Releasing relocated feral colony soon - any advice welcome

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a couple of months of nerve-wracking stress and anxiety, a new location was found for my feral colony.   They are 7 very, very lucky cats.

They have been in an enclosure for close to a month.  According to Alley Cat Allies, that's the recommended time for confinement.

I'm getting nervous about the actual release.   I'm going to check the weather before releasing the cats, though the enclosure will remain in place for a week or two after they're out.  They'll continue to have shelter once the enclosure is gone, as well.

I'm thinking that I should release them in the morning, after they've had a good meal ( we've been feeding them twice daily).   I'll leave a used litter box or two in the enclosure and spread some litter around on the ground further away.   I don't usually feed dry food except as a treat, but maybe I should set several small bowls of it out, too.

So much effort has gone into this relocation.   I want to do everything possible to make it successful.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should do.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your successful relocation thus far. Since you have the enclosure, I would opt to keep them confined a wee bit longer than a month, if possible. The longer the better, IMO. BUT, if not, yes, start to put out some dry food bowls in that enclosure now, leave the enclosure up for as long as you can - longer than two weeks after release, I think. Keep things the same. Food/water/litter/shelter, etc. Set up the feeding stations before release near the enclosure as well. Days before release. That way the cats will visually see the stations as well. OR just keep feeding them inside the enclosure for a few weeks after release. I have found over the years that with anything "cats", the slower, the longer the process, the better. I think it is better to keep them confined a bit longer than most for a greater success rate for them to stick around once released. Your doing a great job and I bet the kitties will all be fine. Still I understand those nerves on release day. Do it in the wee hours of the morning after sunrise. You have a good plan and I can't think of anything you have missed!! :bigthumb:

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed this!  So happy the relocation is going well.  As Feralvr says,it sounds like you are doing everything right.  I agree if you can keep them in the enclosure a little longer, it will help make sure they are comfortable and familiar with their new digs.

Actually, is there a reason they can't stay inside the enclosure permanently?  It would certainly keep them safe.  If not, a few extra days or a week confined will help.

Please keep us posted!