Introducing a 6-month-old female kitten to a 2-year-old cat

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I appreciate this question has been done to death as I think I've read nearly every single 'introduction' post I could find, but to allay my own anxiety and stress (hello stress acne and lack of appetite!) I'd love to get some opinions from you experts.

I have a 2-year-old indoor/outdoor cat, Phoebe, and I love her intensely! I've recently taken home a 5-month-old Turkish Angora kitten, Ava, who is amazing! Super affectionate and friendly. We only have a 1 bedroom house and Phoebe goes everywhere apart from the bathroom, so the bathroom is Ava's sanctuary. I sleep on the bathroom floor with Ava at night and she curls up next to me and purrs away - she's settling in great.

I have let Ava out into the bedroom when Phoebe plays outside, and done various scent swaps, so I'm pretty sure Phoebe knows there's another creature here, no hissing, just curious sniffing, that hilarious 'stink face' and that's about it.

I tried the Jackson Galaxy method of trying to feed on opposite sides of the door, which has not worked a single time in the last 10 days - I end up putting Phoebe's food back downstairs to her regular place. I've stopped doing this as Phoebe has shown some signs of stress/anxiety by not eating very much for the last few days and that's something I will not allow to happen.

I'm waiting for a baby gate to be delivered so I've tried the last 3 days to crack open Ava's door and try to gently encourage Phoebe to see her. The first time I did this, Phoebe hissed and growled and had a puffy tail, so I closed the door. When I've tried to do it again (last night and the night before), Phoebe wouldn't come close. She didn't hiss or anything, just sat where she was and didn't move (progress?).

This morning, Phoebe was outside playing with Da Bird with my partner, so we let Ava into our bedroom so I could play with her. Phoebe managed to come into the bedroom! The door was closed, I have no idea how she did that. Ava was on the bed and Phoebe just walked past the bed and didn't even notice her (or want to acknowledge her? not sure) until I picked up Ava. Phoebe saw Ava then. They were about a metre apart - Phoebe sitting on my desk chair, Ava in my arms. Phoebe's tail went big but she didn't move, just looked at Ava. Ava started doing little kitten growls so I then put Ava back in her sanctuary.

Straight away I played with Phoebe and gave her treats, and she was eating those treats in our bedroom where Ava had just spent the last couple of hours! Does this mean anything or not really? I'm trying to be hyper-aware of any signs of progress or problems, and that felt like an ok sign to me?

Next step is to get the baby gate set up as soon as it arrives (tomorrow).

It's been nearly 2 weeks since I brought Ava home so I do think it's now time for visual access between the gate. Should I expect hissing and growling? And if so, how do I make sure both kitties are happy in between periods of trying to allow them to see each other?

A stressed cat lover xx

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. While younger cats tend to adapt better than older ones when introducing another cat - two weeks is absolutely no time at all. And, based on what you are describing, it doesn't seem to be going all that bad for just two weeks. When looking at the various steps involved in introductions, each step along the way should be successful before moving to the next step. Some steps will take longer than others, and one cat may take longer at any given step than the other cat. The rule of thumb is that you can only progress from step to step at the pace of the slowest adapting cat.

I personally don't know the process proposed by Jackson Galaxy, but maybe take a look at the TCS articles relative to a new cat and to introductions to see if there is any additional information that could help you.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it seems to be going fine. I think its fine to do a week or even two of visual access, but I would strongly encourage you not to let your stress lead you to go longer than that. Introductions involving a kitten to an adult have one key advantage -- adults dont attack kittens with intent to injure. At some point around 6 monthish, give or take, that protection goes away. Since your kitten is already 5 months, there would need to be clear signs of significant stress for me to keep an intro going more than another week or at most two. You want to use that kitten time, where you can safely let them work stuff out even if there is some mild stress remaining.

Remember, kitten plus two year old the chances of ultimate success are extremely high regardless of what you do. That doesn't mean there wont be some tension at face-to-face, but the prospects for friendship at the end of the day are very good. So I'l wish you good luck, but you are unlikely to need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your reassuring responses, it's really appreciated! We put the baby gate up but honestly, Phoebe will not even look in the direction of Ava! She just runs past. Phoebe is still acting relatively fine through all this, still plays and eats (albeit not as much as usual, but she is a bit overweight anyway) and sleeps. Is this relatively normal? Ava is starting to get pretty distraught being locked away in quite a small room now, so I'm really conscious that Ava does need to start being able to be freer, but if Phoebe won't even look in the direction of Ava, I'm wondering if this is not going to work. A few more weeks of Ava being locked away is starting to feel a bit cruel :(

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do I absolutely need to keep them behind gates until Phoebe at least looks at her? And then repeat that for another week or so? I don't want to rush things and cause distress and stress for either of them, but I'm starting to feel so sorry for little Ava. She cries at night and I have to go and sleep on the bathroom floor with her. I play with her twice a day in our bedroom for over an hour each time, but I still feel like I'm neglecting her little soul by keeping her mainly in one not-too-big room.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd take the temperature. As long as cats dont actually fight, a tiny bit of drama doesn't set you back. And since one party is a 5 month old kitten, there will not be an actual fight. But if you aren't as experienced and dont have the confidence to let them mingle and take the temperature, thats fine too. Another week won't hurt anything.

To be clear, if you let them mingle and there is just some low key hissing, thats a success, and I'd give them a more extended trial together.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard a few people worried about it 'being cruel' to a new cat to be 'locked away'. That is your feelings that you are imposing on Ava. She has no concept as you see it. As long as you give her attention as she needs, which means you have to sacrifice how you would normally do things, to ensure that she isn't left alone for long hours, I sincerely doubt her being in her own space is deemed to be 'cruel' by her. She just wants attention; it doesn't matter what room it is in.

There is such a thing as site swapping, as discussed in the introduction article, where Ava is exposed to other parts of the house while Phoebe is kept in another part of the home.

Remember, fairness is a two-way street, and it applies just as much to Phoebe as it does Ava. It is a process and young Ava will likely forget this whole experience long before Phoebe does.

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much both, I can't tell you how grateful I am for all your advice. Ava sleeps most of the day, she tends to wake me up at about 7am, I play with her for over an hour, feed her, she's sleeping again until about 6pm. Then she's in our bedroom playing while Phoebe goes exploring outside for a couple of hours, then I feed her and she goes to sleep again. So she's probably out of her room for maybe 4 hours a day. This is ok do you think? I have bought a little harness for her actually, do you think it could be a good idea to now have supervised face to face with Ava in a harness incase she gets too "kitteny" and Phoebe perceived it as a threat? Instead of trying to do the gated viewing?

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the site swapping I've tried to do but with only partial success! Phoebe will absolutely not go into Ava's room when Ava is in our bedroom, but Ava's scent is everywhere in the bedroom which is where Phoebe sleeps, both cats have sniffed around so I think the 'scent' part of the desensitisation is ok, it's just the visual I'm really struggling to get going.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try the harness, but it might seem more 'imposing' to Phoebe to have Ava near when there is no gate separating them. All you can do is try and see what happens. The fact that Phoebe doesn't even want to look at Ava through a gate suggests she is not ready to move forward. So, I guess a try or two with the harness will tell you if you overstepped Phoebe's readiness!!

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aaah I see. I wasn't sure if Phoebe not looking at Ava was indifference or fear. If you think it's fear, I will absolutely keep things as they are for now and try gated interaction and hope that Phoebe starts at least being curious. I have 3 Feliway diffusers running and have started Phoebe on Zylkene today, to see if that helps. She's definitely a timid cat who has probably become fearful of other cats thanks to our aggressive next-door-neighbour cat trying to get into our house many times over the years. I just hope that hasn't done lasting damage to my little Pheebs.

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

This morning we managed a little bit of visual through the gate! Ava was eating her breakfast and Phoebe was around her corner, cautiously looking at her, with her head ever so slightly peeking around the wall. Phoebe's eyes were very dilated but no big fluffy tail and no hissing! This lasted maybe 2 minutes or so before Phoebe skiddadled and is now sitting in the garden.

First visual completed but still quite a way to go.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I skipped the food portion completely for meals. It doesn't work in my home and created too much cat stress. It works well for some I guess.

I do use high reward treats though like Churus and usually get a different bag of dry food and use that as a treat during intros. (Kitten food works in a pinch)

Having their own separate meal time I find is a comfort. It's the last thing I encourage togetherness for.

I would encourage during this time to keep Phoebe inside, or in an enclosed outdoor space or leash & harness. If something happens with a cat outside, it could lead to Phoebe having agression towards your new cat. This is especially true during introductions when tension is already high.

I do take my cats to our fenced yard myself, but I did keep Nobel in for the first 4 months of each cat.

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your advice and reassurance! Phoebe is outside during the day as usual, but I've made sure she doesn't go out on her normal night-time patrols. She's now inside pre-11pm. She hates it but it's how it needs to be.

Not much more progression really but no regression so taking the win!

Another visual through the gate where they both looked at each other for about 30 seconds before Phoebe ran away with a slightly puffy tail. No hissing, growling or swatting. Just going to keep doing this every day until Phoebe can look at Ava without running off.

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More advice needed please!!

I am exhausted. I'm so burnt out that I had to call my boss and ended up crying to him how burnt out and stressed I am.

Ava is in our only bathroom, it's only 2x2 metres (small) and she is clawing and meowing multiple times per day to get out of there, but more times than not, I can't let her out because Phoebe is around and they'll see each other (open plan home). I do let her out with Phoebe goes outside but can't relax ever, constantly checking the garden to see if Phoebe is inside or out, ready to swiftly try to put Ava back in the bathroom, knowing Ava doesn't want to be in there so she'll cry and paw at the door. Phoebe today saw Ava sitting on our bedroom windowsill when Phoebe was in our garden! She just looked at her. Then I removed Ava. Phoebe came back inside, are her food, went to sleep.

Phoebe has seen Ava through the gate maybe 3 or 4 times now, looks at her for 30 seconds, no hissing or any signs of aggression, but then runs off with a slightly puffy tail. But then she's acting normally straight after - eats normally, plays with me, goes exploring outside then comes back and sleeps in her bed, she seems fine, but I just can't get her to stay in Ava's presence for long enough for her to realise Ava is no threat at all. Trying to keep them apart all the time while working a full time job at home is really starting to take its toll. I have spoken to a couple of irl cat owners and they have suggested to try their first face to face session and just see how it goes. Phoebe doesn't seem aggressive at all, just afraid still. My mental health is rapidly taking a turn for the worse and I just don't know if I should keep doing what I'm doing which is really difficult and hard work, or just go for a supervised in-room meet.

Can someone help me please, I'm at my wit's end. I'm in the process of buying my first home, having a really busy period at work, and I'm just absolutely burnt out. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Separating your open plan into two sections (see below for one uncomplicated DIY way), is what I would suggest. It will enable Ava to have more space access than she currently has, and still keep Phoebe and her separated.

Here (see pic below) is an example of a blockade that can be made for any sized opening - even across a room if need be. It is made from shelving that can be bought at many home improvement stores. Set the shelving on its side and zip tie each segment of the shelving to make a 'foldable door'. The shelving can be cut to most any height that you want or need. All you have to do gain access to either side of the blockade is to fold a segment back. This type of shelving can made to go across doorways too. It can also be secured to walls/doorways using command hooks and strings/ropes/ties of most any kind. Then, you just slip the tie off the command hook for access and replace the tie on the hook when you want to close it up again. You can also use sheets to cover the bottom portion of the blockade to block visual access as necessary. The sheets can be pulled up, and secured in whatever manner you want, at those times when you want visual access.

Shelving blockade.png

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Phoebe has seen Ava through the gate maybe 3 or 4 times now, looks at her for 30 seconds, no hissing or any signs of aggression, but then runs off with a slightly puffy tail. But then she's acting normally straight after - eats normally, plays with me, goes exploring outside then comes back and sleeps in her bed, she seems fine...."

This is great catelionis catelionis

Are you off over the weekend? Can you keep Phoebe in for the weekend and basically just do some long supervised out time for Ava where you're keeping Ava engaged?

I would try Friday night camping out at the gate and letting them have the whole evening sighted (can even do a site swap in there). Then letting Ava out in the AM, give Phoebe a few hours break over lunch, let Ava back out for afternoon. Ava back to bathroom during your meal prep time and eating and then put for the evening.

This is basically how we did for Magnus first few days out. And one human just stayed on cat duty. Basically staying near whichever cat was less mobile and garnishing positive interactions with treats.

I don't really see any speed-run of intros working at the pace you hope for without keeping Phoebe in for a few days. But perhaps other have experience with this.

Disclaimer: I have NOT tried the following, but some experienced cat owners DO have experience with small space introductions. I'll post a few YouTube videos. I've watched them out of interest in pacing.

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much!! Before seeing your posts, I thought I might try utilising my glass patio doors for a visual to see how Phoebe would react. I am in no way a body-language expert but obviously Phoebe is clearly showing signs of fear or aggression with an arched back, hair standing on end and I think hissing (couldn't hear the noise but could see her mouth). I recorded it and will upload shortly.

Both sets of advice are hugely valuable and I'm going to think further on the best way to approach (if the patio door visual is not a good one). Me and my partner are off this weekend yes, so we can focus all our attention on getting this moving along!

catelionis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here's the video. After 2 mins I put Ava in our bedroom and played with Phoebe in the garden and she seemed fine-ish. Half playing and half looking around. Should I continue with this way of utisiling my glass doors or does this look like too much for Pheebs? Thank you so much for your help!

Meemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to sound like every post above. But I only just finished introducing a mainecoon kitten to our 1.5 year old mainecoon this week and found a door net was the magic ticket!
She hated her hissing at the door he was in, growling. Every time they see each other after the scent swapping for 6 days hissing and growling (the kitten is an angel and cuddly, no hisses)..
So this weekend just gone we had the kitten sleeping our room and had our door wide open but had a huge door net up with velcro so they had been separated but still see each other, and listened to 24 hours of growls and hisses.. second night though woke up in the morning and they are pawing at each other through the net, so I removed the net and they have been zoomying around the house every since (odd hiss).

So for us, best thing after scent swapping was successful but face to face seemed to be a non starter.. just leaving the net up permanent they seemed to get over it and make friends.
Good luck, growling, hissing, patting all normal, it is early days :)