Cat Food Recall Recalled Cat Food Updates

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina Pro Plan Pet food - this is a keep an eye on this, the FDA is investigating at this point, there isn't a recall at the moment. But, again you will want to keep an eye on this.

Consumers allege Purina products behind pet illnesses/deaths – eFoodAlert
This is worrying me cause I feed my cats the Purina Pro Plan urinary tract health food. My cats didn’t like Royal Canin and Hill’s made Scooter sick. From what I am seeing it’s mainly dry dog food that is having the issues. That it’s mainly dogs being affected I don’t see urinary tract on the list. My cats are fine they do better on the pro plan wet food than the others. My dog only eats Little Cesar Simply Chicken she won’t eat dry food and she is fine. If there ends up being a recall I hope it’s not the urinary food cause I will be screwed. I don’t trust raw feeding & I don’t trust Blue Buffalo brand and there are no other options for me here. I feel bad for those who lost a furbaby. But I can’t switch foods and since it’s mainly dogs I will just keep an eye on this and on my furbabies.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the Purina issue, including Purina's response, a short history of this type of issue and the company's responses, and what the FDA is doing. I'm not offering any opinions, just trying to keep up with what is going on out there.

Purina Responds to “Online Rumors” – Truth about Pet Food

Just got this one, you should know that Purina has helped some of the pet parents whose pets got sick. I always want to know the good as well as the bad so here we are details below.

Purina says, “no health or safety issues” – eFoodAlert

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on the Purina issue, including Purina's response, a short history of this type of issue and the company's responses, and what the FDA is doing. I'm not offering any opinions, just trying to keep up with what is going on out there.

Purina Responds to “Online Rumors” – Truth about Pet Food

Just got this one, you should know that Purina has helped some of the pet parents whose pets got sick. I always want to know the good as well as the bad so here we are details below.

Purina says, “no health or safety issues” – eFoodAlert
They have released another statement as well

Purina Response to Online Reports

Also now it is apparently across multiple brands now the brands include:

4health
Acana
Blue Buffalo
Hill’s
Instinct
Kirkland
Merrick
Orijen
Organix
Pure Balance
Purina
Royal Canin
Stella and Chewy’s
Taste of The Wild

This is not to scare anyone who uses these brands it is what is being said. It’s coming from one FB group that has spread to TikTok & Instagram. If your pet is fine on any of these brands just monitor them. I really hope this blows over soon cause so many people are panicking now. But just remember there has been no official recalls on any of these brands.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed something in the links you provided, but I didn't see these other brands listed in them. Did I miss it?
It’s not on any other site it is coming from the Saving Pets One @ A Time FB group. It is being done by Dr Judy Morgan a holistic vet. I haven’t looked at that FB group anymore but saw the updated list on Instagram.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, I'm not on FB, so I missed that.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, I'm not on FB, so I missed that.
TBH I wouldn’t recommend it at least when it comes to that FB group. I wouldn’t recommend anyone joining that group. The foods they recommend are mostly raw or freeze dried foods all very pricy. If others ask for a different list they are pointed to the owner of Truth About Pet Food website who charges $10 to see the list of recommended pet food. Many are thinking it is bad ingredients from a supplier these companies use or something is up for it to be multiple brands. I never joined the group but there group is public anyone can see the posts. That group is very toxic they are rude to anyone who asks details questions. So anyone here who has FB I would recommend not joining that group.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s not on any other site it is coming from the Saving Pets One @ A Time FB group. It is being done by Dr Judy Morgan a holistic vet. I haven’t looked at that FB group anymore but saw the updated list on Instagram.
Odd that this organization does not include any of this 'information' on their web site since they have one. And what is on FB states that it isn't really known what, if any, ingredients are involved. It is all speculation without validation at this point. It appears their sole source is Dr. Judy Morgan, who also has a web site with no information other than to sell her products, including a blog that also contains nothing about this. The reason one can't find anything reliable to support this is because there is nothing - as of yet reliable - to substantiate it.

It is a disservice to this site - or any site for that matter - for anyone to post anything that is overly broad, generic, speculative, and unsubstantiated. There is nothing behind this whole issue - as of yet, if ever - and should be considered in that context.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Odd that this organization does not include any of this 'information' on their web site since they have one. And what is on FB states that it isn't really known what, if any, ingredients are involved. It is all speculation without validation at this point. It appears their sole source is Dr. Judy Morgan, who also has a web site with no information other than to sell her products, including a blog that also contains nothing about this. The reason one can't find anything reliable to support this is because there is nothing - as of yet reliable - to substantiate it.

It is a disservice to this site - or any site for that matter - for anyone to post anything that is overly broad, generic, speculative, and unsubstantiated. There is nothing behind this whole issue - as of yet, if ever - and should be considered in that context.
I went to Dr Judy Morgan’s Instagram where the updated list is at. In the comments many are asking for more info about it they get ignored. Someone asked where is the info is coming from. Judy apparently said a survey in that FB group from pet parents and they get reviews from sites like Chewy and Amazon. Supposedly samples of food have been sent for testing. When people ask for results they get results should be back in a week or few. That FB group is very toxic. It was started by a woman named Kelly who lost her service dog to a Vitamin D toxicity in Hills food 2 weeks before Hills recalled the food in 2019. That is when she started the FB group with claims to help pet parents. They are very rude people who basically say vets and even those who specialize in pet nutrition. But they listen to the 9 holistic vets in that group including Dr Judy Morgan who is not certified in nutrition. She retired from being a vet in 2020. That group is also against vaccines and flea/tick treatment as well. The way many brands are being added has many who first joined doubt them and wonder what their agenda is really. Anyone who asks questions gets rude comments then kicked from the group. The only info there is really is from what people say. Many are saying the food is the reason for some illnesses that can’t be caused by food. It’s crazy how one group can cause so much fear and panic. Something is going on cause so many brands can’t have that problem all at once. Yeah it did happen in 2007 but it wasn’t that many brands and recalls happened quick. But for it to happen now makes me suspicious of that group.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seemed plausible at first, when it was just one brand that a lot of people tend to avoid/already have concerns over. I didn't blame people for being cautious. Then when the list expanded to include even Stella and Chewy and others it started getting really absurd. If it affects a brand that is so far outside of the "norm" for canned food then nearly every food in existence would be affected. And the fact that they made these little charts that had no source information at all, not even the group name, made my eyes roll. I left the group faster than I joined (was going to keep an eye on it because my brother feeds his dry food from normie brands lol)

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have released another statement as well

Purina Response to Online Reports

Also now it is apparently across multiple brands now the brands include:

4health
Acana
Blue Buffalo
Hill’s
Instinct
Kirkland
Merrick
Orijen
Organix
Pure Balance
Purina
Royal Canin
Stella and Chewy’s
Taste of The Wild

This is not to scare anyone who uses these brands it is what is being said. It’s coming from one FB group that has spread to TikTok & Instagram. If your pet is fine on any of these brands just monitor them. I really hope this blows over soon cause so many people are panicking now. But just remember there has been no official recalls on any of these brands.
Take this with a grain of salt. Purina says no issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s crazy how one group can cause so much fear and panic.
And, yet you fed to their frenzy with your post, even with your forewarning about it. People don't always read all the details to know what you said at the end of your post. Sorry to say that, but if you don't 'trust' them in the first place, please don't give them more fuel to add to what appears to be their 'faux' fire.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seemed plausible at first, when it was just one brand that a lot of people tend to avoid/already have concerns over. I didn't blame people for being cautious. Then when the list expanded to include even Stella and Chewy and others it started getting really absurd. If it affects a brand that is so far outside of the "norm" for canned food then nearly every food in existence would be affected. And the fact that they made these little charts that had no source information at all, not even the group name, made my eyes roll. I left the group faster than I joined (was going to keep an eye on it because my brother feeds his dry food from normie brands lol)
I never really joined but their group is public so anyone can see the posts. When I first heard about this I did look into the group seeing what was going on. But when I saw how toxic they were on certain things I was glad I didn’t join. I mean they block anyone who asks for more info or sources for their information. I do suspect if something is wrong then it’s happening during storage or shipping that it’s not the food itself. It sent me in a panic cause I was like great what can I feed Scooter & Casper now. But after researching and reassurance from a lot of people around me I deleted the search off my facebook search history so I don’t see it. I haven’t looked since. I’m trying to learn how to take things one day at a time. Seeing that group did help so I’m glad I erased it from my search history on FB. So much better for my anxiety that way.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And, yet you fed to their frenzy with your post, even with your forewarning about it. People don't always read all the details to know what you said at the end of your post. Sorry to say that, but if you don't 'trust' them in the first place, please don't give them more fuel to add to what appears to be their 'faux' fire.
Oh I am sorry I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I can’t really edit the post now though. If you or another mod/staff member can edit it go ahead. Take off anything after the link to Purina’s new statement.