Rawz Or Gray Gourmet?

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to decide what wet cat food to feed my two four month old kittens I'll be adopting this Saturday (the tabby will be named Theodore and the white one will be Finnegan).

I want to avoid all gums and unnecessary ingredients that I tend to find in most brands. These two, so far, anyway, have been the only ones I've found that is what I'm looking for ingredients-wise.

But I'm still new to cat nutrition and was wondering, with your knowledge and experience, which brand sounds better? I know in the end, it's whatever they will eat (though their foster mom said they will pretty much eat anything, so I'm hoping that means they aren't picky eaters), but unless they won't eat anything else I refuse to continue feeding them anything with the word artificial listed in the ingredients.

I'd like to go raw in the future, but right now I want to start with a good can food brand.

Thanks for any advice and opinions! :)

IMG_7387.jpg IMG_7282.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant Grau Gourmet. Stupid auto correct lol

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should feed both. Variety is good.

Cute kitties by the way!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where can you buy Grau Gourmet? I wanted to have a look at the ingredients. I used to feed my cats Grau German food back in Luxembourg, but I didn't think they sell in the US, so I'd be glad to see if it's the same food. Oh I so hope it is!

I like Rawz and by all means feed this. But I second the variety.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
where can you buy Grau Gourmet? I wanted to have a look at the ingredients. I used to feed my cats Grau German food back in Luxembourg, but I didn't think they sell in the US, so I'd be glad to see if it's the same food. Oh I so hope it is!

I like Rawz and by all means feed this. But I second the variety.
There's a site called Zooplus:
Grau Gourmet Grain-Free 6 x 800g

It looks like you can order it on there, along with other kinds of cat/dog foods.

I ordered a pack of 18 of rawz to see how fast the site ships (not fast at all, though maybe if I subscribe I'd get it faster).

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be glad to see if it's the same food. Oh I so hope it is!/QUOTE]

Let me know if it is! I'm on mobile so exploring the site is kind of a pain. I need to look further into it when I get home

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re Rawz, you can ask the producer for samples before you decide to buy, they’ll send you for free and you’ll see which flavors your cats like. I’d cancel the order and try the samples first.

Yes, this is the food I was feeding. I was using zooplus, but last time I checked they weren’t sending to USA... did that changed?

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Re Rawz, you can ask the producer for samples before you decide to buy, they’ll send you for free and you’ll see which flavors your cats like. I’d cancel the order and try the samples first.

Yes, this is the food I was feeding. I was using zooplus, but last time I checked they weren’t sending to USA... did that changed?
I figured chicken was a safe flavor to try since they already eat chicken (and beef. The fancy feast they're on has three different flavors), but since it hasn't even shipped yet (and I ordered the dang thing Friday), I'm sure I have time to cancel if I decide to.

I'm not sure. I can explore the site now that I'm home and see if they ship here or not. I hope it does. Seems like all the good stuff either cost a fortune or doesn't ship where you live -_- lol

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
last time I checked they weren’t sending to USA... did that changed?
Doesn't look like it :sigh: Oh well, that sucks. It sounded like a really good brand. I'll probably just see how Rawz goes over with them and if all goes well, I'll have them on that until I can hopefully go raw in the future. It's ridiculously expensive but at least I get free shipping lol

But thanks for all the replies. Maybe one day they will ship here or the brand will sell on a site that does.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if they currently eat fancy feast, it may be difficult to get them to like a better quality stuff. One of my cats who doesn’t like good quality chicken, does like fancy feast chicken. I wouldn’t make assumptions if I were you.

Check Only Natural Pet site, you can buy individual cans from there. I recommend Hound&Gatos, BFF, Essence, Weruwa if you want to feed fish. They all have gums. Gums are everywhere:(

Fancy feast classic pates are not the worst choice if they won’t accept anything else.

As for Rawz, I buy it from Bernal Beast and they have been great.

European cat food has different nutritional requirements than US ones (it’s much less supplemented) so I don’t think zooplus will ever sell here. But yeah, I’ve never heard of gums in cat food until I moved here. And it was so much more reasonably priced.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, if they currently eat fancy feast, it may be difficult to get them to like a better quality stuff. One of my cats who doesn’t like good quality chicken, does like fancy feast chicken. I wouldn’t make assumptions if I were you.

Check Only Natural Pet site, you can buy individual cans from there. I recommend Hound&Gatos, BFF, Essence, Weruwa if you want to feed fish. They all have gums. Gums are everywhere:(

Fancy feast classic pates are not the worst choice if they won’t accept anything else.

As for Rawz, I buy it from Bernal Beast and they have been great.

European cat food has different nutritional requirements than US ones (it’s much less supplemented) so I don’t think zooplus will ever sell here. But yeah, I’ve never heard of gums in cat food until I moved here. And it was so much more reasonably priced.
I'm mostly just crossing my fingers that they will go for the high-quality stuff lol and while I know fancy feats isn't the worst food ever, I'm really not a fan of artificial stuff added in my cats' food. I'll feed it to them if that is all they will touch, obviously, but I'm gonna give rawz a try and just hope for the best. If they turn their noses up, I'll give what I have to Nico's (cat in avatar) old foster mom to try.

Learning about cat nutrition even a little has made me see why so many people choose to make their own food. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do that right now so I either have to find that one miracle brand that avoids gums or turn a blind eye.

I will take a look on Bernal, thanks!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was there, I was super frustrated with the cat food and I was not quiet about this on this forum :D especially that I used to give my cats high quality stuff without unnecessary ingredients before the move over the ocean. Eventually I partially turned a blind eye and feed some questionable cans, but mostly I transitioned my cats to commercial frozen raw food, not ideal too, but it's the stage towards preparing raw food for them - difficult as I'm vegetarian, but I can see it already on the horizon :)

I'm crossing my fingers that your kittens will like the good stuff, but well, you know, you never know :)

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was there, I was super frustrated with the cat food and I was not quiet about this on this forum :D especially that I used to give my cats high quality stuff without unnecessary ingredients before the move over the ocean. Eventually I partially turned a blind eye and feed some questionable cans, but mostly I transitioned my cats to commercial frozen raw food, not ideal too, but it's the stage towards preparing raw food for them - difficult as I'm vegetarian, but I can see it already on the horizon :)

I'm crossing my fingers that your kittens will like the good stuff, but well, you know, you never know :)
It is frustrating. I almost wish I could go back to not knowing what I do now, but I'm also thankful for what I've learned. Homemade raw is hopefully the endgame, but we all gotta take our own little steps to get there if the stubborn cats even let us lol

I'm sorry it's hard for you. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, so I can't understand what you must go through, but I'm glad you're willing to do it for your babies! :)

Yeah, here's to hoping lol

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's available where you live, my Hima's favorite is Naturea chicken. That's the only food she didn't get tired of after months. Chicken | Naturea

P.S. I tried their Tuna with Prawns. That was really bad. Smelled so awful I didn't even give it to Hima.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's available where you live, my Hima's favorite is Naturea chicken. That's the only food she didn't get tired of after months. Chicken | Naturea

P.S. I tried their Tuna with Prawns. That was really bad. Smelled so awful I didn't even give it to Hima.
I'm not planning to feed them fish as a meal, just a treat, so no worries there I guess lol but thanks, I'll check the brand out.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I fed the girls Rawz before I began making their food. They all liked it, and I thought the ingredients were first-rate. I still keep the turkey and chicken flavors on hand and rotate them in from time to time for variety's sake--and to give myself a small break from making cat food which is fairly time consuming. They still eat it but clearly prefer the food I make. Nothing like Mom's homemade meals! :)

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rawz and Stella and Chewy's were the two canned foods that my 12 year old took to when taken off of dry food a few months back. He has a sensitive system with his IBD and I've only been feeding the Turkey varieties as well as some homemade and commercial freeze dried and some commercial frozen.

Rawz is really good food. Nothing funky but some fenugreek seed. It's also calorie dense, about 200 calories per 5.5 oz can so while it isn't cheap, the extra caloric density makes up for some of it. Plus, all company profits go toward charitable causes ... providing service dogs, spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed the girls Rawz before I began making their food. They all liked it, and I thought the ingredients were first-rate. I still keep the turkey and chicken flavors on hand and rotate them in from time to time for variety's sake--and to give myself a small break from making cat food which is fairly time consuming. They still eat it but clearly prefer the food I make. Nothing like Mom's homemade meals! :)
I'm hoping to make homemade one day, but right now I'm starting them on a good can food brand. Hopefully mine will one day prefer homemade too!