Red Tears, Inflamed, Watery Eye - Please Help

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I've had my kitten for about a month now and she's constantly been sick and on medication. She's from a shelter so the vet predicts this was all picked up there. It's been a couple of weeks since she recovered from a upper respiratory tract infection and now she currently has been diagnosed with ringworm. She started the anti fungal medication about a week ago, but now I've noticed there is something wrong with her eye. Its constantly watery/teary, she is always squinting it and the rim of now red. Its only ONE eye, the other is fine. I took her to the vet and she suggested that its a virus and that it needs to pass on its own. I was prescribed an antibiotics eye ointment (for eye infection and to keep the eye lubricated to stop irritation). It doesnt seem to be doing much. Yesterday when I wiped her eye the tears were a tinge of pink/red. There is NO gunk or discharge, only tears with a tinge of colour. I gave the vet a call again and she said you have to wait days/weeks to the virus to run its course. She already did an eye stain test, washed it out, checked the surface and checked her eyesight. All clear. She's been mildly sneezing a few times a day and yesterday i noticed her coughing (but this has only happened once and i havent heard it since - i think there she may have been coughing up some paper). The eye problem seemed the happen at the same time I started giving her the antifungal, but the vet said this isnt a side effect of that. In the photo, its her closed eye that Im talking about, the other one just has a lesion from the ringworm.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? I really cant afford another vet visit and the vet doesn't think it's necessary yet. Its been a week and its gotten worse. Thanks!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It kinda sounds like it may be an allergic reaction to something. That actually can present in just one eye, or possible she is developing conjunctivitis. I'm a bit comforted that the vet apparently did a good and thorough eye exam, this lessens the possibility of it being conjunctivitis. I know it is worrying, in the extreme. You are fighting so hard for this kitten. Keep the eye clean, give it a bit more time, and if it does NOT clear up, call the vet back and insist that it be seen and treated. I wish I could have told you something more definite, but I'm at a loss other than that.

Quite often once one person posts a reply, others soon follow! I have my fingers crossed :crossfingers: that someone with more experience will be here soon. Meanwhile, you are not alone anymore!

OH, btw, your kitten is a cutie! Hope she is healthy, fat and sassy soon (not too fat, though!)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It kinda sounds like it may be an allergic reaction to something. That actually can present in just one eye, or possible she is developing conjunctivitis. I'm a bit comforted that the vet apparently did a good and thorough eye exam, this lessens the possibility of it being conjunctivitis. I know it is worrying, in the extreme. You are fighting so hard for this kitten. Keep the eye clean, give it a bit more time, and if it does NOT clear up, call the vet back and insist that it be seen and treated. I wish I could have told you something more definite, but I'm at a loss other than that.

Quite often once one person posts a reply, others soon follow! I have my fingers crossed :crossfingers: that someone with more experience will be here soon. Meanwhile, you are not alone anymore!

OH, btw, your kitten is a cutie! Hope she is healthy, fat and sassy soon (not too fat, though!)!
Thank you :) I really dont know what else the vet can do at this stage - the ointment is to treat conjunctivitis too! Im thinking its either a virus or maybe another UTI as she coughed last night. More antibiotics will be needed I assume - again! Too many vet trips, too much money. Only had her for about a month and already been to the vet 5 times and counting. Hopefully more people reply as I find I dont get too many replies anymore :'( Fingers crossed it passes soon

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about adding some lysine to help increase her immune system? You could confirm with your vet that it's ok to give. My cat gets drippy eyes at times from allergies. I give 250 mg twice a day when there's an issue and 250 daily when all is great. I use Now lysine (pure lysine powder) 1 lb and really reasonable. My cat is allergic to chicken but before that I used spry lysine treats I bought off Amazon. I've used the expensive treats and they worked just as good.

What a sweetie! Hope kitty gets better soon!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fostered a bunch of kittens this past summer. One of them had something very similar to yours.
Your vet said the same thing that mine said, wait, wait. It has to pass on its own.
I gave the kitten antibiotics, artificial tears and eye drops at least three times a day for not less than two weeks, probably more. Sometimes her eye was going better, sometimes it was worse than the day before.
Meanwhile the poor kitten had also soft poop and was taking supplements and probiotics for this issue.
I second the advice given from valentine319 valentine319 , give your kitten some L-lysine powder mixed with her wet food.
I know that there are different opinions and guidlines about its use. On the bottle of the one I have it's written to use for a period not shorter than 30 days.

All the kittens have been rehomed and I've been told by her new family that the kitten with the sore eye is fine both with her eyes and his... poop :p

All the best :)