Rawz Or Gray Gourmet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rawz and Stella and Chewy's were the two canned foods that my 12 year old took to when taken off of dry food a few months back. He has a sensitive system with his IBD and I've only been feeding the Turkey varieties as well as some homemade and commercial freeze dried and some commercial frozen.

Rawz is really good food. Nothing funky but some fenugreek seed. It's also calorie dense, about 200 calories per 5.5 oz can so while it isn't cheap, the extra caloric density makes up for some of it. Plus, all company profits go toward charitable causes ... providing service dogs, spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury.
I didn't know S&C had canned food. I thought they only had raw products.

Yeah they definitely aren't ship. But I'm willing to pay extra for better quality food. And the whole charity thing is also good to hear. I like it when companies do those sort of things.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Freshpet rolls have worked quite well for my Cats, I've been getting the turkey&turkey liver rolls ever since ordering raw food got too expensive for my limited budget. The ingredients are fairly good and the price is about on par with some of the good quality canned foods, but I don't recommend the bags because in my experience they start to go bad rather quickly.

The only complaint I have is you can't get it online and have to find a store near you that carries it, usually somewhere like Kroger, Meijer, or Pet Supplies Plus.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The S&C "canned" actually comes in a box. It's listed on their website. I've never seen it for sale online. I'm lucky in that there are two pet store close to me that sell it and keep it in stock.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Freshpet rolls have worked quite well for my Cats, I've been getting the turkey&turkey liver rolls ever since ordering raw food got too expensive for my limited budget. The ingredients are fairly good and the price is about on par with some of the good quality canned foods, but I don't recommend the bags because in my experience they start to go bad rather quickly.

The only complaint I have is you can't get it online and have to find a store near you that carries it, usually somewhere like Kroger, Meijer, or Pet Supplies Plus.
I think I've seen those at the Meijer near me. I never paid much attention to the raw/refrigerated section of pet food there since it's so small. There is a really nice pet store called Pet X Supplies & Track that sell a whole bunch of raw, freeze-dried, etc. I'll have to go in there to check it out more thoroughly.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The S&C "canned" actually comes in a box. It's listed on their website. I've never seen it for sale online. I'm lucky in that there are two pet store close to me that sell it and keep it in stock.
I think there might be some S&C at the Pet X store near me. I know they have primal. I'll have to go there again sometime and browse.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've seen those at the Meijer near me. I never paid much attention to the raw/refrigerated section of pet food there since it's so small. There is a really nice pet store called Pet X Supplies & Track that sell a whole bunch of raw, freeze-dried, etc. I'll have to go in there to check it out more thoroughly.
If you have a pet store that stocks a lot of frozen/freeze dried/refrigerated foods then yeah, that would probably be your best bet.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have a pet store that stocks a lot of frozen/freeze dried/refrigerated foods then yeah, that would probably be your best bet.
Yeah, the place has endless shelves of all kinds of food.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm crossing my fingers that your kittens will like the good stuff, but well, you know, you never know :)
Well Rawz is a hit. They sent me the shredded instead of the pate, so won't be ordering from Hearty Pet again. But my Theo will try to weed through the fancy feast just so he can eat the rawz mixed in. Finny seems to really like it as well.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, if they currently eat fancy feast, it may be difficult to get them to like a better quality stuff. One of my cats who doesn’t like good quality chicken, does like fancy feast chicken. I wouldn’t make assumptions if I were you.

Check Only Natural Pet site, you can buy individual cans from there. I recommend Hound&Gatos, BFF, Essence, Weruwa if you want to feed fish. They all have gums. Gums are everywhere:(

Fancy feast classic pates are not the worst choice if they won’t accept anything else.

As for Rawz, I buy it from Bernal Beast and they have been great.

European cat food has different nutritional requirements than US ones (it’s much less supplemented) so I don’t think zooplus will ever sell here. But yeah, I’ve never heard of gums in cat food until I moved here. And it was so much more reasonably priced.
It’s frustrating as my cats have allergies to gums. The only one they don’t have issues with is agar. I can give some gums a few times a week now without them having explosive diarrhea.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s frustrating as my cats have allergies to gums. The only one they don’t have issues with is agar. I can give some gums a few times a week now without them having explosive diarrhea.
I can understand why so many people choose to make their own. Because yeah it's so frustrating, especially when you live in the US and all the good stuff doesn't ship here. Explosive diarrhea definitely isn't a fun experience.