2 tsp. salt
2 pkg. active dry yeast
4 cups flour
1/2 cup. butter or margarine
2 tsp. sliced almonds
1 cup milk
2 eggs, reserve 1 egg white
2 lb. shredded Muenster

In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 cup flour. Heat butter and milk until very warm (120 to 130 degrees). With mixer on low speed, gradually add the liquid into dry ingredients until just mixed. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl. Beat in 1 cup flour or enough to make a thick batter. Continue beating 2 minutes, scraping bowl. With wooden spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough (about 2 cups).

Turn dough on to lightly floured surface and knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour, if necessary. Shape into ball, cover, and let rise 15 minutes.

In large bowl, combine eggs (reserve 1 egg white) with shredded Muenster cheese and set aside.

On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 24 x 6-inch rectangle. Shape cheese mixture into a cylinder lengthwise along the center of the dough. Fold dough over filling, making a 1 to1-1/2-inch overlap. Pinch seam very well to seal dough. Place roll seam-side down in a 9-inch greased round cake pan. Overlap ends slightly; pinch ends together to seal. Cover with towel, let rise about 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush loaf with slightly beaten reserved egg white. Garnish with almonds. Bake 55-60 minutes or until top is golden brown. Bread should sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove bread from pan; let stand 15 minutes for easier cutting. Cut in wedges to serve.

NOTE: This is a seriously good bread! I like to wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill to reheat for a picnic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From Betty Crocker......

Pumpkin Crescent Rolls

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to115 degrees)
1 cup canned pumpkin (I've used my own thawed pumpkin and it's been fine)
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. salt
5-6 cups flour
Butter or margarine, softened

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin, shortening, sugar, egg, salt, and 3 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about one hour.

Punch down dough and divide into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 12-inch circle on floured surface. Spread with margarine and cut into 12 wedges. Roll each wedge up tightly, beginning at round edge. Place rolls with points underneath on greased cookie sheets and curve slightly. Let rise until double, 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. About 3 dozen rolls.

Butternut squash would work well with this recipe, too....I think the original recipe may have called for squash.
google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart (I just love this book.....it took awhile, but I worked my way through the entire book, making all the breads.)

Do not make this in your KA mixer as it's too large for most mixers, unless you have the really large 6-quart KA and, even then, I don't know that I'd try it. I make this dough by hand. From the time you start the seed culture til you actually bake the bread, it's about seven days or so.

First, you make the Seed Culture - 4 days
Then, you make the Barm - 1 day to make and an overnight fermentation
Then you make the Sponge - About 8 hours to overnight
Then you make the Bread

Don't panic! I know the instructions are long. But oh my, this bread is so worth it. Most of your time is really spent making the seed culture, which takes minutes a day, then the barm, which also only takes a few minutes. The sponge doesn't take long either. So the bread is really the longest work.

Read the entire recipe.......

Roasted Onion and Asiago Miche

Sponge
1/4 cup (2 oz.) barm
1 cup (8 oz.) room temperature water
2-1/2 cups (11.25 oz.) unbleached bread flour
Roasted Onion
1 large or 2 small (8 oz.) onions
1 Tbsp. (.5 oz.) olive oil
Pinch coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Dough
7 cups (32 oz.) unbleached bread flour
2-1/4 tsp. (.25 oz.) instant yeast
2-1/4 cups (18 oz.) lukewarm water (90-100 degrees)
4 tsp. (1 oz.) salt
3 Tbsp.(1.5 oz.) olive oil
3 cups (16 oz.) shredded or grated Asiago
1/2 cup (2 oz.) coarsely chopped chives
1/2 cup (2 oz.) coarsely chopped scallions
Semolina flour or cornmeal for dusting

One day before making the dough and two days before baking the bread, make the sponge. Mix together the barm, water and flour in a bowl until the flour is completely hydrated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature for 8 hours, or until the sponge is very bubbly. If it is a cool day and the sponge is fermenting slowly, you can leave it out overnight. Otherwise, put it in the refrigerator when it foams and is bubbly.

Remove the sponge from the refrigerator about one hour before making the dough to take off the chill.

To roast the onion, preheat the oven to 500 degrees and line a sheet pan with baking parchment. Coarsely chop the onion and toss the pieces in a bowl with the olive oil. Spread the onions on the sheet pan. Sprinkle the pepper and salt over the inions. Bake, stirring every 3-5 minutes, or until the pieces turn golden brown or even to char slightly. This will take 15-20 minutes (or saute them in a hot skillet; it will take about the same amount of time). Remove the onion from the pan and set aside to cool, then refrigerate until needed.

To make the dough, stir together the flour and yeast in a large mixing bowl with a large metal spoon. Add the water and the sponge and stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed and the dough forms a ball. Let sit for 5 minutes, then add the salt and olive oil and stir to distribute. Add half of the grated cheese and all of the chives and scallions.

Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough to the counter. Knead the dough for about 4 minutes, or until all the ingredients are evenly distributed, adding additional flour as needed to make a soft, tacky, but not sticky dough. The dough should pass the windowpane test (see my notes below), register about 74 degrees, and be very supple. Light oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

Ferment at room temperature for 2-3 hours, or until the dough nearly doubles in size.

Line 2 sheet pans with baking parchment, mist with spray oil, and dust with semolina flour or cornmeal. Dust the counter with flour and transfer the dough from the bowl to the counter, taking care not degas the dough. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and gently shape into large boules (see my note below). Place a round of dough on each pan. Mist the dough with spray oil and slip each pan into a large food-grade plastic bag or cover loosely with plastic wrap.

Place the pans in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove each pan from the refrigerator 2 hours before you plan to bake (you can hold them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, baking each pan on a different day, if you wish). Proof the dough for approximately 2 hours at room temperature.

Prepare the oven for hearth baking, making sure to have an empty steam pan in place. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil and, using your fingertips, make dimples all over the dough, pressing almost to the bottom of the loaf and creating a series of ridges and pockets all over the surface. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top of each loaf. Divide the roasted onion pieces into 2 portions and even distribute them over the top of the cheese. Allow the dough to rest for 15-30 minutes.

Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal and very gently transfer the loaves, with or without the parchment, to the peel or pan. Slide the loaves onto the baking stone (or bake the loaves directly on the pan). Pour one cup hot water into the steam pan and close the door. After 30 seconds, open the door, spray the walls of the oven with water, and close the door. Repeat twice more at 30-second intervals. After the final spray, lower the oven setting to 450 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Rotate the bread 180 degrees, if necessary, for even baking and continue baking for 15-20 minutes. The bread should be golden brown and the cheese melted and brown. The internal temperature of the bread should exceed 195 degrees, and the loaf should make a hollow sound when thumped on the bottom.

If the cheese seems too brown, but you still need more baking time, cover the top with aluminum foil or a piece of baking parchment to protect the top and gain a few more baking minutes. You may also turn off the oven and let the residual heat continue baking the bread for an additional ten miutes (covering the tops to protect the cheese from burning).

Transfer the finished bread to a rack and cool for at least one hour before slicing or serving. Makes two loaves.

Notes about the WIndowpane Test: This is similar to blowing bubbles with a piece of bubble gum. Cut off a small piece of dough. Gently stretch and pull the dough to see if it will hole a paper-thin, translucent membrane (like a piece of bubble gum when you're trying to blow a bubble). If the dough falls apart before you see the windowpane, continue mixing for another minute or so and test again. Keep working until you see the windowpane.

To prepare your oven for baking hearth breads: Before you preheat your oven, place your baking stone on the oven rack. Place an old heavy empty oblong cake pan or cast iron pan on the floor of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. (This will take awhile because not only does the oven have to heat, but the baking stone has to heat, too.) While the oven is preheating, simmer a pan of hot water on the stove, the hotter the better. This is the water that you will add to your pan when you put your dough on the baking stone to bake. Fill a mist bottle with the hot water, too, to spray onto the oven walls once the bread dough is on the stone. (DON'T SPRAY YOUR OVEN WINDOW OR THE LIGHT BULB!)

The Seed Culture for the Barm

Day 1
1 cup (4.25 oz.) dark rye or coarse whole rye flour
3/4 cup (6 oz.) room temperature water
Day 2
1 cup (4.5 oz.) unbleached high-gluten or bread flour
1/2 cup (4 oz.) room temperature water
Day 3
Day 4

Day 1: Mix flour and water together in a bowl until they form a stiff ball of dough. Don't worry if the dough is stiff, but ensure that all the flour is hydrated. Press this piece of dough into a 4-cup measuring beaker and place a piece of tape on the beaker to mark the top of the dough. Cover the beaker with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

Day 2: The dough should not have risen much, if at all. In a mixing bowl, combine the Day 2 ingredients with the sponge, mixing with your hand or a spoon until all ingredients are evenly distributed. This dough will be a little softer and wetter. Return to the beaker, pressing it down and replace the old tape with a new tape to mark the spot. Cover with plastic and ferment for 24 hours at room temperature. The dough may develop a strong unpleasant odor. Don't worry.

Day 3: Check to see if the dough has risen. There may be some fermentation, but not a lot, maybe a rise of 50%. Regardless, discard half the starter (or give it to a friend) and mix the remaining half with Day 3 ingredients. It will be a little wetter. Return it to the beaker, press down to the same height as Day 2. Re-tape the beaker to note the top of the dough. Cover and ferment for 24 hours.

Day 4: The sponge should have at least doubled, more is better. If it's not done much, allow to sit for anoth 12-24 hours. Otherwise, repeat as on Day 3, discarding half the starter and mixing the remaining half with the Day 4 ingredients. Return to the beaker, cover and ferment until it at least doubles in size. This can take up to 24 hours. It may triple in size, but it won't sustain that much of a rise and should fall. If it does fall when you tap the beaker, it's ready to be used in the Barm.

The Barm for the Sponge
3-1/2 cups (16 oz.) unbleached high-gluten or bread flour
2 cups (16 oz.) room temperature water
1 cup (7 oz.) seed culture

Stir together the flour, water and seed culture in a mixing bowl. Make sure the seed culture is evenly distributed and all flour is hydrated. It will make a wet, sticky sponge similar to a poolish. Transfer this sponge to a clean plastic, glass, or ceramic storage container twice as large as the barm. Repeatedly dip your hands, spatula, or bowl scraper in water to keep the barm from sticking. Cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature for 6 hours, or until it is bubbly. The plastic wrap will swell like a balloon, as will a plastic lid. When this happens, open the wrap to let the gas escape (don't breathe the gas). Replace the wrap and refrigerate overnight before using. The barm will be ready to use the next day and will remain potent for 3 days.

(You can also refresh your barm and keep it for future breads, but I'm not going there. I've typed enough for awhile. You can also freeze the barm, if you wish. If you're really interested in trying hearth breads, I really do recommend this book.)
google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

mepsenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Code:
English Muffin Bread
Code:
This is for a 1-1/2 lb. loaf in the bread machine.
Code:
Code:
 1-1/4 c. water 2 tsp. sugar 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. baking soda 3 c. flour 3 Tbl. nonfat dry milk 2 tsp. yeast

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honey Flax Rye Bread

Up to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (you can use light, I just like dark better)

2 pkg active dry yeast 

2-3 tbsp flax seeds (if using caraway seeds instead, reduce to 1 tbsp)

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 cups warm water

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 cups rye flour

a large glob of raw honey (this is maybe 2-3 tbsp or more? I never measure it, lol)

egg wash (1 egg white with ~1 tbsp water)

rye flakes

flax seeds

1. In large bowl combine 2 cups of all purpose flour, brown sugar, yeast, flax seeds and salt. Slowly add warm water, honey and oil. 

2. Add rye flour and stir. Slowly add the all purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough doesn't stick to your hands too much. Turn onto floured surface and knead in more all purpose flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until you have a smooth and elastic dough. Let rest 10 minutes. 

3. Divide dough in half and shape into a ball. Flatten slightly (think country bread shape). Put on large baking sheet (greased if need be), cover and let rise 1 hour. 

4. With sharp knife, cut # on the top of the dough ball. Brush with egg wash and top with rye flakes and flax seeds, if desired. 

5. Bake at 400 degrees (F) for ~30 minutes, checking often. If tops are beginning to brown too much, tent with tin foil. 

6. Place on wire rack to cool. 

The cooking time REALLY varies. I make it all the time, sometimes it takes around 25 minutes, others 35. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So, I found this recipe for apple bread in Penzeys Spices magazine (the store just opened by me, and I LOVE it!). I've never made bread from scratch before (usually the boxed ones), but this one looked so good, I had to try it! Today would be a good day as my parents are coming to visit and it would be a nice treat for them.

It was easy to make, and I hope it's as good as it smells!

In the process, I burnt my fingers in the oven. First time in my life I've ever burnt my hand in the oven!

What's your favorite baking recipes? Whether it's cake, cookies, bread.. anything! Post your recipes if you wish!

Here's the Apple Bread Recipe:

Bread:

• [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]4 Cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped,[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]4-5 large apples (we used McIntosh)[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]4 large eggs, beaten[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]1 Cup vegetable oil (we like canola)[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp. baking soda[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp. salt[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp. PENZEYS CINNAMON [/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]3 Cups all-purpose flour (we used unbleached)[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 Cups granulated white sugar[/font]

Topping:

• [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]3/4 Cup all-purpose flour[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]1/4 Cup granulated white sugar[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp. PENZEYS CINNAMON[/font]
  • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]1/2 Cup butter (1 stick), room temperature[/font]
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease two standard bread loaf pans and set aside. Peel, core and slice the apples. Cut into good-sized chunks, about 1 inch in size. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the oil and beat until combined. Add the VANILLA EXTRACT, baking soda, salt and PENZEYS CINNAMON. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Next, add the flour and sugar and mix on low just to blend. Turn the mixer to high and beat until mixture is smooth. The batter will be very thick, almost like cookie dough. Fold in the chopped apples, mixing by hand with a spoon so the apples do not get broken up. Divide the mixture between the two pans. Since the batter is so thick, it is easiest to spoon the batter into the pans.

To prepare the topping, combine flour, sugar and PENZEYS CINNAMON in a small bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with a fork until all ingredients are moist and crumbly. If you don't mind a little mess, it is faster to use your hands. Sprinkle equal amounts of topping on each loaf. Bake for about 1 hour on the center rack of the oven. The loaf should feel fairly firm when touched in the middle; if not, bake an extra 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans. It is easier to slice the bread if you can wait until it is at least mostly cool. 

Prep. time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 60-65 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves, 24 slices

Nutritional Information:
Servings 2; Serving Size 1 slice (80g); Calories 270; Calories from fat 120; Total fat 14g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 330mg; Carbohydrate 36g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 20g; Protein 3g.

mattjnz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bread:  'No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread'

I have not tried this yet but I'm going to the store to get the stuff for it Monday and will bake it and let you all know how it is probably Wednesday or Thursday (by editing this post). It looks delicious! I'm so excited. 
Cook Time: 45 hours
Yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups luke-warm water
1-2 tsp sea salt
1/2-1 tsp yeast*

Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Add the water and using a wooden spoon stir together until the mixture resembles a shaggy dough.
  2. Cover dough with a plastic wrap and let sit in room temperature for 8-18 hours. Dough will bubble up and rise.
  3. After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 F.
  4. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and with floured hands form the dough into a ball. Cover with the plastic wrap and let the dough rest.
  5. While dough is resting, put your dutch oven into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  6. After the 30 minutes are up carefully remove the dutch oven and with floured hands place the bread dough into it. (You can put a piece of parchment under it if your dutch oven doesn't have an enamel coating.)
  7. Replace the cover and bake for 30 minutes covered. Then remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Bread will be golden, crusty and delicious!
Notes
*I used a full teaspoon of yeast because I like the flavor in bread. 1/2 teaspoon will work as well if you do not!
*I like salt a lot- I have added up to 3 teaspoons to this recipe and it's been great!

As a side note for everyone, I'm going to use a ceramic casserole dish and a glass lid rather than a dutch oven or steam bath -- I contacted the owner of the recipe and she said that should be fine :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is the bread recipe that I use for my cheese batter bread; simply add 1/2 to 1 cup of cheese; it is delicious with grated extra sharp Cheddar. Omit the rosemary and thyme and use basil and oregano instead. Or you can simply sprinkle a bit of basil and oregano on top of the loaf, after brushing the butter on right before baking instead of after. You might need a bit more water to make up for the added cheese. Sometimes it need it, but sometimes it comes together OK without it. Great with chili or soup.

Fresh Herb Batter Bread

3 cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. snipped parsley
2 Tbsp. shortening
1-1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme

Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low speed of electric mixer for one minutes, scraping bowl. Beat on medium speed one minute, scraping bowl. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise 35 minutes until double. Grease loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3-inches). Stir down batter by beating 25 strokes. Smooth and pat into prepared pan with floured hands. Cover and let rise 30 minutes until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Brush top with butter. Remove loaf from pan. Cool on rack.
NOTE:  Slice this bread thin to make delicious toast.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From the King Arthur website. Yum. They are quite good, especially with strawberry preserves.

IRISH SODA BREAD MUFFINS

1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

3/4 cup 100% white whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1-1/2 cups currants (first choice) or raisins

1/2 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, to taste

1 large egg

1 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream

6 tablespoons butter, melted; or 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Sparkling white sugar, for topping (Is optional, but you can buy this at the King Arthur website)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan; or line with papers, and grease the papers.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk (or equivalent) and melted butter (or equivalent).

Quickly and gently combine the dry and wet ingredients; honestly, this won't take more than a few stirs with a bowl scraper or large spoon. As soon as everything is evenly moistened, quit; further stirring will cause the muffins to be tough.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full; the stiff batter will look mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.

Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don't get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Serve them plain, or with butter and/or jam.

Note: I got 16 muffins, but one of my cupcake pans is a little on the small side. I used buttermilk (I freeze buttermilk in 1-cup containers so that I have it when I need it). And I used raisins.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2017-11-13_18-27-11.png

This makes quite dense dough that is easy to shape, does not stick to hands and it is quite tasty despite fast to make, machine does all the work.

Grams
Flour 1000g
water 600g
yeast 8g
salt 17.5g
sugar 20g
Olive oil 30g

Percentages
Flour 100%
Water 60%
Instant yeast 0.8%
Salt 1.75%
Sugar 2%
Olive oil 3%

I'm using two different kinds of flour, 600g of semi-rough (sweet wheat bakings with sugar and butter are made with this type of flour) and 400g of dark wheat flour (this one has brown specks in it and has stronger taste), I really don't know what might be US equivalents, maybe all purpose flour and bread flour?

Put water, yeast and sugar into mixer bowl, you can mix a little at this point.
Then add all the flour, all the olive oil and all the salt into mixer bowl, start mixer and let it run until you have dough ball around kneading hook. Add bit of water if dough is not sticking to bottom of mixer bowl when machine is running, add bit of flour if it is sticking a lot more than 2 inch diameter circle.

It should not take very long to have dough smooth and nice, then stop mixer, remove hook and oil the dough and mixer bowl, idea is to prevent sticking when rising and prevent dough from drying up.

Let it rise until double in size, time varies a lot depending from water temp, room temp etc.

Next punch dough down, shape it to buns, loaves whatever you want and place on baking sheet on oven pan. Sprinkle/rub flour on top and put baking sheet or something of your choice on top of buns/loaves to prevent drying, let it rise until double in size, again time will vary.

Warm oven to 225C / 437F so that oven reaches temperature 10-15 minutes before you are about to put your breads to oven, bake until golden brown / charcoal or what is your preference at lowest position, at least my oven is so poorly made that everything must be baked at bottom of oven to get good bake.

After taking bread out from oven, cover it with something like baking sheet, otherwise it will have hard crust which is annoying, but some prefer to have that, those who prefer to have hard crust can let them cool uncovered.

Only dishing needed to be done is mixer bowl and hook, which saves lot of time, use cold water to clean bowl, let water sit for hour or two in bowl and then wash, it is easier that way, for dough hook I let it dry and just rub dough off from it in 1 second.
No flour mess, no dry hands, no kneading by hand, when you just want bread you can do this while doing other chores in a house because it ties your hands only for so little time.

Use more water if you wish to have bigger holes in your buns, with 60% of water this makes quite dense bread that is great when you need more carbs and energy, but if burning less energy something like 80% of water will make dough very sticky and soft, while bread will be lot lighter and with bigger holes in it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh one note to previous, 80% will make dough so soft that you need to use pan of some sort, pour dough in and let it rise in pan, then put whole catastrophe to oven.

65% is usually highest normal breads will go, it already starts to rise sideways more than up at that percentage, but oven spring helps it go up too. 1% has notable difference already.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

[/URL]

** The following is copy and pasted from the article in the above link. See link for the story about the bread.

Recipes From 'Poilâne: The Secrets of the World-Famous Bread Bakery'

Rye Loaf with Currants
Rye loaf with currants (Photo by Philippe Vaurés Santamaria)

My father regularly ran home from the bakery before we went to school to drop off a small version of this loaf for our morning snack. He would cut it in half, add a generous pat of butter, and pack it for us to enjoy in his car. Today I still love to have a few slices—buttered or not—for breakfast or as a midmorning treat. We make this in metal loaf pans, but you can also shape it freeform.

Makes one 9-by-5-inch (23-by-13-cM) loaf.
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups (240 g) dried currants
  • 2½ cups (595 ml) hot water
  • 230 g (1¼ cups) starter from Poilâne-Style Sourdough
  • 435 g (3 cups plus 2 tablespoons) rye flour
  • ¾ teaspoon (2 g) active dry yeast
  • 1½ teaspoons (9 g) fine sea salt
  • Neutral oil, such as canola or sunflower seed, for the pan
Instructions
  • Put the currants in a medium bowl, add the hot water, and let soak for 10 minutes. Set a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and drain the currants; reserve the soaking liquid.
  • Pat the currants dry with a paper towel and reserve. Put the starter in a large bowl. Add the rye flour and yeast. In a small bowl, combine 1½ cups (355 ml) of the reserved soaking liquid (save the rest for brushing the loaf) and the salt, stir to dissolve the salt, and add to the flour mixture, along with the currants. With wet hands, mix and knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together in a smooth, homogeneous mass. Transfer the dough to a work surface and shape into a ball. Return it to the bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
  • Reshape the dough into a round, return to the bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise for 1½ hours.
  • Brush a 9-by-5-inch (23-by-13-cm)pan with oil. Turn the dough out and, using wet hands to prevent sticking, shape it into a 9-by-4-inch (23-by-10-cm) log. Transfer to the oiled pan. Brush a piece of plastic wrap with oil, drape it over the loaf, and let it rise in a warm (72°F to 77°F/22°C to 25°C), draft-free place until it rises about ½ inch (1.25 cm) above the sides of the pan, 1½ to 2 hours.
  • Meanwhile, about 25 minutes before baking, position a rack in the lower third and preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
  • Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the loaf with the reserved currant-soaking liquid. Bake until the loaf is golden and firm, 45 to 50 minutes; if you carefully remove it from the pan, it should feel hollow when you knock on it. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour.
  • Remove the loaf from the pan, return to the rack, and let cool completely before slicing. Stored in a paper bag or wrapped in linen at room temperature, the loaf will keep for up to 1 week.
NOTE: As with our sourdough, you will either need to have the starter on hand or plan ahead to make it, which takes a couple of days.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

[/URL]

Recipes From 'Poilâne: The Secrets of the World-Famous Bread Bakery'

Rye Loaf with Currants

My father regularly ran home from the bakery before we went to school to drop off a small version of this loaf for our morning snack. He would cut it in half, add a generous pat of butter, and pack it for us to enjoy in his car. Today I still love to have a few slices—buttered or not—for breakfast or as a midmorning treat. We make this in metal loaf pans, but you can also shape it freeform.

Makes one 9-by-5-inch (23-by-13-cM) loaf.
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups (240 g) dried currants
  • 2½ cups (595 ml) hot water
  • 230 g (1¼ cups) starter from Poilâne-Style Sourdough
  • 435 g (3 cups plus 2 tablespoons) rye flour
  • ¾ teaspoon (2 g) active dry yeast
  • 1½ teaspoons (9 g) fine sea salt
  • Neutral oil, such as canola or sunflower seed, for the pan
Instructions
  • Put the currants in a medium bowl, add the hot water, and let soak for 10 minutes. Set a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and drain the currants; reserve the soaking liquid.
  • Pat the currants dry with a paper towel and reserve. Put the starter in a large bowl. Add the rye flour and yeast. In a small bowl, combine 1½ cups (355 ml) of the reserved soaking liquid (save the rest for brushing the loaf) and the salt, stir to dissolve the salt, and add to the flour mixture, along with the currants. With wet hands, mix and knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together in a smooth, homogeneous mass. Transfer the dough to a work surface and shape into a ball. Return it to the bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
  • Reshape the dough into a round, return to the bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise for 1½ hours.
  • Brush a 9-by-5-inch (23-by-13-cm)pan with oil. Turn the dough out and, using wet hands to prevent sticking, shape it into a 9-by-4-inch (23-by-10-cm) log. Transfer to the oiled pan. Brush a piece of plastic wrap with oil, drape it over the loaf, and let it rise in a warm (72°F to 77°F/22°C to 25°C), draft-free place until it rises about ½ inch (1.25 cm) above the sides of the pan, 1½ to 2 hours.
  • Meanwhile, about 25 minutes before baking, position a rack in the lower third and preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
  • Use a pastry brush to brush the top of the loaf with the reserved currant-soaking liquid. Bake until the loaf is golden and firm, 45 to 50 minutes; if you carefully remove it from the pan, it should feel hollow when you knock on it. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour.
  • Remove the loaf from the pan, return to the rack, and let cool completely before slicing. Stored in a paper bag or wrapped in linen at room temperature, the loaf will keep for up to 1 week.
NOTE: As with our sourdough, you will either need to have the starter on hand or plan ahead to make it, which takes a couple of days.
The bread looks delicious. You certainly had a sweet father.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is not my recipe; it's from an Ina Garten board that I'm a member of and it makes wonderful hamburger rolls.

BEAUTIFUL BURGER/SANDWICH BUNS

1 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg
3-1/4 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon instant yeast

Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select ‘Dough’ cycle. Allow cycle to run.

Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a roll and then press down for a bun shape. Place on greased cookie sheets (or bun pans), cover; let rise 30 to 40 minutes.

Bake in preheated 375-degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Cool on wire racks.

(You may add a teaspoon of onion powder and about ½ teaspoon dried onion to make the dough. It makes a light onion-y flavor that is wonderful!) For burgers, split and grill if desired.

To make by hand: Simply mix and knead the dough by whatever method you prefer. Let it rise for about an hour before shaping into eight big buns. (Or whatever shapes you prefer; hot dog buns, dinner rolls, etc.)

NOTE: Right before I throw the hamburger buns into the oven, I brush them with 1 egg mixed with water, then sprinkle toasted sesame seeds or any artisan topping I have in the pantry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From Recipes: 5 home-baked treats designed to travel - The Boston Globe

BANANA-CHOCOLATE CHIP TOFFEE BREAD

Makes 2 large (5¼-by-9-inch) or 8 small (4¾-by-2¾-inch) loaves

Think of this recipe as a blank banana canvas to spotlight the flavors of your choice. You can swap the chocolate chips for any combination of add-ins, such as other chips (white or dark chocolate, cinnamon, butterscotch) or nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.) to make it your own.

2½ cups all-purpose flour

1¾ teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)

½ cup canola oil

1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed

4 large eggs, beaten

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup toffee chips

¼ cup coarse sanding sugar, for topping

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat loaf pans with nonstick spray. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, and reserve.

In a mixing bowl, combine the bananas, oil, and sugar, and mix well. Add the eggs and combine again, mixing until homogenous. Add the dry ingredients and, using an electric or stand mixer, mix on low to medium speed until just combined.

Fold in the chocolate and toffee chips. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Transfer the batter into the prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Sprinkle with the sanding sugar.

Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time to brown evenly (2 loaves will take about 50 to 60 minutes; 8 mini-loaves about 35-40 minutes). The banana bread is done when the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let stand 10 minutes before removing from the pans to fully cool. Stored in plastic wrap, the loaves will keep for up to 7 days.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pull-Apart Cranberry Sugar-Pecan “Bundt” Bread with Cranberry Glaze

Yield: 16 servings

For the bread
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 3 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/4 cup potato starch, optional
  • 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature, plus more if needed
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Instructions
Generously grease a 10- or 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or softened butter and thoroughly dust with granulated sugar.

Make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the all-purpose and bread flours, yeast, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and potato starch until incorporated. Add the buttermilk, egg, and 3 tablespoons softened butter and mix on medium-low speed until a shaggy dough forms and all of the dry bits at the bottom of the bowl are incorporated.

Replace the paddle with the dough hook attachment. On medium-low speed, knead the dough until a smooth mass forms that comes off the sides of the bowl and still sticks to the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes. If the dough is very sticky, add a little extra flour. Alternatively, if it’s too dry, add a bit of buttermilk, until it sticks just a bit.

Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and grease the bowl with cooking spray or softened butter. Place the dough back into it and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, setting it aside in a warm place until it has practically doubled in size, 1 to 1½ hours.

Lightly flour the counter before turning the dough out onto it. Using your hands, shape the dough into a rectangle, with the longest side closest to you. With a rolling pin, form a rectangle roughly 20 by 15 inches.

Generously brush the dough with the melted butter (you will have some left over). Evenly sprinkle the cranberries and pecans over the dough, pressing them in with your fingers. Sprinkle with the 3/4 cup sugar and then use the rolling pin to gently adhere all of the toppings into the dough.

Using a bench scraper or sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 6 equal horizontal strips. Stack the 6 strips on top of each other and cut the layered strips into 6 equal small rectangular stacks. The toppings will fall off—just press them back in with your fingers. Lightly press down on each stack and place each one upright in the prepared pan, as you would dominoes. Don’t worry if one stack faces in and another out; just make sure vertical stacks are evenly placed around the bottom of the pan. The cranberries and pecans will continue to fall off as you do this, but just stick them back into the dough or sprinkle them on top of the bread.

Loosely cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until the bread rises to about 1 1/2 times its original size, 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375°. When the dough has fully risen, bake the bread on the center rack until nicely browned, about 40 minutes. The bread is done when its internal temperature is 190°F. If you do not have a thermometer, stick a paring knife in between the layers to confirm that the dough is cooked through.

Remove the bread from the oven and immediately invert the cake right-side up onto a serving plate. (This is an unusual instance when the top of the Bundt does not become the bottom.) Brush the top with the extra melted butter, remelting it if necessary. Let cool to room temperature before glazing.

For the glaze
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • A pinch of fine sea salt
Instructions
Combine the cranberries and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until the berries burst and turn jammy, smashing them with a wooden spoon to speed up the process. Using a fine wire mesh sieve, strain the cranberries into a small bowl, pressing the solids into the sieve to extract every last drop of juice. Cool to room temperature. Once cool, add the confectioners’ sugar and salt and whisk to combine. If the glaze is too thick, add a bit of buttermilk, or if it is too thin, add a bit more sugar. Drizzle the glaze over the slightly cooled bread. Let the glaze set before serving.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pull-apart lemon loaf

Makes 1 medium loaf

DOUGH

½cup whole milk
3tablespoons honey
3 eggs, at room temperature
3cups flour
2teaspoons instant or regular yeast in a bowl with 2 tablespoons warm water
teaspoons salt
½cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1-inch chunks
Extra flour (for sprinkling)
1teaspoon olive oil (for the bowl)

1. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk and honey for 20 seconds to take the chill off. Add the eggs and beat with a fork until thoroughly combined.

2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed, mix the flour, yeast, and salt until combined. Add the egg mixture and mix on low speed until blended.

3. One at a time, blend in the butter chunks, mixing after each addition until the dough absorbs the butter.

4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and form the mixture into a loose ball. It will be sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place for 20 minutes. Remove the plastic and slip your fingers underneath the dough on the edge of the bowl farthest away from you. Gently stretch the dough up and toward you and fold it over to the edge closest to you. Rotate the bowl a few inches and repeat 5 to 6 times, rotating the bowl after each stretch and folding the dough all around the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and rest 20 minutes more. Repeat the folding process.

5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured counter and shape it into a ball. Wash and dry the bowl. Pour the oil into the bowl and add the dough. Swirl it around to coat it on all sides with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 72 hours.

FILLING

Butter (for the pan)
¾cup granulated sugar
Grated rind of 2 lemons
Pinch of salt
2tablespoons butter, melted

1. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and let the dough sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

2. Butter an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom and 2 long sides with parchment paper cut to fit it, leaving a 1-inch overhang.

3. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, lemon rind, and a pinch of salt. Use your fingertips to rub the lemon rind into the sugar.

4. On a lightly floured counter, roll the dough into a 20-by-12-inch rectangle. Position the dough so the short edge is facing you. With a pastry brush, brush the dough with the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Spread the sugar evenly over the top and roll over it lightly with the pin to press it into the dough.

5. With a long chef's knife, make 4 crosswise cuts at 4-inch intervals to form 5 strips that are each about 4-by-12-inches. Stack the 5 rectangles on top of each other.

6. With the chef's knife, cut the stack in half to form 2 stacks that are each about 4-by-6-inches. Make 2 evenly spaced cuts across each half to form rectangles that are about 2-by-4-inches. You should have 6 stacks of rectangles.

7. Fit the stacks in the pan, cut sides facing up, pressing them together, if necessary, to make them fit. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 45 to 60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.

8. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.

9. Remove the plastic wrap from the loaf pan. Set the pan on the baking sheet. Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Check toward the end of the baking time and if it is browning too quickly, cover the loaf loosely with foil. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should register 195 degrees.

GLAZE

cups confectioners' sugar
3tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
1tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add more lemon juice if you like icing extra tart. The glaze should be pourable. If it is too thick, thin it with water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

2. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. As soon as the bread comes out of the oven, transfer it to the rack. Leave the bread in the pan. Pour half the glaze over the bread. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Using the parchment as handles, gently lift the bread out of the pan and remove the parchment. Set the bread back on the rack. Drizzle the remaining icing over the top, letting the excess drip onto the baking sheet. Cool briefly. Serve warm, pulled apart into slices.

Adapted from the book "Baking for the Holidays"