Question of The Day. Saturday 25th of April.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am ancient, so none of you will understand what the hell I'm on about - but here we go!

Does anybody remember plastic macs? Cheap raincoats which everyone needed to protect their expensive clothes back in and around the1950's? And “Rainmates” to protect your hair? Being plastic they never lasted very long.

In the 1960's as a student, I invested in a lightweight BRI-Nylon waterproof raincoat from Marks and Spencer’s in Leeds, England to wear, over a coat if necessary, should it start to rain. (The name on the label is "St Michael"). It's still waterproof, all the original buttons and buttonholes are intact, no holes in the pockets. The label can still be read "Warm wash, Drip dry, Size 10, Bust 34 inches". (It's OK, I'm not trying to sell it!)

A few years later, when mini-skirts became fashionable it was rather long, I had to cut quite a lot off the bottom, sewing it by hand. The shorter length made it ideal for cycling so being lightweight it was taken on numerous walking and cycling tours. Now, it hangs conveniently on the back of the door for when I have to suddenly go out in the rain to put out the rubbish, bring in the washing, or rescue something flying about in a storm. I don't wear it regularly, but it's still very useful. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a hood otherwise it would have been even more practical.

Studying it closely just now, I can only find one sign of wear-and-tear. There is a group of tiny holes. :bluepaw: It looks as though a cat has tried to climb up and left some claw marks. No doubt, it was Sweep - an intelligent cat who used to spend hours studying doors and door handles until he worked out how to open them. Only locked doors remained a mystery. His investigation always began by climbing up on towels or clothing to have a good look.

So, I estimate my piece of antique clothing is genuine British, purchased in 1964! At the time it seemed a lot of money to spend on one item of clothing, but compared with some of the things I buy today and have to throw out within a few months, it was certainly a bargain.
Yes, I remember them- and galoshes, and wool mittens with the elastic cord that went through your sleeves with a clip at each end so you didn't lose said mittens, and also yes, they didn't last too long.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I see he was a first sergeant. Did he ever say what branch of the Army he served in?
I know only that he served in the Philippines. Beyond that, he steadfastly refused to talk about anything to do with the war and his service. And he nurtured a hatred for Japan and Germany like it was a living thing that had to be watered until it began to soften and dissipate in the 1990s.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know only that he served in the Philippines. Beyond that, he steadfastly refused to talk about anything to do with the war and his service. And he nurtured a hatred for Japan and Germany like it was a living thing that had to be watered until it began to soften and dissipate in the 1990s.
I knew more than a few like that in my younger years. My father wouldn't buy anything Japanese or German because a brother was killed in the Pacific, and a cousin was killed in Europe.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've not really held on to old clothes, but I did get this in 1983 at the Great Wall of China. It was sold to me by the artist who hand painted it.. I was told later that he was an excellent, well known artist who had been reduced to selling cheap shirts from an outdoor table at the Great Wall because of the Cultural Revolution.

tshirt.JPG

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've not really held on to old clothes, but I did get this in 1983 at the Great Wall of China. It was sold to me by the artist who hand painted it.. I was told later that he was an excellent, well known artist who had been reduced to selling cheap shirts from an outdoor table at the Great Wall because of the Cultural Revolution.

View attachment 331772
Do you know his name?

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did, but not now... it's signed, but I don't read Chinese!
Yeah, Chinese is impossible for me to read. Maybe someone else on here can ???:lovecat2: My mother was learning to speak Chinese at age 99. She taught me a few phrases but it is also very difficult because the intonations can change the meaning of the word. I think the characters are like an artwork in and of themselves.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I remember them- and galoshes, and wool mittens with the elastic cord that went through your sleeves with a clip at each end so you didn't lose said mittens, and also yes, they didn't last too long.
Those dreadful woollen mittens and gloves: hopeless in the snow. Lost an important snowball fight against "The Savages" who lived a few houses away, our back yards separated by a couple of neighbouring plots. Nice solid snowballs got stuck to the wool and were impossible to throw the required distance. My brother probably had no gloves at all otherwise the battle would never have started in the first place. It was a dark night, no lights in backyards in those days, so we got into trouble for flattening the garden plants in our enthusiasm! :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably some different sweatshirts. One is of the girl's softball league I participated in in high school, that I've had for probably 12 years. Then I also have a sweatshirt from my first college that is probably around the same age.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise

View attachment 331772
That’s beautiful! I wonder if it could be restored somehow and then framed

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a long red coat my mother bought for me to wear over my junior prom dress. It’s still beautiful and want. I’m snowy or windy places it keeps me very warm. I’ve lent it to later generations of young ladies wearing prom gowns too. Sort of a classic style. I also have my grandmothers L.L. Bean all weather coat. It’s hooddd and lined but a short cost. Hmmm, I seem to keep coats. I have a London Fog rain coat that’s a lovely shade of blue. The last item would be my great grandmothers evening shawl. It’s black silk and beautiful stitched with pearls and has. Deep fringe that is light and swings easily. I have worn it to some formal occasions. Unless it’s a cherished item, I pretty well wear my clothes out and discard them. These are all 70’s or much earlier.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Henley type shirt from the Disney store with Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, and Eeyore embroidered on it. I bought it when my daughter was a year old, when I bought some clothes for her there, and she's 27 yrs. old now. Love that shirt.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that would be my worn out cable knit sweater that used to belong to my great uncle. I don't remember him as he passed I think even before I was born, but my grandfather wore it then my mom and now me. It has a run in the wool, but I don't care I love that thing. It never gets worn out if the house though.