Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 6, 2020

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear jeans every day that I get dressed, for the most part. (I am often in my pajama bottoms. I just do not care who sees me.) I have three pairs that fit me right and one pair for when I am doing a project. My husband washes them weekly in cold water and air dries them. The project pair gets washed on laundry day whenever I wear them.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear jeans to work and I work in wastewater treatment, so I can get splashed with some pretty gnarly stuff.

I usually wear jeans 2 to 3 times before washing them. I only have two pairs that fit anymore ( :paperbag: ) so I rotate them out.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
re: the washing stuff--again, as a former Levi's store worker--we had a hipster dude who swore by freezing his jeans. It was so annoying because he would tell people to do that and they were like, well I should trust him he works at Levi's. This dude was insufferable. Another commentator was correct--real jeans don't need to be washed nearly as often and then only in cold water. This is the premium, raw denim. When you buy them they feel like stiff boards (at least Levi's were like that) We always had one version in the guys section which was also the one style that we had xxlarge sizes of (because if you wash them, they will shrink at least a size).

The washing I believe just has to do with breaking down the fibers, as with any clothes. Also, if you've got jeans with actual indigo dye, the indigo will wash out more easily. I do dislike that most Levi's now are only like 70% cotton denim, the rest is the stretchy synthetic material. I definitely prefer stiffer denim as these "soft, form clinging" jeans show off all the little lumps and bumps. I like being structured and held in place LOL.

Also, I need rugged jeans that are still in style, you know? I work at a store for 1.5 years and even in that short time, I could see the styles changing to be less practical especially for women. It's so disappointing. I mean, a lot of women liked having "jeggings" as athleisure was just starting to take off, but ugh. The most glaring example of this was when Levi's came out with "commuter" jeans, the premise being wearing them to bike to work and wear at work. The guys' version had a reinforced crotch. The women's didn't...as if...the crotch area wouldn't wear out if women were riding bikes as per the whole idea of the pants? The men's version also had a special thing to hold your bike lock and it had a higher back so you don't show the world your skivvies. All things that are practical when commuting on a bike. The only thing the women's version kept were the reflective strips on the cuffs (seen when you rolled them up). I loved the fit of those, but I was so, so, so disappointed! Especially because the women's were more expensive!!!!! ???? Women do stuff, too!! lol
/sorry for derailing my own post, I have a lot of feelings about denim hahaha

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
re: the washing stuff--again, as a former Levi's store worker--we had a hipster dude who swore by freezing his jeans. It was so annoying because he would tell people to do that and they were like, well I should trust him he works at Levi's. This dude was insufferable. Another commentator was correct--real jeans don't need to be washed nearly as often and then only in cold water. This is the premium, raw denim. When you buy them they feel like stiff boards (at least Levi's were like that) We always had one version in the guys section which was also the one style that we had xxlarge sizes of (because if you wash them, they will shrink at least a size).

The washing I believe just has to do with breaking down the fibers, as with any clothes. Also, if you've got jeans with actual indigo dye, the indigo will wash out more easily. I do dislike that most Levi's now are only like 70% cotton denim, the rest is the stretchy synthetic material. I definitely prefer stiffer denim as these "soft, form clinging" jeans show off all the little lumps and bumps. I like being structured and held in place LOL.

Also, I need rugged jeans that are still in style, you know? I work at a store for 1.5 years and even in that short time, I could see the styles changing to be less practical especially for women. It's so disappointing. I mean, a lot of women liked having "jeggings" as athleisure was just starting to take off, but ugh. The most glaring example of this was when Levi's came out with "commuter" jeans, the premise being wearing them to bike to work and wear at work. The guys' version had a reinforced crotch. The women's didn't...as if...the crotch area wouldn't wear out if women were riding bikes as per the whole idea of the pants? The men's version also had a special thing to hold your bike lock and it had a higher back so you don't show the world your skivvies. All things that are practical when commuting on a bike. The only thing the women's version kept were the reflective strips on the cuffs (seen when you rolled them up). I loved the fit of those, but I was so, so, so disappointed! Especially because the women's were more expensive!!!!! ???? Women do stuff, too!! lol
/sorry for derailing my own post, I have a lot of feelings about denim hahaha
Xraystyle No need to say sorry, it is a very interesting post from someone who obviously knows about Levi's. I remember being so disappointed when I could no longer get 501's button up in U.S. anymore. Maybe can't get the 501 button up anywhere now. :dunno:🌺:silver:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Xraystyle No need to say sorry, it is a very interesting post from someone who obviously knows about Levi's. I remember being so disappointed when I could no longer get 501's button up in U.S. anymore. Maybe can't get the 501 button up anywhere now. :dunno:🌺:silver:
501s are actually pretty popular again (with the button fly)! They definitely have them at any of the Levi's brand stores and you can order them online. But if you mean "Made in the US" ones, then yeah. Occasionally, they'll release a special run of made in the US denim, but you'd be looking at a pretty hefty price tag.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put on a fresh outfit every morning after my shower. I never wear clothes 2 days in a row. They get put in the hamper. I would wash them once a week, but you guys know that my mother won't let me use the washing machine. :( She will only wash them like every 2 weeks. So I need a lot of clothes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't imagine not washing pants, because for me they always stretch out and don't fit anymore after a few days, and need to be washed and dried to fit again. Does that not happen to other people?
Well, yeah, but only wearing them about 8 hours every three months, that's about it.

Know what I really miss? I used to, back in my hippie days, buy my jeans from the Army/Navy surplus store. Bellbottoms, of course, they were Navy jeans, but what I loved was the fact that they had no seam on the outside of the leg. They phased them out a few years ago. At that time, I lived on the beach, and I liked the fact that the bells were wide enough that I could turn the legs all the way up over my knees when I was walking/wading.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know why Navy jeans are bellbottoms? It's so that sailors can kick them off over their boots if they fall overboard, because heavy wet denim will drag you down. Plus there's a way to fold them so they hold a pillow of air and can be used as a life preserver.

When my dad made Chief, I asked him if Chiefs never fall overboard, because Chief uniforms don't have bellbottoms. He just laughed. But I've since learned that it's because Chief uniforms are made of polyester so they aren't as heavy when wet. And Chiefs are supposed to be smart enough not to fall overboard ;).

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you know why Navy jeans are bellbottoms? It's so that sailors can kick them off over their boots if they fall overboard, because heavy wet denim will drag you down. Plus there's a way to fold them so they hold a pillow of air and can be used as a life preserver.

When my dad made Chief, I asked him if Chiefs never fall overboard, because Chief uniforms don't have bellbottoms. He just laughed. But I've since learned that it's because Chief uniforms are made of polyester so they aren't as heavy when wet. And Chiefs are supposed to be smart enough not to fall overboard ;).
Willowy I knew that, but I also know they no longer wear bellbottoms in the U.S. Navy and have not for years. The Navy was responsible for the popularity of bellbottoms back in the 70's, even to the point of some of us going to Army/Navy stores to get them. They soon phased them out. :) :silver: 🌕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Willowy I knew that, but I also know they no longer wear bellbottoms in the U.S. Navy and have not for years. The Navy was responsible for the popularity of bellbottoms back in the 70's, even to the point of some of us going to Army/Navy stores to get them. They soon phased them out. :) :silver: 🌕
They were phased out in 2004. An additional reason for the belled bottom is that they could be turned back up over the knee, to allow the pants to remain dry when swabbing decks.