Resident cat hate new cat, she chases & corner him, then just relax as long he doesn't move out of her sight (video link inside)

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, so we have resident cat, tabby, female, 3.5 years old 3.1 kg and spayed, and a new cat, black, male, 2 years old, 5.2 kg and neutered.

female cat absolutely hate his guts, at first she would yell at him and swat at him without using claws, then he bit her at the neck after few days when she started to accept him and he managed to get close to her, she hated him even more and started chasing him and swatting him, he then started using his claws and injured her, and then she started using her claws too and injured him, all the injuries are not so bad, but i'm sure they did some really bad emotional damage

we started using cat nail caps and it seems this made it better a bit, but she always need to keep the new cat in her sight, she would chase him and he would hide under the sofa, and she would just camp outside, she even seems relaxed, i just don't understand what does that mean, can you look at video and give me your thoughts? we had the new cat for 36 days now

EDIT: just now, they had a swatting match, then stopped, then they made slow blinks at each others! i don't understand what does that mean, why is she slow blinking at him if she is pissed at him?

thank you

Last edited:

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my mom got a new cat, the resident cat would chase the cat into a bathroom and "guard" it so she was unable to come out. The poor new kitty would be trapped in that bathroom terrified to emerge because if she tried she'd get attacked. That looks similar to what's happening here. It doesn't sound like things are progressing in the right direction if they are getting more hostile and starting to injure.

What does resident cat do if he new cat tries to leave that hiding spot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my mom got a new cat, the resident cat would chase the cat into a bathroom and "guard" it so she was unable to come out. The poor new kitty would be trapped in that bathroom terrified to emerge because if she tried she'd get attacked. That looks similar to what's happening here. It doesn't sound like things are progressing in the right direction if they are getting more hostile and starting to injure.

What does resident cat do if he new cat tries to leave that hiding spot?
few days ago she would chase and they would have a swatting match with screaming, lately she sometime get bored and leave him, sometimes she doesn't even care if he leaves her sight.

just now, they had a swatting match, then stopped, then made slow blinks at each others! i don't understand would does that mean, why is she slow blinking at him if she is pissed at him?

Edit: + also if i may ask, did the cats you mentioned gotten used to each others and guarding stopped?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you did any sort of introduction process. I think that you might consider taking a look at this TCS article (see link below) for some tips on how to back up a bit and to proceed in a more controlled, cautious manner. It might make for a more cohesive relationship down the road. I also included another article about helping a new cat adapt to your home, which might help too.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
few days ago she would chase and they would have a swatting match with screaming, lately she sometime get bored and leave him, sometimes she doesn't even care if he leaves her sight.

just now, they had a swatting match, then stopped, then made slow blinks at each others! i don't understand would does that mean, why is she slow blinking at him if she is pissed at him?

Edit: + also if i may ask, did the cats you mentioned gotten used to each others and guarding stopped?
The behavior stopped, but my mom had to go back to square 1 with slow introductions. Only after she did that did the bullying stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you did any sort of introduction process. I think that you might consider taking a look at this TCS article (see link below) for some tips on how to back up a bit and to proceed in a more controlled, cautious manner. It might make for a more cohesive relationship down the road. I also included another article about helping a new cat adapt to your home, which might help too.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
I did but I foolishly rushed it, they are actually doing better in the last two days, I'm just wondering why they seems relaxed in the video, and why the slow blinking at each other after a fight, what does it mean in their context?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't only have two modes, hate or friends. This is something in the middle, and maybe shifted a bit to the left or right. Something like "I don't trust you! Keep back and dont try anything funny!" In my experience, this isn't necessarily so bad, and they can often get past it. As you've seen, the cat that is exhibiting this behavior can get bored, see that nothing bad is happening, and realize that new cat just isn't a big deal. Of course, you do need to watch and make sure that is what will happen, since its also possible that things can take a turn for the worse and they can fight. If they fight, you will absolutely need to back up and do a full introduction. But if its pretty clear they won't actually fight, after you've watched them for hours, maybe several times, then you can let them be together and work it out.