Am I overreacting?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Still struggling with getting Twyla back to eating after this last vet visit. She turned up her nose at both wet and dry food yesterday evening, overnight and this morning. She ate baby food last night and a couple of Temptations purées this morning as well as about a quarter of a can of wet food with phos-bind added (not a low phos food). I gave her a couple of pieces of Hooper’s dry food as a test which she gobbled up (of course, because she is not allowed). I know she would eat probably eat a serving of that If I gave it to her but I’m not going down that road because the phosphorus level is way too high. She has had 2 doses of Mirataz 36 hours apart that haven’t done much and has had Cerenia two days in a row.

Prior to the vet visit she had an excellent appetite with a weekly “boost” from the Mirataz so this is not normal for her.I’m hoping she will get excited over the prescription food when it gets here since she loved the sample.

We are having severe weather today which likely isn’t helping. I am taking a work from home day though plan to run out to get more baby food and some Fortiflora as an appetite enhancer. I am praying this is just a bump in the road and not the start of a serious decline.

Her attitude is good and she’s being very snuggly with the weather.
Weather plays a significant role I'm sure- you in the States? Might I mention during an eclipse animals get very screwy! True

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weather plays a significant role I'm sure- you in the States? Might I mention during an eclipse animals get very screwy! True
It has been cloudy and rainy since yesterday and severe weather forecast for tomorrow. Yes, in southern US. Twyla always hides when it storms, so that can disrupt her routine. I was home sick today, except for a trip out to get chicken soup for me and things to entice Twyla. She has made baby steps today - ate maybe a tablespoon of dry food with Fortiflora and a bit of wet food. Still a ways to go to her normal intake but at least it’s a start.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been cloudy and rainy since yesterday and severe weather forecast for tomorrow. Yes, in southern US. Twyla always hides when it storms, so that can disrupt her routine. I was home sick today, except for a trip out to get chicken soup for me and things to entice Twyla. She has made baby steps today - ate maybe a tablespoon of dry food with Fortiflora and a bit of wet food. Still a ways to go to her normal intake but at least it’s a start.
Glad to hear she is making steps forward- I think between the Vet visit and bad weather her anxiety got the best of her ....I'm sorry you were sick but on the other hand your day off probably helped her to get back in the swing of things,sweet girl- prayers for Twyla❤

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is back to eating well. The Fortiflora topper did the trick! Such a relief!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Boy, I hate the picky eating days. I broke down and gave her some moderate phosphorus wet food with binder to get her jump started. It’s been a good couple of weeks though. She mostly likes her prescription dry but is very hit or miss on wet foods. She only gets a half a can at a time since she is a nibbles and she always turns away the second half, even if I sit it out to reach room temperature first.

Earlier this week she devoured half a can of prescription tuna pate, but hasn’t touched any of it since.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am chalking up the pickiness to my 4 month old tube of Mirataz. Started a new tube last night and she has been an eating machine today, her usual response to getting mirtzed.

However, this new tube is only about 2/3 full. I had to flatten about half the tube before anything came out. Usually the med comes out with hardly a squeeze with a new tube. This was the first tube I was able to get after the shortage and hope this isn’t going to be an ongoing issue. It’s not cheap!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am chalking up the pickiness to my 4 month old tube of Mirataz. Started a new tube last night and she has been an eating machine today, her usual response to getting mirtzed.

However, this new tube is only about 2/3 full. I had to flatten about half the tube before anything came out. Usually the med comes out with hardly a squeeze with a new tube. This was the first tube I was able to get after the shortage and hope this isn’t going to be an ongoing issue. It’s not cheap!
Are you able to give pills to your girl? I find those work better than the ointment. Where do you fill your prescription at? You can fill both the ointment and pill at Costco and I'm fairly certain they are less expensive there. You don't have to be a member to get prescriptions filled there. I haven't filled mine for awhile so I can't tell you the cost. But you can call the location near you and ask their pricing.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you able to give pills to your girl? I find those work better than the ointment. Where do you fill your prescription at? You can fill both the ointment and pill at Costco and I'm fairly certain they are less expensive there. You don't have to be a member to get prescriptions filled there. I haven't filled mine for awhile so I can't tell you the cost. But you can call the location near you and ask their pricing.
She already gets multiple meds orally twice daily, and an inhaler once daily, so I prefer the gel. The Mirataz is generally reliable and a tube lasts over 3 months on her current dosing schedule, so I don’t mind the cost, as long as I am getting a full amount. I was just surprised that the tube was obviously not completely filled.

I get my refills from my vet. It may be a little more expensive but is more convenient than Costco, and I can call them and get meds same day or the next, which is helpful when there are multiple meds that never run out at the same time! I do get her asthma meds from a Canadian pharmacy and save hundreds of dollars on that!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She already gets multiple meds orally twice daily, and an inhaler once daily, so I prefer the gel. The Mirataz is generally reliable and a tube lasts over 3 months on her current dosing schedule, so I don’t mind the cost, as long as I am getting a full amount. I was just surprised that the tube was obviously not completely filled.

I get my refills from my vet. It may be a little more expensive but is more convenient than Costco, and I can call them and get meds same day or the next, which is helpful when there are multiple meds that never run out at the same time! I do get her asthma meds from a Canadian pharmacy and save hundreds of dollars on that!
Ah ok. My cats get multiple pills daily too and it's so small that I just stick the pills in a gel cap and that way they're only taking "one" pill. I also get the inhaler from a Canadian pharmacy and it is SO MUCH cheaper. I am a little annoyed with our vet because they tried talking me out of a generic Cerenia prescription. They try to discourage "outside" pharmacy prescriptions because they refuse to deal with "outside pharmacies" and won't fax or take calls So I have to physically mail it in. But I found it to be $18 cheaper than the name brand through an online pharmacy. I'm fine with mailing it in myself because to me it's worth it since we pay so much for other prescriptions for two elderly cats. I need to save where and whenever I can to keep them going!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah ok. My cats get multiple pills daily too and it's so small that I just stick the pills in a gel cap and that way they're only taking "one" pill. I also get the inhaler from a Canadian pharmacy and it is SO MUCH cheaper. I am a little annoyed with our vet because they tried talking me out of a generic Cerenia prescription. They try to discourage "outside" pharmacy prescriptions because they refuse to deal with "outside pharmacies" and won't fax or take calls So I have to physically mail it in. But I found it to be $18 cheaper than the name brand through an online pharmacy. I'm fine with mailing it in myself because to me it's worth it since we pay so much for other prescriptions for two elderly cats. I need to save where and whenever I can to keep them going!
Gel caps are a life saver with multiple medications! My vet recently switched from regular Cerenia to the generic, which is a considerable savings, and they are the ones who recommended a Canadian pharmacy for the inhaler.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Food trials have been hit or miss and there hasn’t been anything she likes consistently. Her appetite overall seems decreased and she didn’t eat much at all today, which is really unusual for her. No nausea, vomiting or signs of discomfort, but walked away from all wet food meals after eating really well yesterday. Did enthusiastically eat some dry and her bite of flaked tuna after her inhaler.

She is on a very low dose of gabapentin - could that affect her appetite? Should I ask my vet for an appetite stimulant or try sprinkling Fortiflora on her food first (I’ve never tried that)?
Hi
My girl gets gabapentin, it has never affected her appetite. Even when she gets a higher dose to go to the vet. Call your vet just to be sure it is not. She probably just is not feeling well. You know how they hide things. Wishing you and Twyla the very best.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
How's Twyla doing ? Is she getting her appetite back and more into her routine again?

You know I'm sure your Vet told you that Gabapentin can cause a decreased appetite in some cats and yet an increased appetite in others- these are both reported side effects of the drug and still there are cats that don't experience any side effects at all - just like humans they are all different,just be sure to let your Vet know of any symptoms you notice after taking any medications especially if they persist..... Sometimes just a dosage adjustment can alleviate side effects,both common and unexpected

I do hope she's leveling out now,it's so hard to get it just right with cats and meds but it sounds like you have a great Vet thats easy to communicate with to work it all out❤🙏