Ringworm Advice?

Lyla98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently took in a foster that I later found out was exposed to ringworm. She might not have it, but was definitely exposed. The rescue hasn't been very much help so I'm not sure what to do, I've been fostering for a long time but never actually dealt with ringworm yet in my own home.

I did a lime sulphur dip for the foster as well as my other foster kitten she may have exposed, and both my cats who she may have exposed. I also cleaned everything in my house and especially the room she's in with rescue, left cat items out in the sun, did all the laundry, etc. This was just yesterday.

I'm not sure if I should repeat the lime sulphur dip in 5-7 days if no one starts showing any ringworm signs? Or if one dip was probably enough?

Would appreciate any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyla98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for fostering a new cat but sorry she may have ringworm. Regarding your question, please refer to this TCS Article and scroll down to lime sulphur dips: How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
There is also some good advice and helpful information in the article too. Best of luck!
Thank you! I've read that and many other articles but I just can't find anything about how many times to lime sulphur dip in an exposed but asymptomatic cat who may not even actually have ringworm, all the advice is for known infected cats with symptoms.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've read that and many other articles but I just can't find anything about how many times to lime sulphur dip in an exposed but asymptomatic cat who may not even actually have ringworm, all the advice is for known infected cats with symptoms.
Can you call your vet and ask for their advice?

Lyla98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They just said to ask the rescue, where the exposed cat came from, or make an appointment to discuss with vet. But with no symptoms I'm not sure why I need to pay a $70+ exam fee. Ideally the rescue would just tell me what to do but I haven't really heard anything back from them since they let me know about the cat that was exposed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I understand you not wanting to pay for an exam but if you don't hear back from the rescue you could still contact your vet since a phone call is free. ;)

Lyla98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. That is what I did. I called. The vet said to ask the rescue, and that otherwise if I want to discuss it with a vet I am welcome to make an appointment. They did not give me any actual advice over the phone.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you were not able to get any advice from your vet over the phone. I guess keep trying to reach someone at the rescue although I understand your frustration. 🤗