rest in peace, Kai

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat Kai passed away last night. And I'm having a really hard time accepting that he's gone forever and will never come back

yesterday, he suddenly started crying loudly and it seemed like he had a stomachache. He kept trying to use the litterbox but couldn't. He didn't eat anything all day, when I tried to give him food, he spit out everything. He was only drinking water. and he looked very uncomfortable. He kept going in and out of my room, sitting in the corners, sitting under the bed. and every now and then he made a weird noise.

He was neutered last week and he caught a cold. He was sneezing a lot but vet gave us medicine and we were giving him the medicine from 2 days so yesterday he stopped sneezing.

my aunt said that he probably died because of getting neutered, because last night when he died, he was bleeding from there. He also threw up something green and after throwing up he just fell and started having a problem breathing. That's when i knew he's going. My mum put him in the box he slept in and then he just raised his paws and dropped them and then he was gone. It was confusing, everything happened in under five minutes. I was shaking and didn't know what to do.

I cried all night and I feel like it's my fault that he died. I'm still so shocked that he's gone now.

Screenshot_20211217-173151~2.png

Screenshot_20211217-173209~3.png

rest in peace Kai.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. It is not your fault that he died. It is not common for a cat to die after being neutered, but with any surgery, there is a risk. (The biggest risk is the anesthetic.) You cannot be 100% positive that was the cause. It could have complicated things, but it might not have been the cause. Please, do not be hard on yourself about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. It is not your fault that he died. It is not common for a cat to die after being neutered, but with any surgery, there is a risk. (The biggest risk is the anesthetic.) You cannot be 100% positive that was the cause. It could have complicated things, but it might not have been the cause. Please, do not be hard on yourself about this.
he died 6 days after being neutered, but everything looked fine after surgery. I'm so confused.. but thank you!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
He could have had underlying medical issues, or had a reaction to the anesthetic, but in any case, it wasn't your fault. You were doing everything you could to take care of him properly and you gave him so much love.

I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. Rest in peace, little Kai. :rbheart:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
He could have had underlying medical issues, or had a reaction to the anesthetic, but in any case, it wasn't your fault. You were doing everything you could to take care of him properly and you gave him so much love.

I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. Rest in peace, little Kai. :rbheart:
thank you! I have a question though - are my other cats gonna be okay? after Kai passed away, the other 3 cats have been sneezing, and I'm scared that they caught the cold from him? but his cold was almost gone so maybe not? Could it be because of weather? my house is really cold

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
thank you! I have a question though - are my other cats gonna be okay? after Kai passed away, the other 3 cats have been sneezing, and I'm scared that they caught the cold from him? but his cold was almost gone so maybe not? Could it be because of weather? my house is really cold
I’d suggest you start a thread in the Health forum about your other kitties and your concerns. I hope they’ll be okay. :hugs:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’d suggest you start a thread in the Health forum about your other kitties and your concerns. I hope they’ll be okay. :hugs:
okay I will do that, thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I pray you know your little Kai is at peace now, his love will always be a part of your soul. Complications from neutering are VERY rare, mostly linked to anesthesia or infection. Keep an eye on your others, you might want to get them some heated K&H pet pads to keep warm. they only use a tiny amount of electricity, the amount of a small light bulb. As long as cats are eating, drinking, and using the litter box, everything is normal. Hiding is a bad sign. Make sure they have plenty of humidity, run a humidifier, or place them in a steamy bathroom for a bit after a shower. You loved that sweet boy and he knew that and carried that love with him. His soul will be forever linked with your own.
Live your life as you would want him to if you were the first to go, he would never want to bring such pain to the one he loves so much. Concentrate on caring for your other little ones, they will help you through this and bring comfort to your broken heart. To be loved and mourned after death is a wonderful honor. He shared your life's journey for a little while and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. Please take care, and don't let this diminish the importance of neutering and spaying, it brings them a much better life, I have seen the suffering that happens when they are not.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, please don't dwell on his end, but rather on what he meant to you and your life. Take care.....RIP beautiful Kai. You will never be forgotten. you will always have a secure place in a loving heart.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so terrible, I am so so sorry that you and he had to dendure such an awful thing like that......these things happen, we always don't know or understand why, but sometimes awful things like this just happen. But know that whatever it was, you did NOTHING wrong, you did what you had to do and could do at the time with what you had, it just for some reason had to happen this way, it will make you sad and upset for a long time and that is normal and with time will fade somewhat, you learn to accept it and it doesn't hurt as bad but please remember that it WASN'T your fault!!!! The grief and pain will try to "trick" you into thinking this way, but it just happened, it wasn't because of you and he knows that, and he is just fine now, no more pain or suffering, he is just fine, and when you see him again one day it will be wonderful and tears of joy not pain.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry you lost your little friend, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I pray you know your little Kai is at peace now, his love will always be a part of your soul. Complications from neutering are VERY rare, mostly linked to anesthesia or infection. Keep an eye on your others, you might want to get them some heated K&H pet pads to keep warm. they only use a tiny amount of electricity, the amount of a small light bulb. As long as cats are eating, drinking, and using the litter box, everything is normal. Hiding is a bad sign. Make sure they have plenty of humidity, run a humidifier, or place them in a steamy bathroom for a bit after a shower. You loved that sweet boy and he knew that and carried that love with him. His soul will be forever linked with your own.
Live your life as you would want him to if you were the first to go, he would never want to bring such pain to the one he loves so much. Concentrate on caring for your other little ones, they will help you through this and bring comfort to your broken heart. To be loved and mourned after death is a wonderful honor. He shared your life's journey for a little while and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. Please take care, and don't let this diminish the importance of neutering and spaying, it brings them a much better life, I have seen the suffering that happens when they are not.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, please don't dwell on his end, but rather on what he meant to you and your life. Take care.....RIP beautiful Kai. You will never be forgotten. you will always have a secure place in a loving heart.
Thank you so much. I will concentrate on caring for the other three. But I'm overthinking a lot and I'm so worried about them now

I posted a thread in cat health forum, "cat keeps sneezing" which has more information on what's happening at home right now. We don't have a humidifier, but I'll try to put them in the bathroom after a shower. I'm keeping them in my room so they stay warm. I have allergies all year so seeing Rio sneezing is hurting me a lot.

our vet told us that he is not gonna be available til monday and he is not answering calls either. So my aunt told her vet about Rio so he told us about a medicine, my aunt gives that to her cat when he's sneezing a lot so for Rio I was told to give him that once a day for 3 days. After I gave him that, he's finally sleeping peacefully and isn't sneezing as much as he was yesterday, but still sneezing though.

I don't think he's hiding, but he's staying under the bed. maybe because it's warm there? He's coming out to eat and drink, use litterbox, or to play, and he's coming when I call him.

again, thank you

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so terrible, I am so so sorry that you and he had to dendure such an awful thing like that......these things happen, we always don't know or understand why, but sometimes awful things like this just happen. But know that whatever it was, you did NOTHING wrong, you did what you had to do and could do at the time with what you had, it just for some reason had to happen this way, it will make you sad and upset for a long time and that is normal and with time will fade somewhat, you learn to accept it and it doesn't hurt as bad but please remember that it WASN'T your fault!!!! The grief and pain will try to "trick" you into thinking this way, but it just happened, it wasn't because of you and he knows that, and he is just fine now, no more pain or suffering, he is just fine, and when you see him again one day it will be wonderful and tears of joy not pain.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry you lost your little friend, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:
Thank you! I'm feeling a little better today. I know he's in a better place now and he's not in pain anymore. But I saw him die in front of me so I keep remembering that.

my mum is the one who suggested that we get him neutered so she keeps saying it's her fault. We know neutering and spaying is important but after all that happened, it feels weird.

but I know we did our best for him and we were there for him til his last breath

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kai, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is not your fault. Not one bit. You did everything for Kai that you could, that you knew to do. And Kai knows that, too. From his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he sends his love, now translated and purified into Love, to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides, always forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe me, I have seen what NOT neutering does to a cat, the horrible abscesses from fights, the restlessness, the need to get outside, the torn-off ears, the missing eyes, it is just horrible. The chance of something like this happening is VERY low, I'm just so sorry you had to be the one going through it. Please tell your mom she had the best intentions, she should hold no guilt, to be guilty you have to intend to do something, and she did not.......

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kai, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is not your fault. Not one bit. You did everything for Kai that you could, that you knew to do. And Kai knows that, too. From his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he sends his love, now translated and purified into Love, to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides, always forever, Love abides.
thank you! i'll remember kai with happy memories now

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe me, I have seen what NOT neutering does to a cat, the horrible abscesses from fights, the restlessness, the need to get outside, the torn-off ears, the missing eyes, it is just horrible. The chance of something like this happening is VERY low, I'm just so sorry you had to be the one going through it. Please tell your mom she had the best intentions, she should hold no guilt, to be guilty you have to intend to do something, and she did not.......
yes i know, I used to have a cat named Oreo and i didn't get him neutered earlier so he used to get in horrible fights, and he never really stayed at home. I regret that a lot. He was only 3 years old when he died. So after that I made sure to get my cats fixed. Kai was such a sweet cat and it's so strange not hearing his voice at home anymore. He was only about 9 months old...

I keep telling my mum that it's not her fault, or our fault but she keeps saying that Kai died because of her

My mum and i, we both were thinking that we will get to spend many years with Kai now that he's neutered and won't go outside but that won't happen anymore..

other than that, Rio isn't sneezing as much as before, and i'm doing my best to take good care of my cats. But i'm overthinking and worrying a lot now

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Kai. I'm not a vet, but from the symptoms you described, I think Kai ate something bad for him.

As quick as it happened, there wasn't anything you or your mom could have done. Kai would want you be present so you can take care of your furry family.

Your mom needs your support as well.

shoenig369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat Kai passed away last night. And I'm having a really hard time accepting that he's gone forever and will never come back

yesterday, he suddenly started crying loudly and it seemed like he had a stomachache. He kept trying to use the litterbox but couldn't. He didn't eat anything all day, when I tried to give him food, he spit out everything. He was only drinking water. and he looked very uncomfortable. He kept going in and out of my room, sitting in the corners, sitting under the bed. and every now and then he made a weird noise.

He was neutered last week and he caught a cold. He was sneezing a lot but vet gave us medicine and we were giving him the medicine from 2 days so yesterday he stopped sneezing.

my aunt said that he probably died because of getting neutered, because last night when he died, he was bleeding from there. He also threw up something green and after throwing up he just fell and started having a problem breathing. That's when i knew he's going. My mum put him in the box he slept in and then he just raised his paws and dropped them and then he was gone. It was confusing, everything happened in under five minutes. I was shaking and didn't know what to do.

I cried all night and I feel like it's my fault that he died. I'm still so shocked that he's gone now.

View attachment 404553
View attachment 404554

rest in peace Kai.
I am so, so sorry. It breaks my heart to read your post. It is so hard to go through this. But he looked like a very happy cat and you did that for him. Be happy that you were able to give that to him. I feel sure he loved you very much. I know how hard it is right now but after some time it will get easier for you to remember the great times you had together. These times will far outweigh this burden of grief and guilt you feel right now.

Sadly, we are blessed with these wonderful animals for only a relatively short time but I can take great pleasure when I look back on the many cats I have had and loved (I am 70 years old so I have had a few!). I remember the funny little habits they had, or the special way they rubbed up against me to get attention, and the special little "meows" they have they makes them so loving and unique. Remember both you and he were better for having known and loved each other. Take solace in that. I wish I had the power to make this all better for you but only time and the good memories can fix that, and it will!

If I don't stop now you're going to have me crying all over my keyboard. Lol.
God bless you and your beloved Kai.

Sincerely,
Stephen

Thanks for including the pictures.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to remember.......99% of what we worry about DOES NOT COME TRUE!
thank you, reading this made me feel better, i will remember this!

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Kai. I'm not a vet, but from the symptoms you described, I think Kai ate something bad for him.

As quick as it happened, there wasn't anything you or your mom could have done. Kai would want you be present so you can take care of your furry family.

Your mom needs your support as well.
my mum thought the same thing, that kai ate something bad. but I don't know what he could've eaten because I don't leave food out for my cats and I feed them 3 times a day and sit with them until they've finished their food. i also give them clean water

I don't know the reason of his death but I wish that didn't happen..

the worst part of all this is we saw him die and there was nothing we could do. maybe we wouldn't have such a hard time with this if we didn't see all that happen right in front of us. it's hard to forget, but I think we will feel better after some time