Rabies??

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WE DO!  If I were you I would have given up on them and brought the kitten in, trusting the Cat Goddess to protect me from harm because I'm caring for one of her children.  It has worked for 60 years now.....

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew it!! Those are the words I've been waiting a week to hear :) Now you can take that crying little kitty inside and smother him in love.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't posted here because I didn't have anything to add to all the support and encouragement you've gotten.  But now I do:

WHOO HOO, WHOOP DE DOO, ALLELUIA!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg I am beyond happy. Thank you everyone for all the emotional support. I really needed it, I am pretty sure I cracked last week, was a little too much thrown at me. I am so thankful to have so have so many understanding people to have helped me through that.

I am traveling for business tomorrow and wasn't able to get the little guy outside to the vet today. So he will have to go first thing when I get back... Saturday morning. If he passes the feline luekiama and stuff he will be coming in and joining the clan. I cant wait wish I could do it today. He has gotten better less crying but he really comes and talks to me when I go outside. Ive been spending time with him making sure he doesnt feel too alone. I have a great cat sitter that lives in the building and he knows the whole story, so will be making sure he is ok till I get back.

Ahhhhh feel so relieved I cant even tell you. A huge weight lifted.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping fingers crossed that theother tests come out OK.  If you get any positives, there are plenty of experienced people here who can give you info on how to deal with that.  Also, depending on his age, sometimes a positive is a FALSE positive, and time will correct it.  Let's just pray for NEGATIVE tests and avoid all that complication.  The poor baby needs to come inside.  He could come in NOW if he went into his own room because neither of these things is airborne (FIV and FeLv).  Still, when bringing ANY cat in from the outside, it is best to isolate them from your other cats for a week to 10 days just to make sure they are not incubating anything like a cold, flu etc.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Red Top. Yes I have already had a cat test a false positive when he was a kitten, then 6 months later a negative.

If he does test positive for Feline Luekiama, not sure I have any other choice then to put him back outside. I dont have the room ( 1 bedroom apartment ) to seperate him from my 3 other indoor cats. I have also not given up hope that his Mama might still come home. That would be the best thing and make me so happy.

I am traveling this week but before I left he got a new feathery toy that he loved. Was strutting around with, playing. He is defiantly less emotional and not as sad as he first was when he lost his two buddies.

Hopfully all goes well and everything is negative. Then I hope he is able to transition to being inside. One day at a time of course. If it doesnt work it doesnt work, at least I tried. When I take him to the vet ill get him updated on all vaccines too, including rabies! Ahhh I dont even want to say that word after all of this.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update I had a vet appointment today for the little one left outside.... I worked for hours and could not get him in the trap. Hes been trapped before so it seems he knows whats up.

He seems more content at the moment and definitely crying less. Hes been being showered with attention and toys. Ive been talking with him. Ill see what happens the next few weeks...maybe the transition inside will have to be more slow thnen me just trapping and bringing in. He seems terrified of the cage.

Ive started a search for the mother. I posted an ad on Craigslist last night and then someone posted to a few facebook groups. A lot of people that live near me said they will check around. Someone said they have an apartment facing my yard and will be on the lookout! Since Ivr gotten a big response from that i might post a flyer too. Hoping she is ok. My mind races with negative thoughts like she is stuck and starving to death or was poisoned :(. Trying to keep away from that though I am hoping for a happy ending with her...but hard to see as time goes on.

I will update if anything changes.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe the buddies were trapped and that is why he's so scared of it.  You can desensitize by putting out the trap with the door zip tied up and put his food next to it (not in it)  When that starts being ho hum, then move it closer tp the trap door, etc. until he is finally eating wet food inside the trap, towards the back of it.  Let that be for awhile and then eventually you set the trap.  If yuo could lure him inside by feeding him closer and closer to yur home, that would be better and less traumatic.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you lure him into your home with a laser toy, wand toy, or some tuna fish? Once you get him into a room in your home, you could grab him while you're playing with him and get him into a carrier. You could throw a towel or small blanket over him and scoop him into an upright cat carrier. I think you'd have better luck doing this method than trying to get him back into a trap. He will forgive you, I promise. He will be so happy to be inside with you, especially when winter comes.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've been feeding him right by the trap. This was a great idea and he has gotten more and more comfortable just being around it.

I am not sure this is going to end how I want it to. I dont think hes going to transition to inside. Tonight when I fed him he came into the house. I threw some extra treats down to distract him and was able to shut the door. He totally panicked. Was going from window to window almost knocking things down. Crying bloody murder. I thought just give him a little time and he will calm down. I waited 5 to 10 and he was still panicking so I opened the door back up. He seemed so happy to be back out and has barley made a cry tonight :/.

I am getting the feeling I might be forcing something that isnt right bc I want it. He does have an amazing shed I built with heated cubbys and lighting. I also have been buying him tonz of toys latley including an automatic laser light that he loves.

I will probably start a new thread on taming a feral to get advice. Been praying everyday to St Anthony that he brings lost Mama home that would probably be the best thing for this guy. Not sure anymore if theres much more I can do at the moment.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is the normal reaction to a feral trapped inside.  Claustrophobic.  If theres a way you can leave the door open when you are around with food inside, let him come in and eat but don't close him in.  It took me a long time to get Grey Boy to come in after he was freed when he was completely healed, but eventually it rained and he remembered his warm inside laundry basket which was much more comfy than his Man Cave under the old deck, and he saw the others going in and out, and I left the door open and he came in.  He went out again, but came in again.  This went on and on.  But he moved in.  He still goes out occasionally but he prefers in.  I never believed that would happen.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could try leaving him inside a few minutes longer each day, and provide him with new catnip toys inside. He may become an indoor/outdoor cat. It would be great if he learned to feel comfortable inside, and then had the option of staying inside during the bitterly cold and snowy winter months.

Some feral cats adjust to being indoors, but others, the older and "true" ferals, don't. Being confined indoors is very stressful for them-- they have been outside and independent for too long,  and the best option is to continue to care for them outdoors.  I've taken in four ferals. Three of them adjusted rather quickly and didn't express a desire to return outdoors (they were all under a year old, the oldest being 10-12 months). There was a bit of crying for a couple days, but no caterwauling, trying to escape, wall scaling, pawing at the window, or darting for the door. They decided rather quickly that inside was better than outside.  The fourth was a few years old and a true feral--and after 3 days of caterwauling, scaling the walls and windows, and going completely nuts, I let him back outside and cared for him outside until he passed. On many occasions, I had held my front door open for him during -15 degree weather and he still always chose to remain outdoors, even though he knew my indoor cats, and saw they were content. The older feral cats they are, the less likely it is that they will adjust to being an indoor only cat. There are also some cats (generally not ferals) who can  be trained to go out on a harness and lead. Only time will tell what situation works best for your cat.  Each cat is different, so go with your instinct.     

Last edited: