Question Of The Day, Sunday, February 11, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

recently, a member here at TCS mentioned buying men's pants in another thread -- i've been unable to find that post in the thread. :paperbag: that got me thinking about what's important to me when i'm looking at/buying new clothes.

so for today's Question of the Day......

What do you look for, is important to you when you're buying clothes? (i'm meaning non-work clothes, but feel free to share about your work clothes too, if you'd like to :D)

i'll start!

for me, it's comfort, price, durability, and color.

i want my clothes feeling comfortable to me. i don't need 'binding' or tight fitting. many times i'll buy a size up, just to be sure the clothing isn't tight or binding. also, i pretty much live in sweat shirts/pants during the cold weather months, and lightweight men's boxer shorts and cotton short-sleeved shirts during the summer months. for in-between weather, i have men's long-sleeved thermal henley (knit) tops, and women's thermal tops/bottoms (thermal underwear).

price is...balanced with quality, durability for me. i hunt down the best price i can find (most times online) for clothes, but i'm also looking at the quality and durability -- which sometimes has to do with the brand. i love finding items i need to buy on sale! :cloud9:

durability is very important to me. i trim, stack, and move a lot of firewood, and also do various 'projects' (which can be messy, like ones involving painting or staining...or glue :gaah:), so i need clothing that can handle that without becoming ripped, torn, worn through quickly, or otherwise damaged. i'll pay a little more for clothes that are more durable.

as for color, my choices are based mainly on how i do my laundry. i prefer to wash in cool water, cold rinse. and i want to wash all the clothing together. i simply won't buy black or red clothing, because i've had those colors 'bleed' even in cold water washing. most of my winter clothing is dark blue and grey colored. my summer clothes are similarly colored with the exception of my cotton short-sleeved tops -- which are blue, green, yellow, and purple colored. my socks and underwear are plain white -- nothing 'fancy' here.

how about you?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I'd say comfort, durability, price.

I don't shop for clothes that often (it's not among my favorite things to do), so my things have to last a while. I tend to stay with what works for me: Lees and Levi jeans, Lees casual pants for work, Dockers pants for work, sweaters for winter and even summer because it's chilly in the office. I have several pairs of JCP Worthington pants for work, too; they tend to last a while. If I see something I really do like, I'll buy it. Like I said, I don't shop for clothes often, so when I do, I make it worth my time.

We don't worry too much about color; we do separate clothing: whites, colored, my work, sweats. I don't want my work clothes in with Rick's flannels and sweatshirts, so I'll wash them separately.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I attend a lot of church functions. Therefore, I look for classic, well fitting suits, pantsuits, and dresses. It is difficult to find those kinds of clothes anymore unless I go to thrift shops. I have had to do that because of losing weight. The only thing I didn't have to totally replace is tops. At home, I wear jeans and a turtleneck in winter. In summer I wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. The main thing is well fitting and classic. By classic, I mean things that never go out of style. My favorite shirts for everyday are those made by Life is Good. For my church clothes, it is difficult because they don't sell petite sizes in our J.C. Penny and not many in Belk. Dresses they stock are mostly small, medium, and large. They don't work well for me because my arms and legs, as well as the rest of me, are short. I had a supreme struggle replacing my wardrobe and it was a royal pain, not fun.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Comfort, durability, reasonable price. I am able to wear jeans to work every day now, it used to be only on Fridays. We had some bigwigs there last summer and couldn't wear jeans those days and I had to go shopping because my dress pants no longer fit right. Because I have them now I do sometimes wear those to work rather than have them hang in the closet and not get worn. I wear sweaters in the winter and some light weight tops in the summer.

Around the house or just to run to the store in the winter I wear sweats otherwise what I wear to work. In the summer I wear shorts and tee shirts around the house, when I go somewhere I change into jeans. I am 62 now so shorts are only for around the house now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for comfort, durability, and price. I "live" in jeans paired with fleece tops, sweatshirts, or T-shirts, depending on the season. Stuff has to be wash and wear, and I prefer solid colors and V necks.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go for comfort first and foremost. If its ethically produced then that's even better. I look for really soft clothes that won't dig in or aggravate my sciatic pain, allodynia or other similar issues. I'll often buy up a size or too, even in yoga pants, to be sure it won't hurt on flare days. My shape changes drastically with spinal/pelvic shifts too, so whilst I'm actually a 0-2, I'll often be more comfortable in a 4 or 6. All my underwear is size 8 so it doesn't cut into me even a little! Tops are anything from 0 to 12 - I buy the fit I want, not the size.

These days, I pretty much live in yoga pants, leggings and tops, but I have jeans for going out in or (more often these days), skirts or jersy dresses over leggings/yoga pants. My style is a bit boho/hippy generally, but I have favourite cosy sweatshirts and hoodies too. When I go to the stables, its jeans or jodhpurs with (usually old) t-shirts and jumpers. I'm not the least bit fashion consious. I just buy what feels and looks nice to me. I have a major scarf fetish though, especially light supersoft ones.

For shoes, I live in Ugg-style boots year round, longer in winter and shorter in summer. It's the only way to keep my feet warm. For the stables I have faux fur or fleece lined boots.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Like other members, I shop based on price, comfort, durability and design. My taste is classic/timeless, i.e. it never goes out of style. 99% of the time I shop at the end of the season when clothes are on sale. Why would I pay full price at the beginning of the season when I can buy it for 75% less at the end?

Around the house I wear yoga pants and t-shirts in warmer months, sweats and turtlenecks in winter. Outdoors I usually wear jeans with a sweater in winter or a cotton top in summer. I live in my running shoes or Birkenstocks because they are the most comfortable which after after years of running took a toll on my feet. :walk:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I shop based on what catches my eye, really. It's hard for me to test durability, and I will sacrifice comfort for fashion unless it's actually painful and harmful. Needless to say, I prefer cheaper clothes but if the price makes sense, and I haven't bought something in a long time... I'm willing to pay more.

I do prefer shoe shopping because it is much easier to test durability. And because I like to try on the outrageously tall high heels, just for fun!

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want what I want,and don't care much what it costs IF it's too cool to pass up. And I am All about being comfortable.

All I wear is t-shirts and sweatpants or shorts. I live my life in comfort,work or play. I just got it like that. And I am a Texas sized man,raised on meat and potatoes. So I need a big and tall mans clothes. So I buy my pants and shorts from Kingsize,which is often more expensive but is mail order so I don't have to go shopping. And during the spring months they have these muslin shorts for sale that are sooooo comfy!!

But for t-shirts,I get them from various online places that will make big and tall custom print stuff. Right now I am wearing one that says "CATS!!! because people suck.".(I know,that's a bit harsh,but it's often how I feel). Yeah,it was $34 shipped,but it was too funny for me to pass up. As a trucker,they get worn where the seatbelt rides across my chest. So shirts don't last forever.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good quality, comfortable, reasonable price.

And stylish with timeless class :D

Extra bonus if North American or European made.

I actually just watched a news program couple weeks ago about clothing pollution and waste - the amount of donated clothing has overcome the actual need. Much of the clothing is cheap quality. Much more to it than what I can properly describe.

For anyone who has the time/interested here is a link:

Clothing Waste: Fashion’s dirty secret - Episodes - Marketplace

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty much like Winchester when it comes to buying clothes.
I like durability, comfort and price. I would rather have open heart surgery than go clothes shopping.

I buy men's jeans at Sears and WalMart to wear around the house or to go shopping. I don't work but I do wear women's pants (Worthington) when I go over someone's house or go to the doctor or to the movies or eat out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017 | Page 62 | Post 1222

"men's pants" site:thecatsite.com - Google Search

Google can find anything on TCS is less than a second.
thank you!! :D

you know, i've found that to be true too! i use yahoo as my search engine, and i've been able to find items that have been strangely difficult to locate on (familiar to me) websites, simply by doing an internet search. my conclusion is that the website may have changed how search results are...prioritized -- like, the more expensive have priority over the more cost-effective items. :think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I'd say comfort, durability, price.

I don't shop for clothes that often (it's not among my favorite things to do), so my things have to last a while. I tend to stay with what works for me: Lees and Levi jeans, Lees casual pants for work, Dockers pants for work, sweaters for winter and even summer because it's chilly in the office. I have several pairs of JCP Worthington pants for work, too; they tend to last a while. If I see something I really do like, I'll buy it. Like I said, I don't shop for clothes often, so when I do, I make it worth my time.

We don't worry too much about color; we do separate clothing: whites, colored, my work, sweats. I don't want my work clothes in with Rick's flannels and sweatshirts, so I'll wash them separately.
comfort, durability, and price!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i don't shop for clothing often either -- it's just replacing items, or adding more of some items for me these days. i needed to buy more sweatshirts and sweatpants this year (i'm more sensitive to the cold this year), and i bought new underwear (it's been several years since i'd bought any, so some pairs have had the elastic -- always the waistband :dunno: -- wear out).

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i bought new underwear (it's been several years since i'd bought any, so some pairs have had the elastic -- always the waistband :dunno: -- wear out).
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom - Elastic wearing out is pretty normal. Stuff like this - not so much:

I reached a new level in cat "ownership" today. Today I tussled with a cat who was tangled in my underpants inside my jeans holding me hostage in the bathroom. No blood was shed. :p

I had sneakers on or i'd have left her my pants there but she wouldn't let me help her get her leg unstuck so I could at least have my underpants. :crazy: :paperbag: :rolleyes: She just kept whapping me! While purring. Till she finally managed to untangle herself and settle in. She does love to steal my pants. Especially at 3 am. :rolleyes: But we've never had a pants-tangle-tussle before. Just that carrot bag tussle the other day. :lol::dancingblackcat::petcat:

Feel better already, don'tcha?

;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I attend a lot of church functions. Therefore, I look for classic, well fitting suits, pantsuits, and dresses. It is difficult to find those kinds of clothes anymore unless I go to thrift shops. I have had to do that because of losing weight. The only thing I didn't have to totally replace is tops. At home, I wear jeans and a turtleneck in winter. In summer I wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. The main thing is well fitting and classic. By classic, I mean things that never go out of style. My favorite shirts for everyday are those made by Life is Good. For my church clothes, it is difficult because they don't sell petite sizes in our J.C. Penny and not many in Belk. Dresses they stock are mostly small, medium, and large. They don't work well for me because my arms and legs, as well as the rest of me, are short. I had a supreme struggle replacing my wardrobe and it was a royal pain, not fun.
you look for classic, well fitting clothes!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

'things that never go out of style'
-- that makes good sense!

these days, i think most clothing is manufactured in 'cookie-cutter' sizes. anyone who doesn't fit the mold, the cookie-cutter sizes (which is most of us, imo) has to struggle to find clothes that fit or fit well. :gaah:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Comfort, durability and price here too. I buy pretty much all my clothes from Kohl's. They have good deals and they run sales monthly with 30% off if you use a Kohl's card. Plus free shipping and they often have other codes that can be stacked with the 30% off. Then add on Kohl's cash and the yes2you rewards and I score some fantastic deals. The closest store to me is 30 miles north or south so I shop online exclusively and return anything I'm not happy with. They have a great return policy. I buy DD's clothes this way too. She prefers men's pants and shirts.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this question as it relates to my studies when I was young. I am really enjoying the posts!

I don't clothes shop too often, with exception of shoes, but most important to least important -

1. Has to be non-trend and not have a designer label or logo for anyone to see.
2. Color and patterns. My pants are black or grey, usually. I love to buy patterned blouses or tops, reminiscent of the prints of the 1960's, when I believe patterns were at their best. I often wish I would have the time to start sewing again to make my own tops.
3. Able to be washed as opposed to dry-cleaning, only because of the expense and I need my clothes clean for the next work-day.
4. Not overly priced.
5. Look for pants that can be lengthened if they shrink, I need pants longer than shorter.

That being said, shoes are another story. I walk all day and wear shoes out like crazy. I have to pay more for comfort, but I love the Naturalizer flats which are very comfortable and they have great styles these days.
Jewelry - I only like to wear watches and don't buy them too often, but when I do, I seek out off-beat fashion styles, like the awesome ones on etsy.

For nightclothes, I will seek out anything with a cat on it.

For tote-bags, I get only once a year, maybe, but I like to get handmade ones on etsy because they are unique.

Sorry to ramble, but I love this question!