Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 6, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lord, I'm out of questions! Lemme see here...

OK...totally off the wall (a lot like me)

How often do you wash your jeans?

I wash mine about once every 3 months. AND...now that you've recovered from your faint, and quit going "EUUUUWWWWWWW," let me explain that I wear my sweats around the house every day (and they get washed FAR more often). I only wear my jeans when going out. I go out once a month to buy groceries (and change back into sweats the minute I'm back in the door, even before the stuff is put away), and once every 4 months to the doctor's office. So in the course of 3 months, my jeans may actually be on my body for about 8 hours. That seems reasonable.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't really like jeans, I can never find any that fit properly and they're just not that comfortable. Too stiff to do yoga in, too thin for gardening in, take too long to dry and not tough enough for hiking, not comfortable to ride in either.....

I do have a pair of jeans that I wear very occasionally. I think they get washed about twice a year.

:paperbag:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wear jeans almost every day. I used to work at a Levi's store, so got hooked on them when I had a great discount. 721 Hi-Rise Skinny are my jam. Still the only jeans I've ever had that actually work reasonably well on my frame. I go through pairs every 6 months though, since I walk everywhere and wear them every day. They get holes in the thigh area that can't be mended. They get worn twice and then washed, so between 3-4 pairs I wear a week, it's basically once a week!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear jeans every day. When I retired, one my my dilemmas was how often to change clothes because when I was working and only home for a few hours each night, I could wear the same pair all week. Can’t do that when you are wearing them every day all day. So I decided I would change clothes every other day. That has worked about right, so three or four pair of jeans go in the wash each week except for times like the last couple weeks where I am working daily in the garden and really getting dirty and a couple changes a day may be needed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They say the less often the better and to wash them in cold water. However, working in Special Ed. we had permission to wear jeans and gym shoes every day. I did a lot of bending, sitting on the floor, arts & crafts, etc. so they got washed more frequently. I actually have different jeans for when I'm home and probably wash them once a month depending on how often I wear them. Like Norachan Norachan I wear yoga pants or leggings a lot too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After every other wear.

I've heard of people storing their jeans in the freezer. Supposedly it keep the jeans crisp and the dye from fading and also keep the jeans clean by killing bacteria. Obviously freezing does nothing if a pair of jeans is visibly dirty. I found a Today article from last year with an interview with the CEO of Levi's jean: Levi's CEO says freezing your jeans to clean them doesn't work The CEO says freezing doesn't work and he himself says not to wash jeans at all. And a quote from another person interviewed: "When it's time to clean them, and this is gonna sound crazy, I throw them in the freezer ...it helps to disinfect them. Not a hundred percent, but it does a pretty good job ...." Um, freezing doesn't disinfect anything :rolleyes3:

Also found a science based article: The Myth of the Frozen Jeans

They get holes in the thigh area that can't be mended.
I get holes in the knees.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all I wear is jeans, I'll wear a pair for a couple days at a time (longer if all I'm doing is sitting around the house like now) and wash them when I'm down to my last clean pair, so usually they go in the wash once every 2 weeks or so.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord, I'm out of questions! Lemme see here...

OK...totally off the wall (a lot like me)

I wash mine about once every 3 months. AND...now that you've recovered from your faint, and quit going "EUUUUWWWWWWW," let me explain that I wear my sweats around the house every day (and they get washed FAR more often). I only wear my jeans when going out. I go out once a month to buy groceries (and change back into sweats the minute I'm back in the door, even before the stuff is put away), and once every 4 months to the doctor's office. So in the course of 3 months, my jeans may actually be on my body for about 8 hours. That seems reasonable.
I think it's May, no longer April, but I may be wrong! ;)
My jeans are old and well-worn. I wash them when they are dirty - which is pretty often. I don't wear heavy cotton jeans anyway. So, after a maximum of 2 whole days of wear they're back in the washing machine. I try to keep a (new) pair for best, and these I wash less often - but, with 4 cats, there are always pulled threads or holes appearing. So "new" is quickly relegated to "old".:(

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on how often I wear them. I don't wear them unless I go out. And buying jeans has become a pain to find ones that fit and don't drag. I'm not even short so why do they have an extra 5" of fabric?? I tried the shorts and those were too short. So odd... Anyway. I wash them when they are dirty but that could be once a week or once every two months depending on what I've been up to. They get washed more when it's warm enough to sweat out. But then I usually switch to shorts anyway.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't worn jeans in a while. I've..."ahem"...out grown the ones I have. They still fit, but not comfortably. I do need to buy a new pair because I only have 2 pairs, one of which is for "dirty work", but I want to wait until I get the excess mush off my waist.
As for washing them when I did wear them. It would depend on what I did in them. Sometimes I would go over a week and sometimes only after 1 or 2 wears. I had to wash them to re shape them, so the thing about never washing them just didn't work for me. If I sat in them for long periods, multiple times, eventually the butt would get all saggy and it just didn't look good. I have no butt so it would stretch the fibers while I sat but standing...I have nothing to keep it fill out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wear jeans, exactly, but stretch pants that look like jeans. . .but aren't quite jeggings either. I change them twice a week, and wash whenever I have enough of them for a load (I stopped washing them with other stuff because they turned everything blue/gray).

I can't imagine not washing pants, because for me they always stretch out and don't fit anymore after a few days, and need to be washed and dried to fit again. Does that not happen to other people?

If I sat in them for long periods, multiple times, eventually the butt would get all saggy and it just didn't look good
Ha, you posted while I was still typing. At least this happens to somebody else :tongue:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine not washing pants, because for me they always stretch out and don't fit anymore after a few days, and need to be washed and dried to fit again. Does that not happen to other people?
I think when they started putting spandex in most jeans it made it worse. As well as what is "in" when it comes to style. For the most part, a standard straight leg is still "it" for guys, but ladies want the form fitting stretch. If you get "real" jeans, how they wear actually forms better to you, hence the no washing suggestion. But the other thing...jeans were not worn as everyday "nice" clothes either, and they weren't sat in for extended periods. They are work pants, so they do wear/soften properly for comfort and movement. But if all you do is sit in them for 8 hours 4-5 days in row...all you get is a saggy butt and puffy knees.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idk, it happened when I wore "real" jeans, too, and I always bought full cotton jeans, no spandex.

I'm guessing the guys who do that don't care if their jeans are baggy in the butt or knees, and probably wear a belt to keep them up. I doubt most women would be able/willing to do the same.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idk, it happened when I wore "real" jeans, too, and I always bought full cotton jeans, no spandex.

I'm guessing the guys who do that don't care if their jeans are baggy in the butt or knees, and probably wear a belt to keep them up. I doubt most women would be able/willing to do the same.
Well yeah, that's what belts are for. There's also suspenders which are better for people with "flat bottoms".

I wear relaxed fit because I can't stand tight pants, so I always wear a belt.