Question Of The Day, Sunday, February 11, 2018

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, mostly jeans and t-shirts. I wear flannel shirts. A lot of my clothes are actually mens but they are more durable and have pockets. I need pockets. :lol: In winter I wear sweatpants. I would say most of my clothes are black or dark blue. Mainly when I buy clothes, they have to be comfortable, of decent price and durable.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer a comfortable/casual style that won't break the bank. I've found since having kids my clothing doesn't last as long. I am by no means trendy; but I do like to look neat and clean even if I'm just in jeans and a semi-fitted t-shirt. I've never had a very easy time finding things that fit; but even more so now when I need to dress up.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a pajama set today at Walmart that I'll have to go back and buy. The top has cats with a day of the week written under each one. If I like the material they're made of I'll get a couple in different colors. I don't buy clothes there, unless it's a brand that's well made.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this question as it relates to my studies when I was young. I am really enjoying the posts!

I don't clothes shop too often, with exception of shoes, but most important to least important -

1. Has to be non-trend and not have a designer label or logo for anyone to see.
2. Color and patterns. My pants are black or grey, usually. I love to buy patterned blouses or tops, reminiscent of the prints of the 1960's, when I believe patterns were at their best. I often wish I would have the time to start sewing again to make my own tops.
3. Able to be washed as opposed to dry-cleaning, only because of the expense and I need my clothes clean for the next work-day.
4. Not overly priced.
5. Look for pants that can be lengthened if they shrink, I need pants longer than shorter.

That being said, shoes are another story. I walk all day and wear shoes out like crazy. I have to pay more for comfort, but I love the Naturalizer flats which are very comfortable and they have great styles these days.
Jewelry - I only like to wear watches and don't buy them too often, but when I do, I seek out off-beat fashion styles, like the awesome ones on etsy.

For nightclothes, I will seek out anything with a cat on it.

For tote-bags, I get only once a year, maybe, but I like to get handmade ones on etsy because they are unique.

Sorry to ramble, but I love this question!
For very comfortable, extremely durable shoes, try SAS shoes. I have a pair I wore daily for over five years. SAS emphasizes comfort with their TriPad system and the fit is excellent. They don't look like your grandmother's shoes, but don't expect high heels or pointed toes. You'll pay $$ for the purchase, but when you break the wear time down, they outlast several pairs of other shoes. We had these shoes recommended by two podiatrists. They're worn by nurses and letter carriers and others who are on their feet all day.

Another way to relieve your feet when you're on them all day is to change shoes about halfway through the day. This changes the pressure points and results in increased comfort.

I'm definitely not a clothes horse. I don't own anything for dress-up and I should. Personally, I'd rather have a root canal without anesthesia than go clothes shopping. I'm a wide body and for some reason manufacturers think that wide people are also tall and have long arms. They also get away with charging much more for very little additional fabric. That said, I could make a pair of shorts from what I cut off a pair of pants. I look like a street urchin with sleeves well past my fingertips. Fortunately, my husband sews, so he can alter what little I buy and he makes most of my tops other than slacks, tees and sweatshirts. Oh, and undies, which come from Woman Within.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Comfort, durability, reasonable price. I am able to wear jeans to work every day now, it used to be only on Fridays. We had some bigwigs there last summer and couldn't wear jeans those days and I had to go shopping because my dress pants no longer fit right. Because I have them now I do sometimes wear those to work rather than have them hang in the closet and not get worn. I wear sweaters in the winter and some light weight tops in the summer.

Around the house or just to run to the store in the winter I wear sweats otherwise what I wear to work. In the summer I wear shorts and tee shirts around the house, when I go somewhere I change into jeans. I am 62 now so shorts are only for around the house now.
comfort, durability, and reasonable price!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

that's great, that you're able to wear jeans to work every day now! that makes good sense, to wear the dress pants sometimes, to get use out of them. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a pajama set today at Walmart that I'll have to go back and buy. The top has cats with a day of the week written under each one. If I like the material they're made of I'll get a couple in different colors. I don't buy clothes there, unless it's a brand that's well made.
that pajama set sounds really cute!! :clap: i hope you like the material they're made of! :crossfingers:

i buy quite a bit of my clothing at walmart (usually online). i stick to certain brands, like Hanes, and Faded Glory. i've found those brands to have good quality, comfort, and durability.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for comfort, durability, and price. I "live" in jeans paired with fleece tops, sweatshirts, or T-shirts, depending on the season. Stuff has to be wash and wear, and I prefer solid colors and V necks.
comfort, durability, and price!!! :thumbsup: excellent!!

and, wash and wear! :cloud9: now i'm thinking about it, i do choose solid colors too. :think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go for comfort first and foremost. If its ethically produced then that's even better. I look for really soft clothes that won't dig in or aggravate my sciatic pain, allodynia or other similar issues. I'll often buy up a size or too, even in yoga pants, to be sure it won't hurt on flare days. My shape changes drastically with spinal/pelvic shifts too, so whilst I'm actually a 0-2, I'll often be more comfortable in a 4 or 6. All my underwear is size 8 so it doesn't cut into me even a little! Tops are anything from 0 to 12 - I buy the fit I want, not the size.

These days, I pretty much live in yoga pants, leggings and tops, but I have jeans for going out in or (more often these days), skirts or jersy dresses over leggings/yoga pants. My style is a bit boho/hippy generally, but I have favourite cosy sweatshirts and hoodies too. When I go to the stables, its jeans or jodhpurs with (usually old) t-shirts and jumpers. I'm not the least bit fashion consious. I just buy what feels and looks nice to me. I have a major scarf fetish though, especially light supersoft ones.

For shoes, I live in Ugg-style boots year round, longer in winter and shorter in summer. It's the only way to keep my feet warm. For the stables I have faux fur or fleece lined boots.
comfortable, soft, you buy for the fit you want, and must keep your feet warm!!! :clap: really awesome!! :D

actually, those 'points' fit well with my priorities too! :agree: my feet get cold very easily too. i bought some 70% merino wool socks ('up to -30 below zero' socks) from amazon for this winter. these socks are 'the thing', keep my feet really and truly warm, and are gloriously soft too. they're not inexpensive -- iirc they were $30 (US) for a package of three pairs, but well worth the cost!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just like to choose something that I'm comfortable and happy in. I'm not that much of a fashion person, so my style just consists of cosy jumpers and nice shirts depending on the season. I do tend to look out for patterned shirts in the summer, often stripy shirts or shirts with bird/butterfly prints on.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've gotten a few pj sets there recently. They have been nice! 2 were summer material that was nice and cool and smooth. My mother found me a cotton winter set. I needed something with sleeves and pants but not fleece or flannel heavy. It's washed very well so far too.

I don't buy like jeans or nice shirts there though. Most I get at Kohls. I get my athletic type clothing at walmart or if I find basic t-shirts and tanks on clearance I will get some because they are good for around the house or in the garden (which is where I am most days). I just don't like the fit of most other stuff there. I've found one nice fleece jacket but my lightweight water resistant one "leaks" at the neck. :rolleyes3: I ended up finding a Columbia brand rain coat on Amazon. Sometimes you just can't skimp on quality. I found it at a decent price and it should last a very very long time. So I think it's worth it. DH got jeans there recently and they are nicer than the womens jeans I've found. I will get random kids things there; but some haven't lasted long at all!

Some things overall I think going for a quality item is worth it. Shoes especially. DH and I are big New Balance fans for sneakers. DH wears those most of the time for work and he is on his feet constantly. Last week my Podiatrist actually said to go to the New Balance store to talk to them about what size and fit I should be wearing as well as any inserts. Most places I don't trust that the employees really know what they are talking about. The Stride Rite store was great with my kids but they closed all their retail stores last year. I was SSOOOOOO upset!! :bawling2:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like other members, I shop based on price, comfort, durability and design. My taste is classic/timeless, i.e. it never goes out of style. 99% of the time I shop at the end of the season when clothes are on sale. Why would I pay full price at the beginning of the season when I can buy it for 75% less at the end?

Around the house I wear yoga pants and t-shirts in warmer months, sweats and turtlenecks in winter. Outdoors I usually wear jeans with a sweater in winter or a cotton top in summer. I live in my running shoes or Birkenstocks because they are the most comfortable which after after years of running took a toll on my feet. :walk:
price, comfort, durability, and design!!! :thumbsup: great!! :)

i've noticed that some stores (for example, the walmart store i go to) have pretty much stopped the end of season sales. i've also noticed that they tend to stock less of individual clothes, and more of a variety of clothing. :dunno:

i'd much rather catch those really good sales at the end of the seasons. to an extent, i've been able to find some decent end of season sales online. but then, i don't need to buy clothes often, so maybe i miss the end of season sales...?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop based on what catches my eye, really. It's hard for me to test durability, and I will sacrifice comfort for fashion unless it's actually painful and harmful. Needless to say, I prefer cheaper clothes but if the price makes sense, and I haven't bought something in a long time... I'm willing to pay more.

I do prefer shoe shopping because it is much easier to test durability. And because I like to try on the outrageously tall high heels, just for fun!
you shop based on what catches your eye -- fashionable, preferably less expensive, and you really enjoy shopping for shoes!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want what I want,and don't care much what it costs IF it's too cool to pass up. And I am All about being comfortable.

All I wear is t-shirts and sweatpants or shorts. I live my life in comfort,work or play. I just got it like that. And I am a Texas sized man,raised on meat and potatoes. So I need a big and tall mans clothes. So I buy my pants and shorts from Kingsize,which is often more expensive but is mail order so I don't have to go shopping. And during the spring months they have these muslin shorts for sale that are sooooo comfy!!

But for t-shirts,I get them from various online places that will make big and tall custom print stuff. Right now I am wearing one that says "CATS!!! because people suck.".(I know,that's a bit harsh,but it's often how I feel). Yeah,it was $34 shipped,but it was too funny for me to pass up. As a trucker,they get worn where the seatbelt rides across my chest. So shirts don't last forever.
comfort, and style -- with humor added in!!! :thumbsup: that sounds wonderful!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good quality, comfortable, reasonable price.

And stylish with timeless class :D

Extra bonus if North American or European made.

I actually just watched a news program couple weeks ago about clothing pollution and waste - the amount of donated clothing has overcome the actual need. Much of the clothing is cheap quality. Much more to it than what I can properly describe.

For anyone who has the time/interested here is a link:

Clothing Waste: Fashion’s dirty secret - Episodes - Marketplace
good quality, comfort, reasonable price, and better if North American or European made!!! :clap: really awesome!! :D

thank you for the link to that news program! ;)

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For very comfortable, extremely durable shoes, try SAS shoes. I have a pair I wore daily for over five years. SAS emphasizes comfort with their TriPad system and the fit is excellent. They don't look like your grandmother's shoes, but don't expect high heels or pointed toes. You'll pay $$ for the purchase, but when you break the wear time down, they outlast several pairs of other shoes. We had these shoes recommended by two podiatrists. They're worn by nurses and letter carriers and others who are on their feet all day.

Another way to relieve your feet when you're on them all day is to change shoes about halfway through the day. This changes the pressure points and results in increased comfort.

I'm definitely not a clothes horse. I don't own anything for dress-up and I should. Personally, I'd rather have a root canal without anesthesia than go clothes shopping. I'm a wide body and for some reason manufacturers think that wide people are also tall and have long arms. They also get away with charging much more for very little additional fabric. That said, I could make a pair of shorts from what I cut off a pair of pants. I look like a street urchin with sleeves well past my fingertips. Fortunately, my husband sews, so he can alter what little I buy and he makes most of my tops other than slacks, tees and sweatshirts. Oh, and undies, which come from Woman Within.
Thank you Mother Dragon Mother Dragon for recommending the San Antonio Shoemakers and your tip for rotating shoe pairs during the day! I am certainly going to check it out! It sounds like the SAS shoes are well-made of good materials. The ones I have the most luck with are Naturalizer, Aravon (made by New Balance), but the most comfortable pairs for me are usually NaturalSoul. I am glad that I have found they are a good fit for me because it makes all the difference in the world! If feet are comfortable, everything else seems to be all right!:thanks:

This is a very interesting Question Of The Day! Thank you micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom !! :rock:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty much like Winchester when it comes to buying clothes.
I like durability, comfort and price. I would rather have open heart surgery than go clothes shopping.

I buy men's jeans at Sears and WalMart to wear around the house or to go shopping. I don't work but I do wear women's pants (Worthington) when I go over someone's house or go to the doctor or to the movies or eat out.
durability, comfort, and price!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Comfort, durability and price here too. I buy pretty much all my clothes from Kohl's. They have good deals and they run sales monthly with 30% off if you use a Kohl's card. Plus free shipping and they often have other codes that can be stacked with the 30% off. Then add on Kohl's cash and the yes2you rewards and I score some fantastic deals. The closest store to me is 30 miles north or south so I shop online exclusively and return anything I'm not happy with. They have a great return policy. I buy DD's clothes this way too. She prefers men's pants and shirts.
comfort, durability, and price!!! :clap: great!! :D

that's very interesting! :think: i haven't looked into Kohl's...now i think i should!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this question as it relates to my studies when I was young. I am really enjoying the posts!

I don't clothes shop too often, with exception of shoes, but most important to least important -

1. Has to be non-trend and not have a designer label or logo for anyone to see.
2. Color and patterns. My pants are black or grey, usually. I love to buy patterned blouses or tops, reminiscent of the prints of the 1960's, when I believe patterns were at their best. I often wish I would have the time to start sewing again to make my own tops.
3. Able to be washed as opposed to dry-cleaning, only because of the expense and I need my clothes clean for the next work-day.
4. Not overly priced.
5. Look for pants that can be lengthened if they shrink, I need pants longer than shorter.

That being said, shoes are another story. I walk all day and wear shoes out like crazy. I have to pay more for comfort, but I love the Naturalizer flats which are very comfortable and they have great styles these days.
Jewelry - I only like to wear watches and don't buy them too often, but when I do, I seek out off-beat fashion styles, like the awesome ones on etsy.

For nightclothes, I will seek out anything with a cat on it.

For tote-bags, I get only once a year, maybe, but I like to get handmade ones on etsy because they are unique.

Sorry to ramble, but I love this question!
those are all very good points!!! :clap: really awesome!! :D

i love the prints, and the clothing designs of the 60's too!! :cloud9:

'Able to be washed as opposed to dry-cleaning...' -- yes! definitely important to me too!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I will admit clothing is something I have always loved. I can't wear most of it but I do enjoy looking at clothes-thrift stores in particular. At one point I used to sell blue jeans at the flea markets and I could tell the brand by the stitching of back pockets and the type of fabric used as well as the button closure=this was many years ago and then flared leg jeans took over everything. No one wanted classic cut jeans anymore-except for me. I prefer a boot cut myself.

I first have to be comfortable then it can't be tight and strange feeling, then color must be bright happy or black. I don't wear white at all-I did in my younger days when I was a twig. Now I prefer black/dark colors in the winter and bright light colors in the summer.

I don't like jeans as they never stay put-I feel like I am always pulling the waist up or adjusting the hip area even with stretch jeans so I started wearing mens khakis and some womens tan/grey pants. I found jeans made my legs super cold in the winter-then I found these sweat pants I wear, they are from walmart-discontinued of course=so I bought 10 pairs in 2 sizes. They are different-don't look like sweats and fit my odd shaped frame good. Most pants don't have enough room in the trunk so I go up a size then wear a belt. yuck. Then seems I am always wearing baggy clothes that irritate-so can't be tight nor too loose. I am almost always a size in between so it's a real pain.

In the summer if I want to wear shorts-they have to be long that come to my knees. I hate short shorts-so uncomfortable. Linen is my preferred fabric in the summer-which is hard to find. I had these linen dress slacks that were the perfect hot day pants-cotton sticks to me it seems. So the thrift stores are where I look for linen garments-I won't buy new. yuck.

I don't do dresses-hate my skin touching and hate tights. I don't like tight binding material. Even my bike shorts irritate my skin-I hate spandex with a passion.

Right now I wear mens sport polyester shirts because they wick the sweat=I seem to always overheat. I wear a tank top under all my shirts year round. Don't know why-I just can't just wear one shirt but a tank is fine in the summer.

so it can't be dry clean, no crazy patterns either-solid colors only except for my flannel shirts in winter or sleeveless button ups in summer and must be comfortable. I wear layers. and sometimes I wear weird colors together. pink with orange or purple with green-only at work..just because I can. LOL.

Last edited: