Question Of The Day. Wednesday, July 18, 2018

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Bek is feeling rotten today so she asked me to post the Question of the Day. "Of course" I said, and pulled up my computer to get to work. Instantly, Chula appeared at my side and began gently pawing my arm - one of her ways of getting attention.

The Question of the Day is: How do(es) your cat(s) let you know they want you to pay attention to them?

I'll go first.

Paul nuzzles me and hands me his paw until he gets what he wants. He's as subtle as a truck.

Chula has an entire repertoire of tricks. First, she just sits and stares at me. If that doesn't work, she sits up on her back legs and waves her front paws at me. If I'm still holding out, she jumps up beside me and starts touching my arm gently with her paw and her nose. If I'm still not cooperating, she pulls out the big guns and knocks a lamp over. By then, I'm talking to her and patting her but if she wants food or playtime rather than cuddles, she then runs to a box and jumps into it.

I do have one defense. When I really can't stop what I'm doing, I aim a camera at her. Chula is camera shy and never sticks around long after that.

What about you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nightfury - He pretty much just follows you around quietly. Once you look at him he visibly perks up and starts kneading. He will then jump onto a higher surface or the person if he really really wants attention. In rare occasions he will mew slightly if he feels really ignored.

Link - He yells at you. If he is extra needy he will find a toy to bring over, yelling around the toy as he carries it, then drop the toy near you once you pay attention.

Rocket - She stares at you. Occasionally she will chirp if you don't feel the stare and acknowledge her. If you are sitting she may come over and paw at your leg or just jump on your lap. When she jumps on the lap she will promptly fall to one side (and I do mean fall) and start settling in for a nap. If you reach down to pet her she will rub against your hand for pets, start at head, down the back to tail. If you don't get it she will move for you or nip at your hand to let you know where to go. She chirps before turning around for you to start at her head again. We call that the typewriter pet.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia headbutts my legs when she wants attention/pets/play. Occasionally she'll come up and meow at me, too, but mostly she knows she gets what she wants with headbutts.

Oh, and if she just wants compliments, she comes over and rolls on her back and curls her paws up to be extra cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Kieka Kieka the "typewriter pet" I love it! :lol:

It seems Link doesn't take any chances that you might not notice him! Nightfury, on the other hand, appears to be quite the gentleman. :catman:

MeganLLB MeganLLB Yikes! I'd jump to attention, too! :lol2: What a great photo. :camera:

Lari Lari I see Lelia has your number! Headbutts and fluffy bellies - who can resist them? :heartshape:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles will sit quietly next to my chair and tap me. It sounds completely sweet but she often goes for a spot on my side where I'm ticklish! :lol: If that doesn't get me moving she will go raid the kitchen counters. :rolleyes:

Mooch either tries to get in my lap or she sits and stares at me intently.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine vary between meowing incessantly, rubbing my ankles, tripping me, launching onto my head, sticking their butt holes in my face and pantsing me.
One will just march over, crawl up my arm or leg or chair or whatever and plant herself in my lap. She'll knock anything out of my lap without flinching.
She says subtlety is for the weak.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mika stares (please see icon picture), but its normally accompanied by trills or chirps. She's a huge talker so we have lots of conversations about what she wants, how she is, how her day went, etc. If I'm sitting or laying down she will just get right up in there, head butts, rolling over and acting as cute as possible to get pets.

On the off chance I am totally engrossed in something else (I can't ignore her, she's too cute!!), she will literally plop down on my face if I'm laying down. In the mornings, if she wants food, she'll come and try and pull the covers off of me real sweet and gentle like. Not even sarcasm, she is very dainty and cautious about trying to paw the comforter off. :lol:

Very much adore my little girl.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moo Shu just gets out her chemistry set and blows something up.

margd margd - Please tell @Mamanyt1953 that everyone on TCS hopes that she's feeling better very soon!

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine :flail: Moo Shu - Weapon of Mass Destruction. ;)

I'll let @Mamanyt1953 know (and thank you for supplying her user name, which I forgot to do). She will definitely appreciate your message.
:catman:
I was going to say, who is "Bek"? but now I know!

Please feel better, @Mamanyt1953!

-----

When Milly wants my attention, she stares at me intently. If that doesn't work, she nibbles on my instep.
:censored:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My very first cat, the incomparable tortie Sara, (this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and clumping cat litter had not been invented) used to sit quietly by my head in the morning and wait for me to wake up. If I didn’t surface quickly enough, she would reach out her paw and very gently touch my eyelid: “I know you’re in there.” She knew that open eyes meant hugs and snuggles. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very first cat, the incomparable tortie Sara, (this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and clumping cat litter had not been invented) used to sit quietly by my head in the morning and wait for me to wake up. If I didn’t surface quickly enough, she would reach out her paw and very gently touch my eyelid: “I know you’re in there.” She knew that open eyes meant hugs and snuggles. :)
My Pet Woolly Mammoth used to do the same thing. Except touching my eyelid usually ended up with me in an eye patch... =D

Also, how do cats know when you're faking being asleep?:headscratch: