Rabies Vaccine

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by not vaccinate once or twice for indoor cats? Do you say that because they can't get rabies if they don't go out?
There is new evidence to show that the rabies vaccine will last for up to 10 years for dogs. It’s not such a stretch to presume the same for cats. My vet works hard to inform herself about research. She doesn’t recommend the vaccine at all for indoors only cats that have low risk of ever contacting the outside world, but she recognizes that the law doesn’t agree with her so she has to administer it. She definitely thinks the yearly vaccine is overkill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is new evidence to show that the rabies vaccine will last for up to 10 years for dogs. It’s not such a stretch to presume the same for cats. My vet works hard to inform herself about research. She doesn’t recommend the vaccine at all for indoors only cats that have low risk of ever contacting the outside world, but she recognizes that the law doesn’t agree with her so she has to administer it. She definitely thinks the yearly vaccine is overkill.
From what I’ve researched 1 per year is overkill, way overkill!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The effects Lacy experienced were life threatening to say the least. The Merial Pureavax-3 rabies vaccine produced by Boehringer Ingelheim was used on her before with no ill effects. I can only conclude that this batch of vaccine was defective, and I hold Merial responsible for perhaps killing a member of our family. To see her fall over is very painful.

I can tell you that without a doubt Lacy, if she survives, will never get another vaccination nor see a vet unless she is sick. No more yearly checkup for hundreds of dollars. Cats tell you when they’re sick; we don’t need a vet to tell us the same.

There is a vet who was removed as a member of the AVMA because he held the belief that a single rabies vacation in cats would last much longer than the drug manufacturer stated. Let’s see, the drug company lobbies the government, the government makes the law, and more and more regulation cover our pets. OK, NOW I got it.