Rest in peace, Mama Dear

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last July, I adopted a 17 year old cat who found herself in the shelter after her owner died. I knew we didn't have long, but I thought we'd have more than 8 months. She had bone spurs in her spine and bad arthritis. (As a side note, monthly Selensia injections really helped her. Recommend. Also gave her Cosequin treats.) She start limping and carrying her back left leg a few weeks ago, so we put her on an anti inflammatory and painkiller. It got better, but when I got home late Thursday night, she couldn't walk. I stayed up with her and gave her tons of treats and the next morning, took her to the vet. He recommended it was time to let her go. Both legs were not working and there wasn't anything they could do. She was the sweetest little girl. She had a scratchy, old lady meow and would demand treats and/or to be pet or brushed. I obliged and tried to spoil her as much as possible over the past months. I'm heartbroken and I am going to really miss her. As hard as it is to let them go, I truly recommend fostering or adopting elderly cats. My local shelter calls it "sunset foster." They deserve a home in their golden years and it's a rewarding experience. Pictures of sweet Mama Dear attached.

Attachments

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. You have such a kind heart taking in a senior. You gave her a peaceful and spoiled place to live her last few months. Thank you for caring for the seniors out there. Take comfort in knowing she is no longer in any pain and is with all other kitties happy.

Rest in peace sweet girl ❤

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I echo what others have said. It takes a certain person to adopt the older cats and I'm grateful people exist who do that. I fear my heart and wallet wouldn't be able to take it. I am so glad Mama Dear had someone to care for her and spoil her in her last months. What a wonderful gift. 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I echo what others have said. It takes a certain person to adopt the older cats and I'm grateful people exist who do that. I fear my heart and wallet wouldn't be able to take it. I am so glad Mama Dear had someone to care for her and spoil her in her last months. What a wonderful gift. 💕
Thank you. Adopting older cats can definitely be an expense and I feel like vets are more expensive than ever these days. My local shelter has a "sunset foster" program, so they will pay all the medical bills. That said, I decided to adopt Mama Dear so I could be in control of her healthcare. They weren't willing to try out the Selensia injections. Totally get why not (it was just approved) but I was fortunately able to swing it. Now twenty+ years ago when I started adopting cats, I would NOT have been able to afford it. No way. The sunset foster program is really great. I wish all shelters could do it.

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for sharing her story and yours as well. She seemed like a sweet old lady. If we didn't have the dog and so many cats already we would foster. I mourn with you on your loss, but she was loved by you and you by her, so there will always be that between you, no matter this distance you are from one another and all things come full circle in time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mama Dear, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Thank you for giving this girl a loving home for her last months. You know, cats are so very Zen...for her, each day spent wrapped in your love was her "forever. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you, and she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are such an angel here on earth to show such kindness to that sweet girl in her last days.....
Instead of fear and isolation, you gave her comfort and a warm, loving home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. you will be blessed for loving her.
The bond of love you took into your heart will be with you, and her, forever. She is at peace because of you and your love, she has joined her loving human and will be eternally grateful for your kindness. may you always remember her sweet face, and receive comfort in knowing she will always love you for what you did. I will pray for her tiny soul, and for you to continue your acts of kindness, come here anytime you need to talk or to receive encouragement in your endeavors. Bless you......RIP dear Mama. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless you and rejoin you with your loved ones, may He bring comfort to the one you left behind......

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a kind and generous gift of love you and Mama Dear gave to each other. Susanna72, you are truly a remarkable person for making a home for these senior cats. Rest well, Dear Mama. You were indeed loved.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This story made my heart soar. I know it is a sad time for you but you have inspired people to reach deep and rescue the truly needy. Her previous owner I am sure would be very grateful to you. Thank you for loving Mama Dear all the way home.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You truly have a great heart and should be of inspiration to others.
Senior cats are more mellow and quiet, they give out a different kind of love to those who take care of them. Yes, they need more vet visits, can be costly, but the reward you get from this is priceless.
Thanks for giving Mama Dear the chance to be loved till the last day of her life. She won't forget you.

EDIT: Her face in the second photo is so sweet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You truly have a great heart and should be of inspiration to others.
Senior cats are more mellow and quiet, they give out a different kind of love to those who take care of them. Yes, they need more vet visits, can be costly, but the reward you get from this is priceless.
Thanks for giving Mama Dear the chance to be loved till the last day of her life. She won't forget you.

EDIT: Her face in the second photo is so sweet!
Thank you. Senior cats are the best. Vets ARE more costly than ever, that's why this sunset foster program is so great. All you do is provide a loving home. It's still hard to let them go, but for a lot of people it's the expense that keeps them from doing it. It's a big obstacle, especially these days.