Resident cat won't stop fighting/playing with new cat

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also thanks for everyone’s advice! Really appreciate the awesome community here. Feels great that I’m not alone!
This site is very helpful. I just started using it 2 months ago.
We have a similar issue with my resident cat, Finn (7YO female) being quite unfriendly to the new kitten Xander (5mo old male).
Finn has always been a grouchy cat. I’m actually kind of pleased with the fact that she mostly just hisses atXander. She goes insane and puffs up like a blowfish when she sees cats outside.
Sometimes I catch them laying calmly, a few feet apart, but when I walk into the room, Finn starts hissing at the kitten. So I think a lot of it is jealousy/territorial. I’m Finn’s territory 😂

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Curious how this has worked out? I am now in a similar situation, having introduced a new kitten home three weeks ago, to a not appreciative resident Cat. I can completely relate to your earlier posts. So was wondering if things improved since July.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females almost always are very territorial and it just takes time and a LOT of it to get everyone settled down. One thing to watch for is if the newcomer comes and initiates play, or runs and hides after getting bopped but comes right back, everything is fine. they are truly getting hurt when they run and hide when the resident cat appears and stay hidden. If blood is drawn regularly, that is NOT good. With all the kittens I have had in my years their fighting and the discipline the mama doles out sounds like they are killing each other. No one gets truly hurt. Cats just take a long time to get used to each other, never force the issue. Laying in the same room and not fighting is good, a first step!