Question of the Day - Monday, July 25, 2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not great on the terminology used... I get backing in, but I guess 'pulling in' just means going in front first? I'm not sure what "pull completely forward" means? Is this about shopping centres where the car parks are different to parking on the side of the road, or parallel parking on the side of the road? I'm confused. :think:

Edit.. I just worked it out I think.. it's to do with shopping centre parking, whether you back in or go in forwards, and if there's a spot available in front of you you go forward into that?
The places I park are usually on the side of the road, so this was really confusing. :lol:
There isn't much street parking here. Most places have a lot of some kind for parking. I just grabbed a random image off Google Maps. Funny enough you can see one car taking up 2 spots. Maybe it was in motion when they took the image. :lol: Some of my favorite lots have angled spaces and one direction traffic. It makes it much smoother to get in and out; except when a person pulls forward so they are angled the wrong way to pull out. Or they back in and again are at the wrong angle. :lol: Then there are the large vehicles taking up 2 but they are way at the back; which is the considerate thing to do if you've got a huge vehicle.
Parlking lot.jpg

I prefer to find a space I can pull all the way through. Barring that, I'd rather back in. Pulling into a space and backing out is the most dangerous. When I was working, one of the companies we worked for required you to back in when on their sites.
That's interesting because DH's company will reprimand them for backing more than whatever they've established as the minimum acceptable number for that area. They are all about preventing "avoidable accidents" which is basically everything. DH was on a narrow wooded country road and had a deer dart out that he hit. It didn't even damage the truck but they still called it avoidable. :dunno:

I've noticed I'm more aware of whats going on in the parking lot if I'm walking back to my car before pulling out. I've noticed if the store is busy, if there are kids just out of school, etc. When you are just pulling in your attention is on finding a spot and getting into it with all that other information secondary. If I'm loading my trunk with groceries; I notice if multiple cars are driving by or not.