Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 27, 2019

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Forty minutes of snow blowing, I am done and the driveway is starting to melt. I can see the main road a few blocks away has traffic moving normally so roads look to be good. By noon most people will be out doing their usual pre Thanksgiving stuff. One good thing about snowstorms and Minnesota, we deal with it and get on pretty quickly.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had turkey sandwiches for months, and I'm sick of it, so I'm going to have a steak tomorrow with twice baked potatoes and fresh asparagus, and oh, a jello salad, which I haven't had in years. Today, I'm going to run by the library to pick up A Warning and the local grocery for the baking potatoes. I'd get a pumpkin pie, but theirs are too expensive.

We have another chain of groceries where someone gets on the loudspeaker about every 15 minutes and says, "Gobble, gobble." Nothing else, just gobble, gobble. I guess that's supposed to be subliminal advertising.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 - It sounds like you're going to have a crowd for Thanksgiving. How many are you expecting?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have another chain of groceries where someone gets on the loudspeaker about every 15 minutes and says, "Gobble, gobble." Nothing else, just gobble, gobble. I guess that's supposed to be subliminal advertising.
Jewel? Mine did that when I put in a dollar for the food pantry.

I'm enjoying my day off. I made this fancy pesto, white cheddar, green bean grilled cheese for lunch with a salad.
1127191400.jpg

I'm going to go pick up a prescription, and figure out some insurance stuff. And maybe have a glass of wine while I watch Survivor tonight. My mom's cooking tomorrow, so no prep work here!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I taught dance classes last night (5 classes overall) and it's parent observation week, so all the parents were there in seats watching their kids in the studio. I'm happy to say everything went well and normal, but goodness I am a bit extra tired today :lol: especially mentally! Nothing like extra eyes on you as the dance teacher and wanting to give the best quality impression possible. It's a good thing to have at our dance school to offer this once a year but glad it is over with!

Sooo today I just a couple of light errands and giving myself a rest at home with some tea :cloud9: Cold rainy day so very fitting.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I told Robert we had a lot of cooking to do today, so we needed to get busy early. It's now after 3 p.m. and he's in the bedroom, programming the night's TV. So, we still have to peel 8 pounds of shrimp, cook them, make the shrimp remoulade and shrimp cocktails, bake the buried cherry cookies, and make the pistachio ambrosia. Oh, and figure out what we're going to eat tonight. The remoulade has to sit 24 hours for the flavors to marry, so it will be our Thanksgiving dinner.

The grocery store had whole, live lobster at a fantastic price. I adore lobster, so we got some of those. The store even steamed them. I ate lobster with drawn butter util my eyes glazed over and my jaw was slack. There's just enough left over for one lobster roll each.

Once we're done today, we're set for tomorrow, so all there will be to do is eat, watch TV, and nap. Mostly eat and nap.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We celebrate "Thankstaking" at our house. I had a Choctaw grandma who always called it that. It is essentially Thanksgiving held on a day other than Thanksgiving with chicken instead of turkey punctuated by comments about how Native Americans were (are) treated. The highlighted topics are the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, the Choctaw Trail of Tears, how we should never have helped Andrew Jackson, how we ought to have stuck together instead of having a civil war in the tribe because of the French and the British, the Treaty of Doak’s Stand, and how we helped the Irish during the Potato Famine.

It was a weird tradition for my husband to get used to because he is primarily Scottish in his ethnic background, but he loves history, so it works out.

We are going to my mother-in-law's tomorrow. I am making a couple of pies and a vegetable dish to take. I may make some bread, too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jewel? Mine did that when I put in a dollar for the food pantry.
Yes, it's Jewel, gobble, gobble. Last week it wasn't too bad, but the week before that it drove me crazy and I thought about complaining to the manager.

We celebrate "Thankstaking" at our house. I had a Choctaw grandma who always called it that. It is essentially Thanksgiving held on a day other than Thanksgiving with chicken instead of turkey punctuated by comments about how Native Americans were (are) treated. The highlighted topics are the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, . . .
Your grandma probably wouldn't like it, but my grandfather was a lawyer and was hired by the Choctaws in Indian Territory to represent them. My father was born there in 1906 while it was still Indian Territory. Grandpa must have tried to speak to them in their own language because he had a Choctaw dictionary, which is now mine.

And your grandma really wouldn't like it that my great grandparents got their first land as a result of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek.

But still, I've always felt a great affinity for the Choctaws.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And your grandma really wouldn't like it that my great grandparents got their first land as a result of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek.
No, I cannot imagine she would considering the leaders had two options: sign and leave or not sign and be killed. My grandma's great-great (?)-grandparents initially stayed but the rest of the family were pushed west. Her parents eventually ended up in West Virginia. That is where she met my off-the-boat Irish grandpa.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I mixed up the brine and plunked the turkey dolwn in it and got my pies and cheesecake made,and the dressing too.Day before,I made the Watergate salad and cranberry-orange relish.Today I roasted my turkey,let it rest several hours and took it all apart and ackaged up.Then tomorrow all I have to do is drizzle it with some broth and pop it in a slow oven with the dressing,cook and mash potatoes with the cauliflower,cook lima beans,get the brussel sprouts done and the grape salad and that's it.Rest of today I did laundry,vacuumed,dusted,mopp;ed and the house is ready and all the kids have nice clean blankies.I'm beat!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah you’re right about that darn snow, I have to shovel it as we don’t have a snow blower 😐
A guy who has a snowblower lives just down the street from us; he was out front cleaning off our driveway and sidewalk as soon as the snow stopped yesterday.

Note: We have the best neighbors in the world!!! :heartshape:💗

Margret