Rabies??

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi...so today one of my ferals had to be put down. I am heartbroken and extremely sad. He was fine yesterday. Then this morning he didnt come to eat and I found him laying in the neighbors yard panting and crying. It seemed like he couldn't move his back legs. I thought he got hit by a car or something. So I trapped him and brought him to the vet and the Dr said he might have rabies by the way he was acting.

He was at that point twitching and seemed to have clear neorlogical damage.

They put him down humanly and are going to send him out to be tested but won't get results back for weeks.

Now I am not only upset about the death but worried all the cats have it including my indoor cats and myself! He scratched me a few weeks ago. The outdoor cats all play bite and one of mine goes outside and has contact with them and play bites and then plays with the rest indoor. He bites me too sometimes playfully.

I dont know if I should be bleaching their shelters out cleaning everything or leaving it alone so I minimize my contact.

He was vaccinated for rabies end of February of last year...so a year and a couple months ago. The rest were vaccinated around the same time. Could he of had it before being vaccinated and it was dormit till now.

So many questions. Has anyone dealt with this. I am at a loss, feeling like I should of never of done any of this TNR. I am totally freaked out for me and all the cats.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, how terrible for you! And him of course, but the stress for you must be terrible.

The rabies vaccine is one of the most effective vaccines, and usually confers long-lasting immunity. So really it shouldn't happen. . .but then there's always some who don't develop proper immunity, so it's possible, just not likely. Poison or injury would be more likely.

If he tests positive, they'll probably make you get vaccinated. If the other cats are still within the legal time for the rabies vaccine, I think they just give them a booster. If it was only a one-year-labeled vaccine. . .there might be trouble :(. But hopefully that won't be an issue. :vibes: that he tests negative!

ETA: this is what I found in regards to disinfecting:

"The rabies virus is fragile under most normal conditions. It is destroyed within a few minutes at temperatures greater than 122°F, and survives no more than a few hours at room temperature. The virus is no longer infectious once the material containing the virus is dry. The rabies virus is also easily killed by most common detergents and disinfectants including household bleach, (1/2 cup per one gallon of water)."

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! If it helps ease your mind at all, rabies is very rare in ferals. Cats usually have to be bitten by a raccoon or a skunk to get it, and most cats will run away from those animals rather than try to fight them. There hasn't been a cat to human rabies transmission in the US for over 40 years. Like Willowy said, the vaccine is really good. Even the one-year version has been shown to last at least 3 years, if not much, much longer (I think there are studies that are still ongoing trying to figure out just how long!).

The incubation period for rabies seems to be about 3-12 weeks, so I think it's really doubtful that he could have been infected and not shown symptoms until over a year later. And rabies does not reach the saliva and become infectious until symptoms start to appear, so even then it doesn't sound like he could have infected anyone else.

I'm not sure why vets are so quick to jump to rabies when feral cats are involved. I guess it has something to do with all the intense and overcautious legislation about the prevention of the disease.

Thank you for taking such good care of these cats. You have improved so many lives through your TNR efforts. It's impossible to keep them safe from everything, and even though he's passed now, he enjoyed a life with more health and happiness than he could have without you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so stressed out I cannot sleep.

I need to pull my paperwork tomorrow, but my guess is they only do a year long vaccine for rabies. Since it was end of February last year they are all past the timing. If the test comes back testing positive what does that mean? They will put down all the other cats including my indoor ones? I don't remember when I had them last vaccinated rabies is not something that crosses my mind. I read the same things that the vaccine might last longer....but state laws are laws so I have no idea how this stuff is handled. I feel like I just entered a huge mess i have no solution for.

It would be so devestating and heartbreaking to lose them all at once. I am not sure I could even handle that. But if this is a possibility I need to figure out what I am dealing with.

I might go get tested tomorrow just to be on top of it before I start getting phone calls. The vet said the Department of health would be calling.

Feeling so lost that I didn't even consider this as a possibility of happening.

This is a vet that deals with TNR cats on occasion and we are in the city Brooklym Ny...so I don't take his suspicion lightly. I don't think he was jumping to conclusions just because he was a ferel, in fact he treated this cat last year around this time for something unrelated.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From everything I've read on the subject, studies have shown that the 1 year vaccination is effective for 3 years, but the approval for marketing the 1 year vaccine for 3 years is still pending. I can't help but believe that the drug companies are taking their time with the process because they make more money from the annual vaccination than for a vaccination that is only required every 3 years. I guess this is my cynicism showing. And you're right, despite the reality of the length of protection of the shot, the state will follow state laws.

Rabies is spread by a deep bite wound, or saliva that gets into an open wound. When a raccoon attacks a cat to the point of transmitting rabies, the cat usually dies from the attack. But such attacks are rare, because raccoons and cats usually learn to co-exist because it's mutually beneficial. Cat transmission of rabies to other cats is rare.   

Is it too late to get a second vet opinion with regard to your indoor cats? Can you hold off on reporting them  to the Dept of health?  They may want to take your cats and quarantine them for several months.  If the cats are not showing any symptoms of illness, and have not suffered any injury wounds from the sick cat, perhaps you can take them for a vet exam and get their vaccination updated. The Dept of Health will not automatically euthanize them, no need to fear about that. I hope your vet can give you guidance.

I had a scare a half dozen years ago when I awoke one night and one of my cats had a baby bat in his mouth. He was overdue for his rabies shot by a few months and I was scared about him getting rabies. I took him to the vet for an exam and he got his vaccination and he was fine. Since then, I make sure they are up-to-date on their rabies shot. There are still vet clinics that give the 3 year shot, and also the Humane Society gives the 3 year shot, which might be helpful to you for the future.   

I’m so sorry you are going  thru this. Prayers sent your way.  

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They probably just wanted to rule out rabies because the poor cat had neurological symptoms.  If he was hit by a car and had any kind of head injury, that wouldn't be at all unusual.  Rabies does not usually come on that fast, from perfectly fine to lying on the ground unable to use his back legs and panting and crying.  I've seen a raccoon with end-stage rabies here and he acted drunk, not in pain, but going around in circles, out in the daylight, not afraid of humans or dogs.  Rabies doesn't just flatten them.  I think he was hit by a car.  How sad that he had to suffer like that, I'm really sorry.  We can't keep our ferals safe but we still love them and don't want them to suffer.  I did a happy dance today when the older bobtailed tuxedo showed up looking for food.  He had been gone 2 weeks and I was beginning to think something bad had happened to him, like Grey Boy, because this guy never missed a meal since I started feeding him.  He is very thin now but he was in good shape to begin with, so he isn't sick looking, just like he had been playing Survivor for awhile and dropped all his extra weight.  His eyes are bright and he isn't acting like anything hurts him, and he dove into the bowl of wet food I gave him.  Maybe he was just courting somewhere else in the neighborhood.  It's about the time the young mother cats who had babies 6 weeks ago will be coming into heat again, so maybe that's where he was.  I'm glad to see him again anyhow. 

I agree with the others also about the one-year vaccine being good for three years.  My vet even told me so.  The first rabies vaccine cannot be a three year, but after that you can get three-year vaccines if you choose.  The mobile vet won't give a 3-year vaccine if the current rabies vaccine is expired, but my regular vet will, as long as there's a record of the previous vaccine.  I have some that are overdue also, so I'm going to check my paperwork too.  None of the vets I normally go to use the new non-adjuvant 3-year vaccine but I'm going to look into it and see if I can buy my own and take it to the vet (for rabies vaccine, the law requires a vet administer it if you want a tag.) 

http://www.ahna.net/blog/safer-three-year-vaccine-now-available-cats

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably take all the cats I could catch in for a rabies booster right now, just so that's on record. If he tests positive they may want the cats quarantined; for the housecats usually they just ask that you keep them inside and don't let guests near them. For the ferals they may recommend euthanasia because quarantine would be too hard :/. But, as mentioned several times, it's very unlikely that he had rabies, the circumstances just don't add up.

There's no way to test you for exposure so the choices are to just get the rabies vaccine right now, or wait until the results come back. I'm not sure if your insurance will cover a vaccine without a confirmed exposure, so make sure you get that hammered out.

I hope the results come back soon so you can stop worrying! Nothing worse than that sick feeling of not knowing.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe there are tests to see if a person has rabies that involve taking samples of neck skin, saliva, and spinal fluid. It might be easier to get the vaccination series. This is usually done in the case of someone who’s been bitten from an animal who might be rabid—I’m not sure about casual contact. It’s best to go to an urgent care center and speak with a doctor to see what’s recommended. It would be worth it for your peace of mind.

In some areas, authorities remove cats who may have been exposed from the owner’s home for quarantine, and in other areas, owners are allowed to keep the cats quarantined inside the home. In the case of my cat who had the bat in his mouth, the vet did not suggest any quarantine, just that I keep an eye on him for the next few months. It was nerve racking because when I got the bat outside my house,  he flew away, so I was not able to get him tested. Luckily you will have a definitive answer in a few weeks.

I know it’s difficult, but try not to panic. If your kitty who passed had attacked any of your other cats, you would have known about it and seen the injuries and heard the fights. I should also mention that cats with end stage Feline AIDS can develop neurological problems and paralysis, which is not contagious to people.  Please don’t stop your good work with the TNR. Alley Cats has an helpful article with information on this subject.

http://www.alleycat.org/Page.aspx?pid=686

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi...so today one of my ferals had to be put down. I am heartbroken and extremely sad. He was fine yesterday. Then this morning he didnt come to eat and I found him laying in the neighbors yard panting and crying. It seemed like he couldn't move his back legs. I thought he got hit by a car or something. So I trapped him and brought him to the vet and the Dr said he might have rabies by the way he was acting.

He was at that point twitching and seemed to have clear neorlogical damage.

They put him down humanly and are going to send him out to be tested but won't get results back for weeks.

Now I am not only upset about the death but worried all the cats have it including my indoor cats and myself! He scratched me a few weeks ago. The outdoor cats all play bite and one of mine goes outside and has contact with them and play bites and then plays with the rest indoor. He bites me too sometimes playfully.

I dont know if I should be bleaching their shelters out cleaning everything or leaving it alone so I minimize my contact.

He was vaccinated for rabies end of February of last year...so a year and a couple months ago. The rest were vaccinated around the same time. Could he of had it before being vaccinated and it was dormit till now.

So many questions. Has anyone dealt with this. I am at a loss, feeling like I should of never of done any of this TNR. I am totally freaked out for me and all the cats.
You need to call your regular doctor and put them in contact with the veterinarian. I would also advise you to keep your indoor/outdoor cat inside and to have their vaccination information handy. If the test comes back positive you will need them.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I believe there are tests to see if a person has rabies that involve taking samples of neck skin, saliva, and spinal fluid. It might be easier to get the vaccination series. This is usually done in the case of someone who’s been bitten from an animal who might be rabid—I’m not sure about casual contact. It’s best to go to an urgent care center and speak with a doctor to see what’s recommended. It would be worth it for your peace of mind.

In some areas, authorities remove cats who may have been exposed from the owner’s home for quarantine, and in other areas, owners are allowed to keep the cats quarantined inside the home. In the case of my cat who had the bat in his mouth, the vet did not suggest any quarantine, just that I keep an eye on him for the next few months. It was nerve racking because when I got the bat outside my house,  he flew away, so I was not able to get him tested. Luckily you will have a definitive answer in a few weeks.

I know it’s difficult, but try not to panic. If your kitty who passed had attacked any of your other cats, you would have known about it and seen the injuries and heard the fights. I should also mention that cats with end stage Feline AIDS can develop neurological problems and paralysis, which is not contagious to people.  Please don’t stop your good work with the TNR. Alley Cats has an helpful article with information on this subject.

http://www.alleycat.org/Page.aspx?pid=686
Usually if the cat has a current vaccination it will be in home. No proof you may have to cage in home or surrender them to AC for the duration of the quarantine.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably take all the cats I could catch in for a rabies booster right now, just so that's on record. If he tests positive they may want the cats quarantined; for the housecats usually they just ask that you keep them inside and don't let guests near them. For the ferals they may recommend euthanasia because quarantine would be too hard :/. But, as mentioned several times, it's very unlikely that he had rabies, the circumstances just don't add up.

There's no way to test you for exposure so the choices are to just get the rabies vaccine right now, or wait until the results come back. I'm not sure if your insurance will cover a vaccine without a confirmed exposure, so make sure you get that hammered out.

I hope the results come back soon so you can stop worrying! Nothing worse than that sick feeling of not knowing.
The vaccine may be covered by the Board of health.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vaccine may be covered by the Board of health.
Only if the cat tests positive, I think. Otherwise it's considered elective. Some rescuers do get the preventive vaccine, they say it's about $500 though, and most insurance won't cover elective stuff.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Only if the cat tests positive, I think. Otherwise it's considered elective. Some rescuers do get the preventive vaccine, they say it's about $500 though, and most insurance won't cover elective stuff.
While the actual risk is low the stakes are high. I'd probably opt for the shots. Which are not as barbaric as the old ones.

I am amazed that the vet sent off a cat to test and the other feral have not been captured and removed.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if the cat has a current vaccination it will be in home. No proof you may have to cage in home or surrender them to AC for the duration of the quarantine.

If I understand the OP correctly, the cats may all be a few months overdue for their annual rabies vaccination since they were vaccinated around February last year. That is part of the concern. Since the outdoor only cats are showing no symptoms, and rabies among cats is so very rare, it's premature to trap them and surrender them, which could be an unnecessary death sentence for them.  

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have been on the phone all day. I have talked to the CDC and animal care control.

It sounds like animal care control is less concerned then the vet. They said they havnt seen rabies in a cat in a long time. I also talked to someone who does a ton of TNR work and she spoke with some people and they also said its super rare and in their whole time doing TNR they have never seen a case. This is New York City so there is a ton of TNR work being done. I got two different answers from animal care control....guees it depends on who you talk to. One said they don't euthanize or quarantine unless animals are exhibiting behavior another said they quarantine not euthanize. If any were exhibiting signs im sure they would come put down but no one seemed to be nervous enough to even tell me to watch all of them.

Animal Care control did get the brain today and I should know soon. I am on pins and needles till then. Another one of the ferels is not showing up to dinner tonight and it has me in a panic. I last saw her at 1 this afternoon and she was totally fine I can't imagine rabies set in that fast. ..but after all this I am in panic mode and hope she is ok.

As far as me CDC said wait till they get the test results for any shots. I will probably call tomorrow to follow up. I don't think i can wait to know. This has really got me in a bad spot.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you made all of those calls, and that no one is suggesting at this point that your cats be euthanized or quarantined. When will you get the result of the cat’s autopsy? Hopefully it will be in a few days, not a few weeks.

I could tell you to try not to panic, but I was a worry wart for months after my one cat had his encounter with the bat, so I’d be a little hypocritical to suggest that staying calm is easy. Rest assured, though, that Animal Control and the Dept. of Health would have sent you for testing or shots if they thought there was any immediate concern for your health. Veterinarians and healthcare professionals in general are very cautious, and take steps to rule out any possible disease, no matter how rare or unlikely, for the concern of those involved and also because of liability issues.

Let us know how it goes.  

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to stay calm for sure its so hard. They said a few days not weeks. Ill probably call and start harassing tomorrow bc I cant take this.

The mother still isnt showing up which is upsetting bc she is usually around by now. The last one out there is crying and looking around. I am convinced she went somewhere to die. I hope its not true but not like her to not be aroud at this time.

I cant do anymore at the moment I just have to let that cat cry unfortunately and wait for her to show and wait for the results. Her not showing up is feeding all my fears that its true. Like I said I saw her last at 1 cant imagine rabies coming on so quick. I dont see her or hear her anywhere. Im so emotionally and physically drained.

This has really been an unimaginable ordeal.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats sometimes take off for a few days or longer—mine did. Some of them have other “homes,” people who feed them with other cat buddies nearby, maybe even as close as a block away from you. Don’t read the worst possible scenario into a cat missing for a day. It’s also been my experience that when a feral is injured or ill, he stays close to his primary caregiver and home. Even if he goes somewhere private to die, he is very close by. The cats may also be upset that one of their buddies is gone—they sense when one of them has passed, and they also sense our grief. So some of them may be a bit “off” in their behavior, and it doesn’t mean they are ill. I hope you can find some peace during the next few days while you’re awaiting the result of the autopsy.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have been on the phone all day. I have talked to the CDC and animal care control.

It sounds like animal care control is less concerned then the vet. They said they havnt seen rabies in a cat in a long time. I also talked to someone who does a ton of TNR work and she spoke with some people and they also said its super rare and in their whole time doing TNR they have never seen a case. This is New York City so there is a ton of TNR work being done. I got two different answers from animal care control....guees it depends on who you talk to. One said they don't euthanize or quarantine unless animals are exhibiting behavior another said they quarantine not euthanize. If any were exhibiting signs im sure they would come put down but no one seemed to be nervous enough to even tell me to watch all of them.

Animal Care control did get the brain today and I should know soon. I am on pins and needles till then. Another one of the ferels is not showing up to dinner tonight and it has me in a panic. I last saw her at 1 this afternoon and she was totally fine I can't imagine rabies set in that fast. ..but after all this I am in panic mode and hope she is ok.

As far as me CDC said wait till they get the test results for any shots. I will probably call tomorrow to follow up. I don't think i can wait to know. This has really got me in a bad spot.
The veterinarian is doing his due diligence. One to warn you and to test the cat in question. I have no idea if there was a tox screen but poisoning feral cats. on purpose on by accident in the use of rodentcides is fairly common. Sad but true.

The vaccines may be overdue but still effective.

It does happen. About 10 years ago a friend who is in rescue had her partner bring home kittens. All of which turned out to have rabies. Lucky that all their other pets were separate and had current vac. Lets hope you get the results soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's any chance that the vaccine failed in more than one cat. One cat---maybe. More than one, in the same colony---basically impossible.

I hope they get those results super quick!