Question of the Day - Monday, July 25, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Hot last week of July. Typically this is the hottest time of year for us and its living up to expectations set by previous years. August will seems to be slightly cooler but humid. Either way; we’re working through the hottest part of the year. This question is a little inspired by heat induced grumpiness. ;)

When parking; do you prefer to back in, pull in and back out or find a spot you can pull completely forward in?

DH and I have always disagreed on this one. He even got reprimanded by a senior officer for it when he was in the military. (:rolleyes3: From what I remember his First Shirt didn’t actually care. :lol:) DH likes to back in. I do not like the motion of going backwards so I will almost always pull in and back out. I will pull forward all the way through the spots if I’m not doing something like grocery shopping where I need to access the trunk easily.

I’m ok backing myself out or even backing into my own driveway (where we have a turnaround spot). But gosh that feeling when someone else does is awful and don’t hold up other people! The other day some dude had to back in a spot and held everyone else up trying to get a spot. There were plenty of them; it just felt rude to make us wait. It feels more polite to wait to back out than to take more time pulling in.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the parking lot/parking space available...I'm fine backing in a spot and/or driving in/backing out. I do love when I find a spot that I can pull in forwards, thru to the spot on the other side, so when I leave I can pull out forward...just easier and faster.
I'm usually the type to park far away, I don't like dealing with other cars and pedestrians in parking lots...I swear people become angry impatient dinks...I don't get it...must be parking lot law or something...:dunno:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pulling through. Do it when I can.

I got good at backing into parking spots in a couple apartments because of the alley and telephone poles and it was much easier to get out going forward.

Most times I just do the pull in back out fine though.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever possible, I like to back in, as long as I'm not holding anyone up, but it seldom takes me so long that anyone should be annoyed, but there's always that one..........

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't matter to me as long as the back window faces the sun. I have my windows tinted as dark as the law allows, but the front windshield is not near what the back is. By facing my back window to the sun and putting up window shield screens in front, I can usually keep the inside of the car down to around 150° F.

This temp is not a joke, and yet people still leave their kids and pets inside the car.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pull through when I can. I usually pull in and back out. I have backing cameras on the car but I still pull in. I do like the camera for when I back out because I know how far I can back up. I know without the camera there were times when I pulled forward then backed up again to get out when it wasn't necessary. With the camera I can back up as far as possible without hitting another car. I haven't done the pull forward and backup again since I got a car with the camera.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Backing into a parking spot is my hubby's forte,not mine.When I drove,I just always pulled in and backed out upon leaving.I always refused to parallel park too.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pull in, back out, always!

One of my favourite things nowadays is to abuse my tiny car privileges and enact some petty revenge. This is specifically for people that don't know what the lines on parking lots are for. I'll park as close by as possible, squeezing that fiat panda in the narrowest spot. I've gotten pretty good at climbing to the passenger side door for when needed. It's my way or irritating a person that was being an a-hole :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we lived in the city you had to be able to parallel park so I became an expert at it. Now that I'm further out I prefer to face forward and pull through, it just makes things easier when I have to leave.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to pull all the way through. Seems safer than having to back up and faster if you need to leave in a hurry. The only time I don’t do that is when I know I am going to have to load the back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

One of my favourite things nowadays is to abuse my tiny car privileges and enact some petty revenge. This is specifically for people that don't know what the lines on parking lots are for. I'll park as close by as possible, squeezing that fiat panda in the narrowest spot. I've gotten pretty good at climbing to the passenger side door for when needed. It's my way or irritating a person that was being an a-hole :)
I will admit that I tend to park a little to the left because of my days loading car seats. Aleays still well within the lines though!! I don’t know how many times I had trouble getting my kids in their seats with the belts properly tightened and positioned because someone was too close to open my door properly. A few times I had to crawl in from another direction to get them in at all. And then I’d pull forward, get out and tighten properly. Once was at the orchard so there wasn’t traffic or much going on around us. Another time I was just a few weeks away from DS being born and I was beyond ticked. I had to rub my whole body against my car just to get in. I was sitting there fuming debating getting out and leaving a note when a woman just hopped up in her oversized truck and pulled out like it was nothing. Its a good thing I don’t swear! :lol:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not great on the terminology used... I get backing in, but I guess 'pulling in' just means going in front first? I'm not sure what "pull completely forward" means? Is this about shopping centres where the car parks are different to parking on the side of the road, or parallel parking on the side of the road? I'm confused. :think:

Edit.. I just worked it out I think.. it's to do with shopping centre parking, whether you back in or go in forwards, and if there's a spot available in front of you you go forward into that?
The places I park are usually on the side of the road, so this was really confusing. :lol:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to find a space I can pull all the way through. Barring that, I'd rather back in. Pulling into a space and backing out is the most dangerous. When I was working, one of the companies we worked for required you to back in when on their sites.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It might also be a way to get your car dented or scratched. The ones that irritate me are the idiots who figure their car is so precious they have to pull in at an angle over 2 spaces. Always thought it would be fun to get a couple old junkers and park on either side of it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Backing into a parking spot is my hubby's forte,not mine.When I drove,I just always pulled in and backed out upon leaving.I always refused to parallel park too.
It's the opposite with us. It takes hubby forever to back into a space, he has to keep going out and back in trying to get it straight and in the lines. I've got it worked out pretty good I can do it in one shot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might also be a way to get your car dented or scratched. The ones that irritate me are the idiots who figure their car is so precious they have to pull in at an angle over 2 spaces. Always thought it would be fun to get a couple old junkers and park on either side of it.
This is my pet peeve. I have even seen it in the garages downtown with paid parking. I only go downtown when I have jury duty and I have still seen it. They only issue tickets for the number of spots in the garage. Someone could get a ticket for that last spot then have nowhere to park because of idiots who think they need two spots. Of course there is an automatic minimum charge for just getting the ticket. The unlucky person who got that last ticket has nowhere to park and has to pay to get out of the garage.