Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of the kittens are looking less perky than they did yesterday. Two still look great. However today one of the less perky ones started vomiting roundworms. Which is odd considering that they were on Panacur for 2 weeks straight for the possible giardia. So I gave everyone pyrantel today too. Always something.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe I read that those pesky worms can actually hide in the folds of the intestines and be the DICKENS to get rid of.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Two of the kittens started to crash yesterday. They werent eating on their own so I started force syringe feeding them and giving sub q fluids. The little orange boy was the worst. He was vomiting the roundworms the worst. He passed this morning. I think maybe he had a blockage from the worms and that is why he stopped eating and drinking. The other kitten who was fading is doing a little better today... she isnt fighting me to eat when I syringe feed her and she sniffed at the others food so I think her appetite might be coming back. The other two still look great, fingers crossed. They were all supposed to be spayed/neutered next Tuesday but I am postponing it a week. I can't remember how soon after we start Albon that their poop normally clears up... they still have diarrhea now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how you keep doing all you do. It exhausts and stresses me just reading your posts. And the roundworms sound positively disgusting. Sending vibes that the other kittens will continue to improve. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Orange Boy, dream you deep. We knew you, and you are remembered.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the little girl, and a candle lit!
000000000000000.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good decision to postpone their surgeries for a week. So sad that one did not make it. The albon can take awhile, especially since they had worms. If the diarrhea continues, they may need metronidazole.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The surviving three are doing very well! Poops are becoming semi solid, still runny and stinky and an off color but everyone is eating, gaining weight and playing! And this-
Remi has been described as a "bad mom". As soon as the kittens started eating kitten food she stopped nursing them or really having anything to do with them. Today when I came in the bathroom I found them like this. I am not sure if they were mourning their siblings or they are just feeling better and decided to cuddle? I am not sure but it is so sweet!
20180304_170632.jpg

Last edited:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also we have THREE very stressful spay/neuter trips this week. One tomorrow (Monday), one Tuesday and one Wednesday. With a total of 29 cats going for their spays/neuters! Appointments are for ferals, owned cats, fostered cats, and some of our former fosters who were adopted before their spays. Great things happening but I am so stressed as usual lol I will be so happy when it is all done.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Some more tabby loving for you guys, because we are swimming in brown tabby cats right now lol
FB_IMG_1520233894788.jpg
FB_IMG_1520233897583.jpg
FB_IMG_1520233900085.jpg

Here are three of the four 9 month old tabbies we got from that crazy lady a week ago. These three have really come out of their shells and are pretty social with me- thank God. I don't know what I would do with 4 feral cats lol. One is still pretty shy, but I am sure he will come around soon! I still am desperately needing placement for them. They are going for their spays/neuters this week then hopefully we can get them out of the crates in my garage which certainly is NOT ideal.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Also we have THREE very stressful spay/neuter trips this week. One tomorrow (Monday), one Tuesday and one Wednesday. With a total of 29 cats going for their spays/neuters! Appointments are for ferals, owned cats, fostered cats, and some of our former fosters who were adopted before their spays. Great things happening but I am so stressed as usual lol I will be so happy when it is all done.
:grouphug::hearthrob::redheartpump::grouphug2:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will all work out - it always does. You do so much!

I love those brown tabbies!

What do you think about adding metronidazole to the kittens’ protocol? The smelly diarrhea concerns me.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about the metro when they were having so much diarrhea the first time but it is starting to get more formed now with the Albon... I am just going to keep an eye on it and if it isn't more solid the next day or two I will see about calling the vet for more metro, I am all out.
So last minute stressful rescue run! The rescue that we have worked with several times that is 4 hours away has given us the opportunity to send 35 cats this Wednesday! The exciting part is that they will take them up to 3 years old now! Where before they would only take kittens or only a very small amount of cats up to a year. This is great for us to get our wait list down for this start of kitten season! They will only take friendly cats (most of their adoptions are from adoption events so they don't want to pull cats that wouldn't do well) I think 2 of these 4 tabbies would do great so I am going to try to send them (they do send cats back with us sometimes). I also have 4 cats on my waitlist that I am going to send as well as 2 adult cats in a foster home that I am going to try to send and then I am going to try to send one or two of my adults! Three spay trips and a last minute rescue run- you guys know how I stress lol. Great things, but why do they all have to happen at once?? I have been running all around picking cats up to be spayed, meeting transport, taking them back to owners, and now also at the same time I will be rounding cats up for the rescue run! Phew! I need to take a day to prepare for the stress of kitten season lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will find in life that when it rains, it pours. Everything always happens at once. I think it’s just karma. ;)

It’s wonderful they will take more cats!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. I'm gone for a day, and things just blow sky-high, thankfully, both bad AND good things! What wonderful news, that they will now take adult cats! That should take SOME strain off, at any rate!