Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lord, what a day, and another one coming tomorrow! This question is pretty much a phone-in, but I'm just not capable of clever questions at this point.

SO, what are you up to today? I'm thinking that a lot of our US members are either neck-deep in prep work, or hauling bags to cars to head for a relative's house for the holiday...what are you doing today?

For me, it's prep day. And my idiot landlady has thrown a wrench in the works. She has scheduled the exterminators to come TODAY, starting at NINE IN THE MORNING! Now, who does this the day before Thanksgiving? However, once they leave I will be baking three pies, setting slices of bread out to get stale for stuffing, baking a big pan of cornbread and crumbling THAT to get stale for said stuffing (actually dressing, I bake it on the side), cooking the green beans so that they are ready to go in the casserole on Thursday, and making sure the turkey is thawed. If not, I'll finish thawing it in cold water, then pop it back in the fridge for the night. Clean the kitchen. Fall on the floor. Actually, the worst part is the pies. My little apartment kitchen has almost NO counter space at all, so I kinda have to do one pie at a time. I'm doing a pumpkin, a pecan, and a key lime. OH...and I have to get the corn off the cob for creaming on Thursday.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , you're giving me flashbacks to my youth, when mothers got up before dawn to put the turkey in the oven, spent the entire day either cooking or cleaning up, and sat at the dining room table right next to the door into the kitchen so they could leap up and get another serving of something for the rest of the family!

I bought a bag of boned, skinless chicken thighs at Trader Joe's yesterday, which have been thawing in the fridge ever since. They'll go into the Crockpot first thing Thursday morning, and while they're cooking I'll be baking a potato for myself. This will be enough to fill up both Roger and myself (the baked potato is a special treat, which I can only have because I have appropriate drugs to handle the carbs - Roger, OTOH, can't handle the drugs for other reasons so he'll be skipping that). And we have plenty of other food in the house for our other meals Thursday.

As for Wednesday - house cleaning, cat feeding and fondling, and mostly staying inside, out of the cold (we got 8 inches of snow Monday night/Tuesday morning, and the temperatures are really cold out). And I'll probably do some more work on this afghan I'm crocheting; I got through three rows on Tuesday.

Margret

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m going to be making sure the turkey is thawed. I didn’t plan on having turkey but a friend brought me a small one. I guess that means I’ll be preparing all the sides to go with it too. Lol Creamed corn is one of my sides too Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I love it! No desserts though. I’m not much on that because I fill up on turkey! Lol Smoked turkey. Ummmm. I’m also in the middle of some business so it should be busy tomorrow and Thursday will be calmer. I will be checking on others Thursday. The kitties will be feasting when I feast. Lol Friday should be leftovers! I love Turkey sandwiches. Until recently I would have been cooking for and waiting on the family at holiday meals but since they have moved, it’s going to be a much simpler meal.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For me here, it is just another ordinary working day in Doha. I get up, feed the cats, scoop poop and pee from the litter boxes, shower, drag my feet to work, then go home and be with my cats after 5. There is no ThanksGiving or Christmas or New Year celebrations for me here.

I miss the long Christmas Season in my country, which officially starts in September. I miss the Christmas songs playing everywhere, the Christmas adornments outside of homes and of buildings, the panic shoppers buying gifts, those flickering lights at night coming from lanterns everywhere, the Christmas carols outside our door. I miss just being with my family especially during these times of the year. It has been 14 years since I last had my holiday season back home. :(

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No prep for me as I'm in the UK. Hope all you guys get what you need to do sorted so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving. For me today it's housework and playing nurse maid to my poorly hubby it's nothing serious he's under the weather he's been off work and resting up. Hopefully he'll be back to work soon and I don't catch his man flu ;)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I had planned a cleanup before having a guest for a simple turkey dinner on Thursday. But I might just head down to visit Mamanyt and see if I can scarf some of the incredible sounding food! :p J/K As delicious as it sounds, even that wouldn't get me on the road on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving! Probably. ;)

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My helper won' be here after today till Monday so laundry, etc. I'm going to order Asian food tonight for my Thanksgiving dinner as I won't be going anywhere. They've always been open on TG but not this year. Choose movies to watch on TG day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No prep for me. I'm not doing anything tomorrow and am happy about it. It's just DD and me and she doesn't want anything special other than some ice cream that I got her. She said she'll make whatever for dinner. OK. I won't force the issue. She's not a fan of big meals.

I'll defrost a steak for the cats and me to share.They both adore steak. It's Sophie's favorite. A baked potato and some veggies to go with for just me. They have no interest in that. :lol:

I'm working today and later, DD and I will bring some stuff to the thrift store to donate. That's about it. I made the big meal for just 3 of us for many years and do not miss all that work at all. :headshake:

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO, what are you up to today? I'm thinking that a lot of our US members are either neck-deep in prep work, or hauling bags to cars to head for a relative's house for the holiday...what are you doing today?

I have a dentist appointment. Before that, I'll stop by the library to return a book and pick up one that is on hold for me. Later I really need to call the last three financial companies I have retirement accounts with and get those funds rolled over to a different company. I need all my money in one place, not several different places which is what happens when you have worked at several different places over the years.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I have Japanese class at 8.30 tomorrow morning so I'm currently trying to get my composition finished, give all my cats their dinner and daily meds and put a huge load of laundry away.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about cooking anything.

:runaround:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to work tomorrow and my husband has his 8 hour infusion of chemo today; so we’re not doing anything tomorrow. I’m in Bend Oregon and we’re going to have 8-12 inches of snow dumped by tomorrow so I’m looking forward to taking my kittens, Jemima and Lucca outside to see and experience their first snowfall! 🌨☃😆

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of snow plows woke me at 5:00 am and I could t get back to sleep. It is pretty much done snowing, my guess about eight inches worth, so some time this morning I will go out and run the snow blower. After that my plans for the day are to make a pretzel salad to bring to Thanksgiving, replace the insulation in the bathroom that was torn out by the electrician and maybe start a jigsaw puzzle.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
The sound of snow plows woke me at 5:00 am and I could t get back to sleep. It is pretty much done snowing, my guess about eight inches worth, so some time this morning I will go out and run the snow blower. After that my plans for the day are to make a pretzel salad to bring to Thanksgiving, replace the insulation in the bathroom that was torn out by the electrician and maybe start a jigsaw puzzle.
Yeah you’re right about that darn snow, I have to shovel it as we don’t have a snow blower 😐

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah you’re right about that darn snow, I have to shovel it as we don’t have a snow blower 😐
I have two. The big gas powered one and a twenty year old Toro electric one. The electric one is so light you can lift and carry it in one hand but it will handle up to eight inches of snow and will throw it five feet away. If I lived were it only occasionally snowed I would definitely get one of these.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went shopping 2 days in a row, so I will probably stay home for a while. I think we are supposed to get a big storm today, so we'll probably get snowed in again. I'll just stay home with the kitties and work around the house. Not making anything complicated tomorrow. Maybe some stuffing.