Question of the day - Thursday 31 March

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
highway (because it's not like the freeways in LA and surrounding, which is what i think of when i'm thinking freeway)
To me, a freeway is 3-4 lanes with the big green signs showing you which off ramp is coming up,
A highway is usually one lane each way (with occasional passing lanes) with no lights or stop signs, and only a very small sign saying which town turn-off is next.

Once again showing regional differences.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. I know it's goulash, but I would almost never call it that. I'd probably call it a casserole though, which is one of the few things I don't call by the Minnesota name (casseroles are hot dishes here).
2. Pop
3. Growing up I called it pony tail holder, but as an adult I call them hair ties because it's fewer syllables. :lol:
4. Mr. Freeze or Freezies
5. Firefly
6. Those specifically are lollipops, but the ones like Dum Dums or Tootsie pops are suckers
7. Freeway
8. I guess I would call it a Daddy Long Legs, but usually what I consider a daddy long leg has bent legs
9. Butt

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, a freeway is 3-4 lanes with the big green signs showing you which off ramp is coming up,
A highway is usually one lane each way (with occasional passing lanes) with no lights or stop signs, and only a very small sign saying which town turn-off is next.

Once again showing regional differences.
It's similar for me. A freeway has no stoplights or stop signs and can be 2+ lanes and a speed limit of at least 55mph. A highway has 1-4 lanes with stoplights or stop signs that usually has a speed limit between 40 and 55mph but could be higher in more remote areas.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never put cheese in chili mac and have never seen it that way so there are regional differences.
Skyline Chili (sometimes called Cincinnati Chili) is a regional pasta dish that has both chili and shredded cheese over spaghetti. The chili has no beans and is sweetened with baker's chocolate. It's much better than one might think. Skyline is a small restaurant chain in the Cincinnati area and owns the name, hence "Cincinnati Chili."

Edit: I looked and they have many more locations around the Great Lakes and Florida I never knew they had!

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Goulash
2. Soda
3. Hair bands
4. Freezer Pops
5. Lightening bugs
6. Lollipop
7. Highway
8. Daddy Longlegs
9. End Piece

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
1 American Chop Suey
2.soda
3. hair ties
4. Freeze pop
5. firefly
6: lollipop
7. highway
8. spider/ daddy longlegs
9. end piece

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Beefaroni
Pop
Hair ties
Freeze pop
Lightning bug
Lollipop
Expressway
Daddylonglegs
Crust

Lari Lari Did you notice you and I are the only ones who call it an "Expressway?" - must be a Chicago thing 😉

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Skyline Chili (sometimes called Cincinnati Chili) is a regional pasta dish that has both chili and shredded cheese over spaghetti. The chili has no beans and is sweetened with baker's chocolate. It's much better than one might think. Skyline is a small restaurant chain in the Cincinnati area and owns the name, hence "Cincinnati Chili."

Edit: I looked and they have many more locations around the Great Lakes and Florida I never knew they had!
I think Skyline is all over Ohio. The first time I had it was when I moved to Ohio, I asked the person if the people who started it were from Greece and she said they were. The chili has cinnamon in it which is very common in Greek food. It's okay, not a favorite for me. I have thought of it more like a spaghetti sauce then chili.

i have always thought of goulash as made with stew meat in a sauce that is heavy on paprika and served over egg noodles. I think that is probably because of the large Eastern European and Russian communities in Northeast Ohio.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 415559
I call them -
1 - noodles
2 - soda
3 - Hair ties
4 - ice pops
5 - Fire fly
6 - sucker
7 - highway
8 - Daddy long legs
9 - butt

I actually have two names for a few but went with what first popped into my head.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Skyline is all over Ohio. The first time I had it was when I moved to Ohio, I asked the person if the people who started it were from Greece and she said they were. The chili has cinnamon in it which is very common in Greek food. It's okay, not a favorite for me. I have thought of it more like a spaghetti sauce then chili.

i have always thought of goulash as made with stew meat in a sauce that is heavy on paprika and served over egg noodles. I think that is probably because of the large Eastern European and Russian communities in Northeast Ohio.
Skyline chili also has cloves in it. DH and I both tried it. Neither one of us liked it. It wasn't very chili-like to us either.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found that another name for American goulash is slumgullion, so maybe that's the regional difference they were thinking of. But I don't know where they call it that.
I've hardly ever heard anybody use the term "slumgullion" except my Dad. It was sort of a disparaging term, so it never got much use in our house. Really surprised it came up here.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skyline chili also has cloves in it. DH and I both tried it. Neither one of us liked it. It wasn't very chili-like to us either.
I can see why some might not like it. I always did, however. Anyhow, Rudy's Hot Dog in Toledo Ohio has a chili quite like Skyline that they put on their dogs. I used to work in Toledo and Rudy's was a favorite lunch for those where I worked.