Questions about my kittens

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have 6 weeks old kitten who started having diarrhea from solid stool
I thought she might have contracted worm so I bought a troy worming syrup for kittens but I just need a clarification as to how to interpret the instruction
It says 1ml per kg of body weight given for two consecutive days,
does this mean I give 0.5ml on day one and 0.5ml on day two for 500g kitten?
Also it comes in 50ml bottle with a dropper, I don't know how many ml is in each drop. On the internet it says typical dropper has 20 drops per ml so 0.5ml is equivalent of 10 drops
Am I right?
16441868325328018717475683663553.jpg
20220207_093541.jpg

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What does this Troy contains? Pyrantel poamate? If so, it should be OK. Its supposed to take round worms.
If they were ever flea infested, they may also need somethig on tapeworms. Or an all round dewormer, alike Milbomax.

Yes, it will be 0,5 ml per your kitten.

This with drops I dont know for, but you count seems OK. But let me say so. A teaspoon has 3-5ml. If this 10 drops is filling up the spoon, its way too much...

There IS some leeway. So the exact dosage isnt that critical, as long you dont overdo much.

Another note. Once well dewormed, its not sure they will need new dewormings in the future. Inside only cats typically doesnt need no more deworming. Recurring deworming is usual only for cats whom are allowed to go outside.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It says 1ml per kg of body weight given for two consecutive days,
does this mean I give 0.5ml on day one and 0.5ml on day two for 500g kitten?

Yes. A 500 g (0.5 kg) kitten would get 0.5 ml on day one and another 0.5 ml on day two.

Instead of the dropper, you can just use a syringe. You should be able to get a small 1 ml syringe from the Human pharmacy (may be free if you ask the pharmacist. Otherwise you can buy them) or from the pet store (sold as pet feeding syringes). Your vet may even give you a few syringes. A 3 ml syringe will work, too, if that's all you can get. Just measure to the 0.5 ml (1/2 ml) line marking on the syringe. I would not try to estimate 0.5 ml with a dropper.

It looks like this product only treats roundworms? Kittens can have other types of worms such as tapeworms. A broad spectrum dewormer would be better. Can you take the kitten to the vet? Kittens need their first shots by 8 weeks old or so and many vets also give a dewormer.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are you feeding the kitten? What color is the diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding the kitten? What color is the diarrhea?
It was dark brown and feeding them kitten kibbles (which has protein 32%) which they voluntarily took up at week 5. But reason why I think is worms is because since one of kittens started having diarrhea other kittens started having one as well. It was very runny consistency whereas before all their stool were fully solid. I administered 0.6ml to each kittens last night and will do same tonight (they all weight 600g)
Luckily it was easy to give them accurate dosage because there was increments on the dropper
20220208_073707.jpg

I checked stool of one of them after medication and it was more solid than when she hadn't had medication so I think it is round worm

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If this does not solve it let us know!

Also, worming must be repeated in 10-14 days to cover the full life cycle of the worms.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this does not solve it let us know!

Also, worming must be repeated in 10-14 days to cover the full life cycle of the worms.
I checked their stool and it was as solid as before so I think it is solved :)
Thanks everyone for the support

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 10 week old kitten has been throwing up and pooping watery stool for 3 days straight
She's been healthy and had firm stool before that but somehow she got like this
I haven't changed her food but I may have overwormed her with syrup
I wormed her at 6 week and 8weeks and then because worm still seemed present I wormed again on 9 weeks and this week I put on flea treatment with all worming action so she's been wormed alot
I think its getting worse. She's playing and seem to eat fine but I don't know what's wrong with her
This is picture of her throw up and her stool is equally watery ( it is total liquid )
20220305_140701.jpg

What do you think might be wrong with her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lay off the worming and flea treatment. I think you may be over-doing it. It can definitely upset her system. She’s young yet and it’s clearly too much.

What worming meds are you using and what flea meds are you using? Depending on what you are using the particular brand may also be causing a problem.

Since she’s been vomiting and having loose stools for 3 days, mix some unflavored pedialyte into her wet food to restore the electrolytes lost through the diarrhea and vomiting.

Also, boil a chicken breast with just salt added to the water, and shred this into tiny pieces to see if she will eat it. Also boil rice in the chicken stock and add that to the chicken. This may help.

Also, adding probiotic powder or a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin to her wet food may also help.

Mostly though, stop worming and flea treatments. I think that is causing this.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used advocate fleas and worm topping just yesterday and before that I gave her worming syrup from troy which prevents roundworm only
She accidently licked some fleas topping yesterday but so did other kittens but their stool wasn't watery and they didnt vomit either
But this kitten's been vomiting and having completely liquidy greyish stool since the day before
She's same kitten who had diarrhoea when she was judt on mother's milk
Maybe her digestive system is weak?
I tried giving her boiled chicken with rice but she didn't eat much
I almost had to force feed small pieces with my hand
She hasn't eaten much since morning and I think she's feeling weaker and weaker as time goes by
She isn't even playing much and sleeps alot now
Do you think the problem is serious?
Her ear is also very cold

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, whatever other advices, she needs more electrolytes / salts. Unflavored pedialyte is the easiest and prob the best way to assure this. But if you dont have this at hand, even sprinkle common kitchen salt will be a good beginning....

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, whatever other advices, she needs more electrolytes / salts. Unflavored pedialyte is the easiest and prob the best way to assure this. But if you dont have this at hand, even sprinkle common kitchen salt will be a good beginning....
she's not eating anything or drinking either
She just vomited again and it was foamy water with bit of yellow color
Her body warmed up a little but still I think her condition got worse

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it might be mothers milk? Because she threw up after nursing from her
Other kittens are fine but just her

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only find hydralyte here not pedialyte
Are they same thing? Is hydralyte also safe to give to cats and kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, same thing. Try syringing it.

She needs a vet and sub-q fluids ASAP.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, use syringe; ie do a sort of mild forcefeeding. Its wise to let the vet fluid her up (he will give injections under the skin with fluids). After the vet has fluided her up, it will be easier for you to continue.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, use syringe; ie do a sort of mild forcefeeding. Its wise to let the vet fluid her up (he will give injections under the skin with fluids). After the vet has fluided her up, it will be easier for you to continue.
She is eating and playing again but still has watery grey stool and now other kitten is vomiting and having bloody diarrhoea
Do you think they still have worm?
Did I make them worm intolerant?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is eating and playing again but still has watery grey stool and now other kitten is vomiting and having bloody diarrhoea
Do you think they still have worm?
Did I make them worm intolerant?
Continue with the salt-solution you have for all of them with diarrhea. If you can get real pedialyte is good; because it also contains some glucose sugar. Or blend in a drop of white caro syrup to this salt solution you have.

Nay, YOU hadnt make them tolerant for the worms... Even if its possible this strain of worms happens to be tolerant to this particular of dewormer.

I think its wise to visit a vet for a check up, what is really going on. Most important with these two sick, but its probable the others will catch this too. It may be some parasite. If so, they will need a anti-parasite medicine.

OR the vet will try out with another dewormer...