to play, size differences can cause some issues. Its fairly common for the smaller cat to squeal, hiss, seek to disengage and/or run and hide. As long as the smaller cat comes back in a few minutes and acts like nothing happened, things are good. You can let the smaller cat be the judge of whether there is an actual lingering or serious problem.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also keep in mind that even once they start to play, size differences can cause some issues. Its fairly common for the smaller cat to squeal, hiss, seek to disengage and/or run and hide. As long as the smaller cat comes back in a few minutes and acts like nothing happened, things are good. You can let the smaller cat be the judge of whether there is an actual lingering or serious problem.
Ah yes, that seems to be what happened earlier. It does like rivel is chasing silver with the intention of play (relaxed ears, tail) but since rivel is twice her size, silver probably got scared and hid. The longest was 10 minutes, but hiding did happen, most of them were under 5 minutes approx.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C calicosrspecial

Something happened tonight. Around 2 AM i was sleeping and i heard some hissing. This time rivel is swatting multiple times. Silver hides under the sofa, rivel keep trying to swat her, i have to separate them. I played with rivel solo, then give her snack. I did the same with silver afterwards.

After that, something i never saw happened. This looks like some territory disputes so i really need some help. First off rivel licked the floor and rubbing her chin all over it. Then my cupboard:

Then silver does the same in the same spot:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like territorial disputes to me. They keep trying to mark their own scent over the other's.

After that some hissing happened, and it looked pretty serious. Ears were folded back, and silver did that upside down U pose. I put silver back into the bathroom after that. Hope they calmed down by morning. It was going so well today, suddenly they almost fight for real

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C calicosrspecial

Something happened tonight. Around 2 AM i was sleeping and i heard some hissing. This time rivel is swatting multiple times. Silver hides under the sofa, rivel keep trying to swat her, i have to separate them. I played with rivel solo, then give her snack. I did the same with silver afterwards.

After that, something i never saw happened. This looks like some territory disputes so i really need some help. First off rivel licked the floor and rubbing her chin all over it. Then my cupboard:

Then silver does the same in the same spot:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like territorial disputes to me. They keep trying to mark their own scent over the other's.

After that some hissing happened, and it looked pretty serious. Ears were folded back, and silver did that upside down U pose. I put silver back into the bathroom after that. Hope they calmed down by morning. It was going so well today, suddenly they almost fight for real
Let's address the videos first.

First, they really are SO AODORABLE!!!

Did you drip some juice from food or something there?

They were putting their scent on it but they both looked fine (body language). For some reason they wanted to mark that. Do you think another animal came in and was there?

But I wasn't bothered by their actions/rubbing.

Rivel was looking at Silver rubbing. What did Rivel do after the video cut off? Did Rivel chase Silver? RIvel was good just watching while the video was on.

"After that some hissing happened, and it looked pretty serious. Ears were folded back" - Rivel's ears were bakc?

" and silver did that upside down U pose.: - Submissive.

" I put silver back into the bathroom after that. Hope they calmed down by morning. It was going so well today, suddenly they almost fight for real: - Ok. It happens. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep doing what you are doing.

"Something happened tonight. Around 2 AM i was sleeping and i heard some hissing. This time rivel is swatting multiple times. Silver hides under the sofa, rivel keep trying to swat her, i have to separate them. I played with rivel solo, then give her snack. I did the same with silver afterwards." - This happens but they are working it out. As long as they acted normal pretty soon after I wouldn't worry. You did the right thing.

The picture of Rivel and Silver is really cute and a really good sign of how well they are doing. They look great in that picture.

"I left them all night, and day today, except for eating. There are some incidents, that doesn't seem too severe." - OK, great.

"First last night, i was setting down the plate, silver rushed into my hand, which rivel take for assault maybe? So she swatted silver." - That happens, Rivel is probably teaching manners.

"This afternoon, we were playing, i ended up holding one toy on each hand. Rivel doesn't seem interested in play, and more interested in watching, so i put her toy down and play with silver. After that, rivel seemed to chase silver for no reason, which resulted in the same thing when i posted video if silver running under the couch. It probably rivel wants to play with her or the toy, but since she's twice as big, silver got scared and got on the defensive." - Yes, when Silver runs away she acts like a toy or prey so that is why Rivel chases. As long as it doesn't escalate then I wouldn't worry.

"But otherwise everything is normal and going ok." - Great.

" I have to go out for grocery tomorrow i wonder if it's already safe to leave them when i am not in the house? 1 hour tops." Personally I would have them separated. Just so nothing happens.

"Last night went fine, but if soemthing happens i usually can hear it. " - Yes, but you are around. I always think it is good to be around for now.

Overall, it sounds like things are going well. Just keep up the great work.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes cats mark (thats the cheek rubbing) for reassurance. So if they are not 100% calm with their new almost friend, that could lead to more marking. But in general, its something cats do a fair amount of, and even when it communicates a message humans can interpret, its generally nothing to worry about. I get my legs cheek butted a lot when cats are hungry for example.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I see the cheek (or side) rubbing around the house as akin to "hanging pictures" to make a house a home. Like we decorate with various things, cats decorate with scent. More homey for all.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you drip some juice from food or something there?

They were putting their scent on it but they both looked fine (body language). For some reason they wanted to mark that. Do you think another animal came in and was there?
Nothing in there. Just floor. I thought rivel was eating some weird insect again, but after i check it out, she just licked, rub, scratch.

Rivel was looking at Silver rubbing. What did Rivel do after the video cut off? Did Rivel chase Silver? RIvel was good just watching while the video was on.
Some swatting happened. Both backed away, soon after, silver went back and continue marking, then rivel came again, hissed again and the upside down U pose happened by silver.

"After that some hissing happened, and it looked pretty serious. Ears were folded back" - Rivel's ears were bakc?
Rivel hissed to silver, ears normal, silver crouched down , ears are folded back.

I think sometimes cats mark (thats the cheek rubbing) for reassurance. So if they are not 100% calm with their new almost friend, that could lead to more marking. But in general, its something cats do a fair amount of, and even when it communicates a message humans can interpret, its generally nothing to worry about. I get my legs cheek butted a lot when cats are hungry for example.
Rivel bunt a lot, but that is the first time i have seen she licked then rub the saliva with her check. Like usually it's just rubbing with her face for a while, then leave. This time she's doing it a lot more intensely.

I see the cheek (or side) rubbing around the house as akin to "hanging pictures" to make a house a home. Like we decorate with various things, cats decorate with scent. More homey for all.
It's more chin and it's very intense, unlike regular bunting/face rubbing, so that's why i thought they are trying to overwrite each other's marking ot or something.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The most bottom left pose happened by silver before i finally put silver back in the bathroom and go back to sleep. Her ears were folded, but tail wasn't raised, so it's a mix of the left and second from left.

This morning they went back to being okay again. I wonder it's just midnight zoomies (even i already played with them separately, but it was 2 AM i was sleepy and cannot bothered to make them tired. The pent up energy was still there and since they don't know each other too well yet, it turned into aggression?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing in there. Just floor. I thought rivel was eating some weird insect again, but after i check it out, she just licked, rub, scratch.

Some swatting happened. Both backed away, soon after, silver went back and continue marking, then rivel came again, hissed again and the upside down U pose happened by silver.

Rivel hissed to silver, ears normal, silver crouched down , ears are folded back.

Rivel bunt a lot, but that is the first time i have seen she licked then rub the saliva with her check. Like usually it's just rubbing with her face for a while, then leave. This time she's doing it a lot more intensely.

It's more chin and it's very intense, unlike regular bunting/face rubbing, so that's why i thought they are trying to overwrite each other's marking ot or something.
"Nothing in there. Just floor. I thought rivel was eating some weird insect again, but after i check it out, she just licked, rub, scratch." - Ok, I think that is normal.

"Some swatting happened. Both backed away," - GREAT they backed away.

" soon after, silver went back and continue marking" - Pretty good that Silver was confident to came back.

" then rivel came again, hissed again and the upside down U pose happened by silver." - Silver let Rivel know she didn't mean harm. A cat is most vulnerable exposing their belly so that is a sign of trust and of a peace truce.

"Rivel hissed to silver, ears normal, silver crouched down , ears are folded back. " - Ok, that is fine. I am glad to hear Rivel had her ears normal (up) which tells me it wasn't serious. Silver was defensive with her ears back but that is expected.

"Rivel bunt a lot, but that is the first time i have seen she licked then rub the saliva with her check. Like usually it's just rubbing with her face for a while, then leave. This time she's doing it a lot more intensely. " - Yes, the licking is more rare but not abnormal. I don't know if they are licking the other scent off or trying to get it rougher (not smooth) or what but I do see that once in a while. I am not worried about it.

"It's more chin and it's very intense, unlike regular bunting/face rubbing, so that's why i thought they are trying to overwrite each other's marking ot or something." - I understand but I do not worry about it. I think it is perfectly fine. They may even wanted the other cat's scent on them?

"The most bottom left pose happened by silver before i finally put silver back in the bathroom and go back to sleep. Her ears were folded, but tail wasn't raised, so it's a mix of the left and second from left." - Yes but I would expect that from Silver since she was scared. BUT Rivel did not harm her so Rivel shows us and Silver she doesn't really mean harm. I am not worried by that and would expect that from Silver. They are working things out.

"This morning they went back to being okay again." - AND this is important. If there were issues they would not be okay again so soon. How they act after is what tells us how they think. All this is just part of building trust and the process.

" I wonder it's just midnight zoomies (even i already played with them separately, but it was 2 AM i was sleepy and cannot bothered to make them tired. The pent up energy was still there and since they don't know each other too well yet, it turned into aggression?" - Yes, it is hard to eliminate all the energy. And when one cat is running around it will trigger the instinct of the other cat. I am not sure I would call it "aggression" but maybe just energy release.

It happens but as long as there isn't really any fighting then they are working through the issues and are building trust, setting boundaries, teaching, learning, etc.

I think they are doing well and all is normal and part of the process. Great job!!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: saw major progress today. Finally managed to feed them together without fighting

IMG_20201226_174243.jpg

None of the spat are as bad as the one 2 nights ago.

IMG_20201227_121515.jpg

We are making huge leaps today. Litterbox has been shared too. Everyone has used everything at least once.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So happy Rivel and Silver are getting along now.
Getting along is still a stretch. They tolerate each other, like roomate you're indifferent about, and use the same facilities in your house.

Hissing and swatting still happens, but i guess truly getting will take months.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting along is still a stretch. They tolerate each other, like roomate you're indifferent about, and use the same facilities in your house.

Hissing and swatting still happens, but i guess truly getting will take months.
Our girls have lived together now about 2.5 years and they still swat at each other occasionally (especially when Sparkle gets hangry). You may never get perfection, but we're not worried about anyone getting seriously injured at this point and have decided things are good enough.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our girls have lived together now about 2.5 years and they still swat at each other occasionally (especially when Sparkle gets hangry). You may never get perfection, but we're not worried about anyone getting seriously injured at this point and have decided things are good enough.
Tbh i would be satisfied if both are living comfortably and feel safe around each other. Don't have to be cuddling or grooming each other.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tbh i would be satisfied if both are living comfortably and feel safe around each other. Don't have to be cuddling or grooming each other.
Yeah, ours don't cuddle and groom, but they accept the other as their roommate. They were like 9 and 1 when we moved in together, so we figured that was the best we could hope for. But you never know! Rivel and Silver could end up best friends, but if not, I think they can definitely be roommates based on how progress is going.