3 cups bread flour
1 Tbsp. salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
Topping:
2/3 cup pure olive oil
2-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup diced garlic
1/2 tsp. oregano

Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Let stand until foamy, about ten minutes.

Add 2 cups bread flour and salt. Whisk vigorously until smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining bread and all-purpose flours, 1/2 cup at a time, using a wooden spoon. The dough will form a shaggy mass and clear sides of bowl.

Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, as necessary, until dough is soft, silk and resilient. It should not be sticky.

Place in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled in bulk, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. (At this point, dough can be punched down and placed in the refrigerator to rise again overnight.)

Portion dough into 2-ounce rolls (about the size of a golf ball) and place on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. (You can also shape the dough into three 16-ounce loaves, if desired.) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To prepare topping, combine olive oil, Parmesan, garlic and oregano in a bowl until blended. Remove plastic wrap from rolls. Spoon topping over each roll.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Makes 24 rolls.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This recipe is from America's Family Recipes, a Taste of Home Cookbook.

Orange Blueberry Muffins

1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup orange juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries
1-1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
Topping:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine oats and orange juice. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Combine oil, eggs and oat mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened Fold in blueberries and orange zest.

Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine Topping ingredientss and sprinkle over the batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes ot until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin pans to wire racks. Makes 1-1/2 dozen muffins.

What I do: I zest one entire orange, probably get closer to about a tablespoon of zest and use it all. And since I hate walnuts, I use the following Topping instead:

1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
2 Tbsp. chilled butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Cut chilled butter into ingredients until crumbly.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Vermont Maple Cornbread

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease pan and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat together egg, milk, butter and syrup. Add all dry ingredients on top and mix just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Multigrain Muffins

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I use pecans)
1/4 cup raisins

In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in nuts and raisins.

Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Makes 1 dozen.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Orange-Pineapple Muffins

Muffin Batter:
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure orange extract
1 tablespoon orange zest (1-2 oranges)
1 - 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained

Orange Glaze:
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup fresh orange juice

Powdered Sugar Glaze:
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon half-and-half or light cream

In a small bowl combine the sugar and cream until desired consistency. Add more sugar and/or cream if necessary.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and place rack in center of oven. Toast the pecans for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool and then chop into small pieces.

Grease or spray with Pam miniature muffin tins or mini-fluted muffin tins. Set aside while you make the batter.

In a separate bowl, whisk to combine, the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add the sour cream, orange extract, and orange zest. Beat to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Fold in the toasted pecans and drained pineapple.

Spoon the batter in the prepared muffin tins or mini-fluted muffin tins (about three-quarters full).

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (Length of baking time will depend on the size and color of the muffin tins used ~ i.e., dark colored pans will cook batter faster than lighter colored pans.)

While the muffins are baking combine the glaze ingredients (sugar and orange juice) in a small cup.

Remove the muffins from the oven and invert the muffins onto a wire rack. While the muffins are still very warm, dip or brush them with the orange glaze.

If desired, once the orange glazed muffins have completely cooled, drizzle them with the powdered sugar glaze.

Makes about 3 dozen miniature muffins or 24 mini-fluted muffins.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oatmeal Apple Raisin Muffins

1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 cup raisins
1 cup apple, chopped
1/2 cup oil
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients just enough to moisten. Do not over-mix. Pour or spoon into 12 greased muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hearty Carrot Muffins

3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup grated tart apple
1/2 cup shredded carrot
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 wheat bran
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I use a good teaspoon)

In a large bowl, beat the milk, syrup, egg whites, and oil until smooth. Stir in apple and carrot. Combine the dry ingredients; stir into milk mixture just until moistened. Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; fill two-thirds full. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 12 muffins.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Blueberry Buckle

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries
Crumb Topping (below)
Glaze (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease round pan, 9 x 1-1/2 inches. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, milk, and egg; beat 30 seconds. Carefully stir in blueberries. Spread batter in pan and sprinkle with Crumb Topping. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle with Glaze. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.

Crumb Topping:

1/4 cup firm butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients until crumbly.

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 to 2 tsp. hot water
Combine all ingredients.

google_ad_section_end

Last edited:

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great Grandma J's Swedish Rye Bread

2 cups rye flour

3/4 cup dark molasses (use part honey. We do half and half)

1/3 cup shortening

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups Boiling Water

1 package yeast

1/2 cup warm water

6 cups white flour (you'll end up using about 6 1/2 cups because of the flour you'll use to coat your hands and your counter top during the kneading process)

-Combine boiling water and shortening and add molasses, salt, rye flour and mix.  (we using mix with just a spoon or fork at this point)

-Soften yeast in the warm water and add to the mixture above

-Add the white flour and mix and knead until the dough is elastic. (you mix with your hands. Make sure you put flour on your hands when you mix and on the counter when you knead)

-Let Rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

-Punch down and let rise for 30 minutes.

-Divide dough in half and let rest for 15 minutes.

-Shape into two round loaves on a cookie sheet and let rise for 1 hour. 

-Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Notes:  Rising speed for this tends to vary. Don't worry if you make the bread more than once and it seems like the dough rises a lot slower (or quicker) then other times you make it. If its rising slower than a previous batch don't worry, it will catch up.     You can use all molasses if you want instead of half honey.   My great grandma found it to be a little strong with all molasses and no one on her side of the family were huge fans of molasses so the honey makes it milder. The original recipe has just the molasses but my great grandma hand wrote to use part honey but you can experiment with  the molasses/honey ratio to your tastes.   This bread is great with butter and spreads.  Its a good bread to eat with soups or stews. 

ENJOY!

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is sooo good! I love to make it during the fall/winter season! I usually make a powdered sugar glaze to drizzle on top of it.

Cinnamon-Swirl Bread

1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg (beaten)
1 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Mix 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir by hand just until moistened. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool. Wrap and store bread overnight before slicing. Serves 16

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Taste of Home

Onion Yorkshire Puddings

1/2 lb. yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk

In a large skillet, saute the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper in butter until tender, but not browned. Divide among eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.

In a large bowl, combine flour and remaining salt. Combine the eggs, water and milk, and whisk into flour just until blended.

Fill each ramekin with 1/4 cup batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Sesame Onion Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1 cup warm sour cream (110 to 115 degrees)
3 eggs (2 for the bread, 1 to mix with water for crust)
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6-1/2 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. cold water
3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
Caramelized Onion Butter
1 Tbsp. diced onion
6 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
3 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1/2 tsp. minced fresh parsley

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add sour cream, 2 eggs, onion soup mix, butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, and remaining warm water; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-inch rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid together. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until just golden.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, onion mixture, parsley, and remaining butter until creamy. Serve with the bread. Makes two loaves of bread and 2/3 cup butter.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Sun-Dried Tomato Bread

2 tsp. dried yeast mixed with 2 Tbsp. of the water
2 tsp. sugar
7 oz. lukewarm water (see above)
12 oz. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil from sun-dried tomato jar
2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces

Place the yeast in a bowl with the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the water. Mix until smooth.

Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the oil to the well in the center with the sun-dried tomatoes and yeast mixture, then mix with enough water to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Knead by hand for 10 minutes or by machine for 6 minutes until smooth and satiny. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat in a thin film of oil. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Knead the dough lightly and shape into a loaf. Place in an oiled 1-1/2 pound loaf pan and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place until it has risen just above the top of the pan.

Place in the top third of the oven and reduce the temperature to 400 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is from Light & Tasty and the rolls are excellent. They are high in calories. One roll equals over 400 calories. But (and this is important, too), one roll is equal to only about 7 grams of fat....which I think is about 63 calories of fat. And that's not bad. They're not sticky buns or anything like that. But they are good.

Jumbo Pineapple Yeast Rolls

2 pkg (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
2 cups warm fat free milk (110-115 degrees), divided
1 cup sugar, divided
2 eggs
6 Tbsp. butter or stick margarine, softened
1 tsp. salt
7-8 cups flour

Filling:
1 Tbsp. butter or stick margarine
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cups orange juice
1 can (8 oz.) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1/4 tsp. salt
15 maraschino cherries

Glaze:
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp. fat free milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, butter, salt, and remaining milk and sugar. Beat in 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

For Filling, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add the orange juice, pineapple, sugar, orange peel and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and cool.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 24-inch x 12-inch rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Place cut side down in a 13 x 9-inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top each roll with a cherry.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over rolls. Yields 15 rolls.

Note: I cover them with foil to stop them from browning too much. Just to be on the safe side....You want them golden brown, not dark brown.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From America's Best Loved Community Recipes, this bread is a keeper.

Onion Twist Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 113 degrees)
4 to 4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup hot water (120 to 130 degrees)
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1-1/2 tsp. salt
Filling:
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp. sesame seed
1 Tbsp. poppy seed
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. paprika

In a mixing bowl, stir yeast into the warm water. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes.

Stir in 2 cups of the flour, the melted butter, milk, hot water, sugar, beaten egg, and salt. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until moistened; beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in 2 cups additional flour.

On a floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough (5 to 8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl. Turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.

To make Filling, cook and stir the onion in the 1/4 cup butter until onion is tender, but not brown. Stir in Parmesan, sesame and poppy seeds, garlic salt, and paprika. Set aside.

Punch down the dough. If necessary, coat the dough lightly with flour until it is no longer sticky. Roll dough into a 16 x 9-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 3 strips, each 16 x 3 inches.

Spread the Filling down the center of each strip. Pull the dough up and around the filling. Carefully seal the edges and the ends and transfer the filled strips to a greased baking sheet, placing strips about one inch apart. You want to place the strips diagonally on the sheet pan as this is a long loaf.

Gently pull the strips, stretching until each measures about 18 inches in length. Starting in the middle, loosely braid by bring the left strip underneath the center strip; lay it down. Then bring the right strip under the new center strip; lay it down. Repeat to the end, keeping the seams of each strip inside the braid when possible. Press the ends together.

On the other end, loosely braid from the middle of the loaf by brining the outside strips alternately over the center strip. Press the ends together.

Cover and let the braid rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Makes one loaf, about 16 servings.

What I do: I use 2-1/4 tsp of instant yeast and knead it in my KA mixer for about 3 minutes. Finish up the kneading on the floured counter.
I use garlic powder, not salt.
You want to be very careful when sealing those edges....it's important that they are completely sealed or the filling will leak out.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is a good recipe from Best of Country Breads. I love to braid bread dough, so making these rolls was a lot of fun. They're really good, too. The person who submitted this recipe also suggests using the dough for hamburger buns.

Braided Peppery Cheese Rolls

4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 pkg. (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar

In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120-130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dogh. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-inch rope. Braid 3 ropes together. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Beat remaining egg; brush over braids. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 12 rolls.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Three-Grain Pan Rolls

2 cups water
1/2 cup bulgur
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
2 tsp. each celery seed, fennel seed, and sesame seeds
1 tsp. poppy seeds

In a saucepan, bring water to boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the oats, honey, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked bulgur, and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes (mixture will be lumpy). Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 22 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Brush two 0-inch round baking pans with some of the oil. Arrange 11 dough balls in each pan. Brush tops of balls with remaining oil.

In a bowl, combine the seeds, sprinkle over rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool. Makes 22 buns.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is from The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking. An excellent recipe! Not really a bread, but a type of casserole.

Spoon Bread

4 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp. butter
1 cup plain cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and light. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and butter. When hot, stir in the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. When the batter thickens, remove from the heat and gradually beat in the egg yolks.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they are stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, and pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately with butter. Makes 8 servings.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tuscan Flatbread (Schiacciata Toscana, "squashed" breads) from the book A thousand days in Tuscany by Marlena De Blasi. I got it from a good friend who loves to bake bread. It's delcious.

Tuscan Flatbread

Makes two 15-inch flatbreads.

1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 scant tsp. dark brown sugar
2-3/4 cups tepid water
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tsp. fine sea salt
6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves, finely minced
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
Additional olive oil for baking pans, drizzling, and final glossing

In a large bowl, mix the yeast and the sugar into the tepid water, stirring until the grains of sugar are dissolved. Cover with plastic wrap and let the yeast activate for 10 minutes. Stir the oil and salt together and pour it into the yeast mixture. Begin adding the flour, a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add the cornmeal all at once and mix to form a soft, dry dough. Add additional flour--a tablespoon at a time--if the dough feels sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 10 minutes. Place the dough into a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for an hour, or until doubled.

Release the air in the dough with a firm punch, divide the dough in two, and stretch each piece onto the surface of a lightly oiled 12-inch baking pan sprinkled with cornmeal. The dough will fight a bit, but don't be tempted to use a rolling pin. Using your fingertips, push the dough to the edges of the tin and let it rest. Go back to it in a few minutes and stretch it to the edges once again. The dough will have relaxed sufficiently by this time and should behave quite nicely under your hands. Cover the prepared Schacciate with clean kitchen towels and let them rise for half an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

After the second rise, press your fists, knuckles down, all over the breads, "squashing" them and creating indentations. Drizzle the tops of the schiacciate with oil, which will be captured in the indentations, and sprinkle with the rosemary and the sea salt, if using. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are deeply golden. Transfer the baked breads from their tins to wire racks to cool. Using a pastry brush, paint the hot, just-baked breads with a few drops of oil.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Traditionally, rather than being cut into slices, schiacciate are torn and passed around the table hand to hand.

Last edited: