Relative Pushing For Declaw

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A relative has recently gotten a three month old kitten. Over Thanksgiving, naturally, she and I talked about her kitten and my two new kittens, the toys they like, the silly things they do, etc.
However, she then asked if I was going to declaw my kittens. I said absolutely not, and left it at that, thinking she would get the message. She apparently did not.
She told me proudly that she was going to declaw her kitten, and suggested I do the same. Unsure of what to say, I repeated that I was not going to declaw my kittens. She looked at me like I was crazy.
The rest of the week she pressed about it, making subtle remarks like “ouch those claws!” and “you’ll have to buy all new furniture, do you really want to do that?” I tried to dodge these remarks, as I felt if I tried to educate her on how horrible declawing is, she’d get upset.
The last day, right before leaving, she pushed again, hard. She flat out told me I should declaw my cats. I began explaining that the procedure was inhumane and can cause numerous issues for cats, but she cut me off before I’d even finished my first sentence. “My cat was declawed and he lived for 12 years! He was fine, it’s not bad for them.” Before I could respond, she’d again told me that I need to get them declawed when I take them to be neutered.
At that point I was exasperated. I’d avoided confronting her the entire week and held my tongue, but in that moment I had had it. I looked her straight in the eye said I’d rather cut my own fingers off than do something that would harm my kittens.
She again looked at me like I was insane and waved me off dismissively before leaving.
Since then, I’ve felt conflicted. I just can’t stand the thought of this darling, outgoing, friendly little kitten being put under and waking up mutilated.
On the one hand, I don’t want to upset her, or make her feel like I’m getting in her business. On the other hand, she had no problem getting into my business... Instead of telling her what to do, as she did to me, I would provide facts to help her understand. I don’t think educating someone rude or intrusive, if done politely and in a nonjudgmental way? Thoughts?
If I were to try to talk to her, I know I’d have to do so carefully and eloquently. I’d have to explain how horrible declawing is while not making her feel attacked/blamed (Rogerian argument, for my fellow English nerds).
I wanted to ask, how would you handle this? What reasoning, facts, and proof would you present? Would you link her to the Paw Project? Write a persuasive essay? I’m trying to figure out how to communicate with her in a way to where she can understand how terrible this procedure is, and hopefully at least reconsiderer her decision. I know I may not be able to change her mind, but she has no idea about how harmful declawing can be, and I’d like her to at least be aware of that before she has her kitten declawed.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for standing up for feline rights! You're totally right; declawing is a mutilating procedure (did you tell her that it's actually the amputation of each digit at the first joint?), that causes numerous issues including:
- early onset arthritis, since cats are digitigrade, they walk in their toes, so if the tip of the toes are removed, their weight gets shifted back to their wrists
-increased biting
-litterbox avoidance caused by the pain that these cats go through just to walk, not to mention walk and dig through the litter

Tell her that cats can be easily trained to use scratching posts, and if you keep their nails trimmed (which you could do at home or have it done at a vet or groomer), it won't hurt when they scratch you. Soft paw claw caps are also an option.

Additionally, the number one reason cats are relinquished to shelters is inappropriate elimination. In cities where a declawing ban went into effect, including San Francisco and Beverly Hills, the relinquishment rate deceased.

I think The Paw Project is a fantastic resource! Something else you could direct her toward is this handbook, which was written by a veterinarian: http://www.littlebigcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ADH2017.pdf

I hope this helps!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is AWFUL. Did you make it clear that it was amputation and not “just” pulling out claws?? I don’t understand AT ALL how this is legal in the US!!!

I would have gotten so upset!!! And 12 years isn’t even old for a cat, what is she talking about?!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, oppose declawing. One of the most useful tools I have found to discourage cats from scratching furniture is double sided adhesive tape. And scratching posts or pads. If a car is scratching furniture, put the tape on the location the cat scratches. They immediately quit. Fore some reason, they usually just scratch one location on a couch or chair. I found that most cats consider a sisal rope pad or scratching post much more satisfying than furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I’ll relay this to her.
abyeb abyeb Unfortunately in person she interrupted me before I had a chance to explain what declawing is and what it does. I will make sure in my explanation that she understands that declawing is the amputation of P3, or the last bone. Perhaps I can send her this:
916F8947-6CC4-4DF9-B966-49F6251E6463.jpeg
Yanaka Yanaka I agree wholeheartedly. It saddens and angers me that the United States continues to practice a procede that has well documented detriments. I hope that someday it is made illegal, as it is in so many other countries.
A ArchyCat I’ll let her know about this, thank you! I too have found that my kittens enjoy sisal. It makes me smile when I see them having a nice stretch or happily scratching away on their posts.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for standing up for the kitten like that AmyTheKittyMommy AmyTheKittyMommy

It's difficult to talk about these kind of things face to face. Any kind of animal abuse really upsets me and I find myself yelling rather than stating my point clearly.

Maybe it would be better if you contacted your relative via e-mail. You could say what you want to calmly then, and include some links to articles or YouTube videos that explain exactly what declawing is.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a tough situation. It sounds like she is set in her ways. I know more and more vets are educating people about what is involved with declawing, that is probably the only person who has a chance of getting through to her. I know the clinic that I take my cats to is a cats only clinic and they do educate people about what is actually involved with the procedure including some gory realistic pictures. They will still declaw if someone insists but they make sure it is actually a fully informed consent.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
show her the gruesome declaw photos?

It really is quick and easy to trim cat nails. My cat loves it and begs for it after some training. The other cat tolerates it after some training.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I think an email is an excellent idea!
denice denice I could try asking my friend who works at a clinic to help, or link my relative to articles written by vets about how awful declawing is. Maybe she’d take it from a vet instead of me.
Antonio65 Antonio65 It was really hard for me to handle. I cannot believe they allow declawing in the United States. I don’t think she’s ever bothered to take the time to look up what declawing is. She’s trusted whatever vet told her it was “perfectly safe, not at all harmful”, and was trying to share this misinformation with me. I feel like the least I can do is try to inform her. If she chooses to cut ties after that, at least I’ve done my best to help her new kitten.
C carebare I will do that. I think seeing the aftermath, bloodied bone and all, might help her reconsider.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
100% support sending her the information. If there is any chance you can save that poor kitten please take it. She sounds abrasive enough that it can't make things any worse.

If you get into it ask her who her vet is too. I personally dont go to vet who support it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely make it clear that declawing is actually amputation and if she advocates the pain and suffering it causes she has no business having a pet and i would not have a thing to do with her, relative or not. I saw a cat last year that someone declawed, it was hunched over,would not walk, and every time it did, it meowed pitifully in pain., laying quickly on it's side. I spoke up then and told the owner if they mutilated a cat like that amputating all of her 'fingers', the least they could do is get some pain medication for her. They knew I was horrified and mad!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To the OP, ignore the relative. She does not own YOUR cat. If she wants to declaw her own cat, that's her decision and she has to live with the consequences (phantom pain, aggression, litter box issues, etc) . I feel bad for her cat :frown: If she keeps pushing you to declaw your cat and refuses to listen to why declawing is inhumane, just tell her that you do not believe in declawing cats and walk away.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, as I am a bit petty and don't cut corners when it comes to being blunt, I'd tell her that I've chosen not to abuse and mutilate my pets but if that's the kind of person she is then, by all means, carry on. :redtongue:

I adopted a front declawed cat many years ago and I admit I didn't see any of the complications that many people say happen to declawed cats, but she was 4 when I adopted her. I have no idea how she may have acted or behaved before then and, regardless of that, I know enough to know that declawing is inhumane.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once heard a senator say that the vet community was actually the biggest opposition to declawing being made illegal in the United States. There are many vets who refuse to declaw; however there are many who still view the procedure as part of their practice's bread and butter. Spays and neuters are seen the same way. I wouldn't take my cats to a veterinarian who declaws. No way.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She obviously feels she knows better, so i doubt theres any point in trying to discuss it. Im guessing she grew up being told that cats ruin all your furniture. Its difficult to change people who are set in their ways.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother in law's family declaws their cats. I tried to tell them, but they think it's a necessity that comes with owning a cat. They're making them an accessory around the house and have nothing catified to work with the cat's natural instincts.
Amalie is declawed. I found her as a stray. She had some back pain when she moved in that seems to have cleared up. She plays on the low cat trees in the house, and uses the scratching posts ALL THE TIME.
We gave a cat to my S.O.'s ex wife because she had all four paws declawed, and couldn't defend herself from the new feral cat. This cat had belonged to brother in law's family. Ugh. That cat lived with ex wife for years, and I know for a fact she loved the scratching posts, and that woman never got her one because what does she need it for? It's instinct. Let your cats be your cats. She also had a biting problem.
I manage a house with 4 cats, and everyone gets their nails cut about once every 2 months, even Amalie's back feet, and no one has ever destroyed anything around here other than a roll of paper towels that got left out.
Some cat owners don't understand how to fulfill and enrich a cat's lifestyle in your home. They bend the cat to fit a mold of what they want in their home. It's amputation. Who cares if you think the pain is managed. They hide pain. How would you feel? You really fear your possessions susceptible to damage that you immediately think SURGERY... it's NBD... I'll never have to tell a cat what's appropriate scratching and what's not! It's vanity. And if you want a declawed cat so bad then rescue one - THERE ARE TonS FROM OTHER JERKS BEfOre you. Don't be responsible for the mutilation of another creature.
I love my cat's claws. They are beautiful. I like that when we play, he knows not to stick them out all the way and murder me, but he still uses them to hold onto me like any big cat would do. They're amazing. Have respect for your animals.
Not you... that bossy relative.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I once heard a senator say that the vet community was actually the biggest opposition to declawing being made illegal in the United States. There are many vets who refuse to declaw; however there are many who still view the procedure as part of their practice's bread and butter. Spays and neuters are seen the same way. I wouldn't take my cats to a veterinarian who declaws. No way.
Some vets become vets because they care about animals and some vets became vets because it can be a lucrative career. Some Harley Street doctors will perform FGM surgery if the patient pays enough. (Although I imagine it must be the patient's family that pays, I can't imagine anyone willingly putting themselves through that.)

Sadly a lot of vets will continue to make money out of mutilating cats until the laws is changed to stop them.

:sigh:

You're lucky if you can find the former kind of vet, I would never take my cats to a vet who carries out unnecessary painful procedures on animals either. I know you love your cats lavishsqualor lavishsqualor :catlove:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets become vets because they care about animals and some vets became vets because it can be a lucrative career.
I can say that over here in Italy, vets become vets for the love of animals only.
I know dozens of them, I can assure you that none of them is richer than me, and I'm not rich at all.
I know that their annual incomes are in the medium-to-low range.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad you're standing up for this kitty, and yourself as well! I think that you should send her the info., but don't be surprised if it doesn't change her mind. It takes a long time to truly convince a person once confirmation bias sets in. Additionally, her own personal experience with her former cat, and the fact that SHE was repeatedly berating YOU to try and change your mind about declawing signifies a pretty uphill battle. I think you're right to avoid alerting her defenses, and to employ Rogerian rhetoric to minimize her digging in further. If at all possible, see if other relatives or mutual acquaintances would be willing to help convince her, especially if you can get them to surreptitiously bring up the argument. The more "reasonable" people she encounters that think the way you do, the more likely she is to actually listen to your argument. Aside from that, another party could more easily "innocently" bring up the horrors of declawing in a context unrelated to her, giving her the ability to consider what they say outside of her own defense. While I realize that this probably seems very manipulative, I'm not above being sneaky if the cause is just. :angelcat:

In the info that you send her, stay as factual as possible, and keep in mind that it may take her a while until she's ready to look through whatever links you send, if she does it at all. Start with something like "I know you care about your new cat, and I really feel this information will help you make the best decision for your cat's health." Then list your links or reasons. If you have someone in common who is down to help, maybe have them post one of the memes you found on social media (if she uses that,) or start a dialogue with her about the topic. Even just sharing tips on how to keep your furniture safe, or pointing out that clipped / adult cat claws aren't painful, can help wear down her flawed reasoning. I wish you the best of luck! :devilcat2: