Reccomendations For A First Time Cat Mom?

chloebelle

Geneva's Mama & Daughter of the OG Cat Lady!
Kitten
Purraise
I have always had cats as family pets and have been especially interested in them, but I am (hopefully, meeting for the first time today!!) getting MY first cat in a few days. She is a 3 month old kitten from our local humane society and I'm very excited. I just wanted some general pointers and tips on when you first bring a kitten home, or just kitten/cat care tips in general. I am going to be doing heavy duty cat shopping over the weekend. Any suggestions on what to buy? Thank you all!

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What to buy? You will need: dishes, food, litter and litter box, a cat tree, scratching post and toys. You will quickly discover that she is a kitten with probably tons of energy so toys are a must: there is two big different types: 1. those with which she can play alone: balls, small mice, springs, turbo cat toy ect.. and 2. those where you will move the toy to create movement for her: dabird, cat catcher, cat dancer ect... You should have some of both: she will play too much for you to be able to play as much as she wants so she must have something to do when you are busy but playing with her is very important too (it's the best way to bond with kittens). For her arrival: give her a small room of her own first with everything in it so she will not be overwelmed. She might be shy at first or she might not with kittens it can go both ways. If she is shy give her time and try to bond with her by talking sweetly, handfeeding her and playing. Never, ever force yourself on her: no kitten will learn to trust you by being forced out of a hiding spot and then petted. She must go out on her own. And in general treat her like you would like to be treated: don't force her into hugs, respect if she wants to play more than being petted ect... And be patient!! She will need your patience, she will play a lot, get into trouble, try to use your hands as a prey, keep you up at night... You will need to be patient, redirect her energy and remember that it will not always be like that. So patience but she will give it back to you 100 folds in the future. Oh and never ever punish her or yell at her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some general care tips to read:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Choose The Right Litterbox
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box?
How To Set Up An Effective Litterbox Maintenance Routine
How To Choose The Right Cat Litter
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Household Chemicals And Your Cats
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home
People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

I personally wouldn't go crazy with the shopping. Just buy the basics for now: bowls for food and water, food, litter box, litter, a pet carrier, something to scratch on, a few safe toys. You can always buy more stuff later on as you get to know your kitten more and learn what she likes and doesn't like.

Make sure to have a vet in mind to use. Ask friends and family for recommendations and check Yelp.com It's perfectly fine to switch vets if you feel one isn't very compassionate or knows a lot or you just don't get along with the vet or the staff. Having a vet you are comfortable with and who you feel values your concerns and your pet's well being is important. Also make sure to put the name, address, and phone number of the nearest vet ER on your fridge or in your smart phone. Pets get sick or injured when you least expect it and if it's after normal business hours or a holiday, you need to take your cat to a vet ER since the regular vet office won't be open. When you choose a regular vet, ask how emergencies are handled, especially after hours and holiday ones. You can also look here: VECCS – Facility Directory Vet ER bills are expensive and may require a deposit upfront. Many places don't offer any sort of payment plan or assistance so plan a way on affording a bill. Pet insurance may be helpfu and for regular vet visits, tool. A separate savings account just for vet bill use is another option.

Make sure to kitten-proof your home top to bottom. Kittens are too curious for their own good and naughty. Electrical cords are often chewed on, fragile items knocked off tables and shelves, plants knocked over, blind cords played with, yummy smelling household cleaners may be ingested, etc.

Kittens are bundles of energy, like little Tasmanian Devils
It's often recommened to get two kittens so they can play with each other. A single kitten may demand lots of attention from you and no amount of playtime may help alleviate the boredom or energy.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had never had an actual kitten before and when I adopted mine at 10 weeks old, the biggest thing that blindsided me was how much he ate. Kittens need to eat A LOT! Be prepared to sit there wondering why your kitty is screaming for more food when you JUST fed them. :lol: But know that it's completely normal for kittens to have a hefty appetite. This site helped me understand that when I first adopted the little psycho. Good luck with your new addition!