Rabies Vaccine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's a bit better, hopefully she's working the crap out of her system.
You're syringing right? I'd keep it up if she's responding.
Yes syringing about 3 time a day + water in her food.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has vaccine reactions. We now titre test and his vaccine is waived ( however I’m in Aus where there is no rabies so this might not be the case for that). His reaction lasted a few days ( in which he did not really move at all) so hopefully your little cat will start to improve!

Little confused about your vets reaction - if they don’t think it is a vaccine , what do they think it is? Are they going to try and diagnose further? If it is possibly something else shouldn’t they try and pinpoint it and treat it?
I called the vet and left my number but she did not return my call. We had 3 Doctors it wasn't the rabies vaccine, but it had to be. Funny each one of the vets was supporting the other, strange?

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, It was my hope Lacy would be better by now, but in fact she is worse. She can't take 3 or 4 steps without tilting or falling down. I'm angry that there is a vaccine that did this to Lacy and there's nothing I can do about it. She now doesn't want to eat or drink. It is my fear, we may have to put her down.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, emergency. Now.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just got back from the emergency vet, and they want to do a brain scan for $3000 to what end? If I can save her for any price I would. I'm hoping for a change.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they give her sub-q fluids? I was wondering if that would help flush the toxins out of her body?
Sending good vibes for your poor girl. I hope she pulls through.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the good wishes.
No Sub-Q They did an IV drip for 20 hours
1. IV drip (best)
2 Sub-Q (2nd best)
3. Forced wateh by mouth (3rd best)

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning, she has a little broth and a touch of food, but we still have to force water. She can't walk a straight line and is falling over less then yesterday. There is a chance.

We will never again subject our indoor cats to any rabies vaccine. This is, and has been a most traumatic experience in both time worry and money.
All the experts say “it’s the law”, “its safe” “you must do it”. But.. when you lose a pet like Lacy who is as much as our family as anyone, your paradigm changes.

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry you are going through this.

If your vet doesn't know the extensive research that's shown that there is a high risk of bad reactions to the 3-year rabies vaccine, you need a new vet. It's very well-known, and none of the vets I've been to will even give the 3-year vaccine anymore.

I would urge you to still do 1-year rabies vaccines on future/other pets - some cats will still stop eating for a little bit after the vaccine, but if they take a medication with the vaccine (can't remember the name of it just now) that can prevent the reaction. (My tortie girl has to do this.)

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kindness. There has been a few vets that were expelled from the association for insisting the rabies vaccine lasts for over 10 years, and saying the drug companies are pushing this for the money. I’m not a member of the conspiracy group, but I must say it’s got me thinking.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kindness. There has been a few vets that were expelled from the association for insisting the rabies vaccine lasts for over 10 years, and saying the drug companies are pushing this for the money. I’m not a member of the conspiracy group, but I must say it’s got me thinking.
I pray for your kitty.
I wonder if you have any holistic or integrative vets close to you? As a last resort you might try one. They are more likely to believe that it’s a vaccine reaction and might be able to treat accordingly. My vet is integrative and is very critical of over vaccination of animals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 3-year vaccine and the 1-year vaccine are exactly the same, and repeating it every year isn't better!

However, there is a non-adjuvanted vaccine that may cause fewer reactions; it's Merial Purevax. You have to ask for it specifically. Last I heard they were seeking approval for 3-year licensing, but I'm not sure if that's been approved or not. So it may be the "1-year vaccine" your vet offers. But you have to ask to make sure.

Never ever let your vet vaccinate an animal that is known to be sick, either acutely or chronically. The vaccine will not give the proper protection anyway, and the immune reaction may cause trouble. Of course if you're not aware of any illnesses, then you can't prevent it :/.

It is always a balancing act between the risk of the disease and the risk of a vaccine reaction, but for healthy animals the vaccine is safer than the disease.

Last edited:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with saladflambe saladflambe that you should consider changing vets. Also that rabies vaccine a good idea. Rabies is a terrible disease, you don’t want any of your animals to be susceptible. If you don’t want to keep re-vaccinating and your Health Department insists on it, you can test your cat for immunity by doing blood titers for antibodies to rabies. (This is more expensive than the vaccine, I’m pretty sure).

The most important thing is finding a vet you trust and going with what he/she says. The vet should be your partner in taking care of your animals and should not dismiss your concerns.

For now I would just make sure she’s eating. Good luck and let us know how she’s doing.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, right now she is only sipping broth, but we just gave her Cerenia, and hope it will increase her appetite.
The company that made the vaccine is named Merial Pureay and they insist she could not been affected so by their vaccine. Well it just couldn’t be anything else. There are many other reports of cats being affected in the same manor and in exactly the same way as Lacy.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, right now she is only sipping broth, but we just gave her Cerenia, and hope it will increase her appetite.
The company that made the vaccine is named Merial Pureay and they insist she could not been affected so by their vaccine. Well it just couldn’t be anything else. There are many other reports of cats being affected in the same manor and in exactly the same way as Lacy.
This is why I am so irritated with these companies. They insist she could not have been affected? How the hell do they know?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Merial Purevax is supposed to be the safest vaccine.

gregfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Merial Purevax is supposed to be the safest vaccine.
That is what THEY say. There is no doubt in my mind that the cause of my cats trauma was the Merial Pureay vaccine. Three doctors say it couldn’t be, but doctors can be wrong. The drug has offered me $500 without me asking. Why would they do that if they didn’t know that there was a good chance that their drug caused the problem?