Re: Cat Stats

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know where to put this, but I had to post about it.

As a longtime supporter when possible and afficionado at all times of Best Friends Animal Society, headquartered in Utah, I am an avid reader of their magazine, and in the latest issue are some stats every one of us who cares for and about cats can be grateful for.

In 1984, when Best Friends came into being, an estimated 17 MILLION companion animals lost their lives annually in US Animal Controls, humane societies, and shelters. You read that right. SEVENTEEN MILLION.

In the wake of Best Friends' 35th Anniversary, they now report that approximately 800,000 companion animals lose their lives annually in those entities.

Eight hundred thousand. It's an unimaginably high number. But it's 16,2000 fewer than lost their lives in 1984, due to increased spaying/neutering, adopting for life, humane education, effective TNR/TNVR/RTF programs, and other factors. While I unequivocally oppose their anti-BSL stance, I am grateful to BFAS for being the flagship nationally and internationally for those of us determined, as their motto states, to "Save Them All" -- a goal which is absolutely obtainable by 2025.

Join us.:yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tnr I got Lelia from recently neutured cat number 11,000 in about 11.5 years. They've adopted out over 1,000 cats. Every little bit helps. We can't take in anymore cats now, but I do donate to them when I can.
:yess::goldstar::cheerleader::clap2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I unequivocally oppose their anti-BSL stance
Off-topic I know, but since you mentioned it. . .please don't support the government taking my family members away and killing them. Once they ban dog breeds, they may come for cats next, for "spreading toxoplasmosis" or being a danger to birds or whatever. Be careful what you wish for! I'm eternally grateful for anti-BSL organizations like Best Friends.

Anyway, yes, there have been huge strides in animal welfare. It's rough in farm states, and hard to make progress, but I've seen huge improvements just since moving here.

Let's keep up the good work!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off-topic I know, but since you mentioned it. . .please don't support the government taking my family members away and killing them. Once they ban dog breeds, they may come for cats next, for "spreading toxoplasmosis" or being a danger to birds or whatever. Be careful what you wish for! I'm eternally grateful for anti-BSL organizations like Best Friends.

Anyway, yes, there have been huge strides in animal welfare. It's rough in farm states, and hard to make progress, but I've seen huge improvements just since moving here.

Let's keep up the good work!
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. If someone wants to kill my family members they'll have to fight me. That's not something I can agree to.

If someone says all cats should be killed, can you "agree to disagree" with them about that?
Anyway, that's my last comment on the subject.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Claims to be an animal lover who wants to save lives but wishes death upon certain dog breeds? That's lovely.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Claims to be an animal lover who wants to save lives but wishes death upon certain dog breeds? That's lovely.
Read the stats about the thousands of people, cats, other dogs killed and maimed for life by these things. Yeah, absolutely. They have no place in a civilized society.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So SICK of being told what to think and that I am "wrong" for wanting innocent people and animals to be able to go out in their own yards or anywhere else and not risk being maimed/killed by dogs that have been purpose bred for generations to kill. I was posting about our success in advocating for CATS on The CAT Site. I mentioned that I am a great supporter of Best Friends but that I do not agree with their position on dangerous dog breeds and BSL. So far, two people have been quite unpleasant about this. I stand by my feelings and my post, and I ask for the flaming to stop. You're entitled to your POV and I am to mine.

Last edited:

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So SICK of being told what to think and that I am "wrong" for wanting innocent people and animals to be able to go out in their own yards or anywhere else and not risk being maimed/killed by dogs that have been purpose bred for generations to kill. I was posting about our success in advocating for CATS on The CAT Site. I mentioned that I am a great supporter of Best Friends but that I do not agree with their position on dangerous dog breeds and BSL. So far, two people have been quite unpleasant about this. I stand by my feelings and my post, and I ask for the flaming to stop. You're entitled to your POV and I am to mine.
And I pretty much agree with this as well. The problem isn't the poor animals who need to be put down because they've been trained, bred, and brain-washed into behaving the way they do. It's the people who trained or neglected them into doing so.

Punish the people who are the cause, and the effect of the animals go away. Sadly I don't see this happening anytime in our lifetimes, so all we can do, as responsible people, is help other people and animals where we can. Which is why I post here when I get my free moments :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why mention that you don't like Best Friend's position on BSL if you don't want to discuss it?

Of course people should be able to go outside without being attacked by dogs. To get to that point, you punish the irresponsible dog owners. You don't kill responsible people's family members because other people are irresponsible. No dog should ever be running around loose, regardless of breed.

Also, BSL doesn't work. Places that have enacted BSL have not had any decreases in dog bites or attacks, because it doesn't get to the root of the problem, which is bad dog owners. If they're cruel/neglectful/irresponsible with one breed, they'll be cruel/neglectful/irresponsible with any other breed too.

I'm sorry you think it's unpleasant to mention that I don't want my family members killed.

Last edited: