Resident cat HATES new kitten

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! We have had our resident cat Toast for coming up on 3 years. She grew up with her sister Moody but has never been a fan of other cats, not even Moody. Moody has since passed and we decided to get another cat. However, she avoid the kitten like the plague and will hiss if near her or if she sees her.

Is there any way we can get our resident cat to like this new member of the family? Kitten has been with us a little less than a month now. Toast is indoor/outdoor and would rather be outside or in the farthest room in the house. Toast is sweet as can be, vocal cat. She honestly likes dogs more than other cats. Jiji, the kitten, doesn't mind her presence and is not scared of her but honestly is a very laid back kitten.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bibi_Jiji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you keep your resident cat inside and follow introduction steps?: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

I suggest you check out these threads in particular. The poster was in a similar situation.: Introducing a 6-month-old female kitten to a 2-year-old cat

Cat Introduction 5 weeks in - video of resident cat crying?
Thank you! Yes, the cats are technically separated but neither truly venture out too far into the others territory. I will look into these other forums for advise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introductions tend to be very tricky when one is an indoor/outdoor cat that can use avoidance to avoid getting used to the other cat. I've not seen any great strategies to modify the standard approaches to deal with this issue, other than hoping for the best or keeping the indoor/outdoor in for a bit. Read the guides A Alldara linked, but you might need to adapt them to deal with this issue if you sense that avoidance is preventing any momentum.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The reaIIy good things are, #1, your resident cat does NOT attack the kitten (that wouId be unusuaI, but can happen), and #2, your kitten is NOT afraid of the resident cat. Do read those articIes, and do try to keep the resident cat in whiIe she adjusts to the kitten. They do not need to be best buds to get the advantages of not being an onIy cat, just to peacefuIIy toIerate each other.