Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama , ashade1 ashade1 had a young cat named Ghost with a broken leg that healed poorly in one of the colonies she tends. Ghost found a forever home late last year. I'm an expert due to currently reading that thread from start to finish.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks ileen ileen . Now I remember which one Ghost was. :catlove:

Reading that thread must be a bit like reading a novel, unable to stop, as you want to know what happens next. :petcat:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep. I actually think I read the beginning last year because I remember the name Clyde, but I was brought to page 1 so I started again. I'm on page 34 now.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all, sorry for disappearing but it has been kitten madness around here! We get an overwhelming amount of messages from full kill shelters, people with stray cats and kittens, and other rescue groups this time of year. We have a waitlist a mile long. I have stayed away from the bottle babies for a while because I simply do not have time for that. Well suprise! I just took one in! He is an odd case.. he has teeth and pointy stand up ears... which would make me think he is 3+ weeks.. but he is the size of a one week old! When I got him yesterday he was only 4.2oz! I have been feeding him goats milk with a little bit of turkey baby food in it because I am just not sure developmentally where he is at! I also dont know how much/how often he needs to eat. When I got him his finder was feeding wet food and they said he was nibbling at it, but he was starving! He was nibbling at my fingers on the ride home. When we got home he ate about 15 mls. He wont latch to a bottle yet so we are syringe feeding him with a miracle nipple. He has been taking about 9mls every 3 hours... does that sound ok? No poop yet but good clear pee.
Another thing... he appears to be blind, or at least partially blind. His pupils are very cloudy, no sign of infection though.
IMG_0910.jpg

We have named him Jake, we picked him up off of a road called Jake's Run Rd

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is an excellent amount of food! He should begin to grow now if you keep this up.

He is adorable!

Can you get a vet to look at his eyes and give you drops to try? Perhaps some sight can be saved if you move quickly with treatment.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We just got him yesterday so I wanted to get a bit of weight on him before making a vet appointment... do you think I could add some canned kitten food to his formula? To get him more calories? He does have teeth, I just dont know where his stomach and liver are developmentally if I should add canned food or stick to the formula... do you think every three hours is ok to feed him too?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am definitely worried about exposing him to something at the vet since he is so small... there is panleuk going around like crazy here with the other groups. Our normal vet that we take strange things to (like his eye problem) is out of town I think for this week so we will have to figure it out!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just got an emergency, very last second HEAVILY pregnant beautiful orange tabby. Someone abandoned it at a busy shopping center. I hate people. Didn't have room for this one but I didn't want her to have her babies up there and us not be able to find them. It's a HUGE shopping center on this giant hillside.
Screenshot_20180626-204942.jpg

Welcome to the rescue momma.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is none of the vets will give me drops without an exam and no one I called today has any openings for like a week and a half unless I want to come in for an "emergency appointment" which is $75 on top of the exam fee and medicine. What kind of drops do you think would help? There doesn't seem to be any infection... I do have terramycin though if you think I should try that... I am going to call the other vet clinics today and see when they have any openings. I told my vet to let me know if they get a cancelation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use the terramycin for now 2-3 times a day, and take the first available appointment. I’m hoping this kitten’s “cloudy” eyes can be saved.

It looks serious, but I’ve seen miraculous changes in kittens’ eyes with treatment.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have never seen anything like this! Do you know what it could be? Usually when I see them cloudy like that it is scar tissue from a previous infection... but he is so young that if it was from an infection surely he would still have it? I wonder if it could be just bad genetics too