Recovering A Corrupt File

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I allowed to ask you for help in a computer thing?
A file that I had on a USB pendrive is corrupt and Word 2007 can't open it. I tried to recover it through the same Word, without success.

I also tried some software that I have installed on my PC, but it seems it wasn't the right one.
There are online services that can recover a file for you, charging USD 10 for a single page.

Is there someone very expert that could lead me through the recovery process? Thanks so much!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Did you try to rename the file, or exporting it from Word under a different file extension?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Open and Repair feature in Word? That's worked for me in the past.

Start Word and select Open
In the Open dialog box, select the file that is corrupt.
Click on the down arrow that is to the right of the the Open button and select Open and Repair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Open and Repair feature in Word? That's worked for me in the past.

Start Word and select Open
In the Open dialog box, select the file that is corrupt.
Click on the down arrow that is to the right of the the Open button and select Open and Repair
Yes, I tried... Open and Repair hasn't worked... :(

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is kind of off the wall, but you may want to get Apache Open Office (a free, open-sourced editor that's able to handle Word files, among others) and see whether it can open the file.

Another option is to check for an earlier version of it; if you can find one it might not take too much trouble to bring it up to date.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was adviced by someone else to try with Recuva, and I did it, but it wasn't able to recover the file, it says it is unrecoverable because it's been overwritten... :(