Question of the Day, Friday, November 8

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to live down south where it's warm all year round, but that seems to be where the poisonous snakes & spiders, sharks, etc live. I'll probably just stay in NY.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to live down south where it's warm all year round, but that seems to be where the poisonous snakes & spiders, sharks, etc live. I'll probably just stay in NY.
A place like Atlanta would be fine for you. There's no winter - just a long fall that blends into an early spring, and a long summer, but not as hot as Florida. No poisonous snakes that I recall.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived in SC and Georgia my whole life (I'm 25). I'm an outdoorsy type- hiking, camping, general wood romping, fishing, being near lakes, etc. I just saw my first venomous snake (an absolutely stunning copperhead) this year.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw more poisonous spiders in Colorado (black widows) than in Florida. I've actually yet to see a poisonous snake or a poisonous spider here. I think I've seen 2 or 3 harmless snakes in 17 years.

It kinda gets cold here for a couple of weeks or so in winter. When I say cold, I mean our definition of cold which is anything below 70 degrees so mild to normal people. You might need a hoodie or such in the morning but will not need it after the sun comes up and it warms up. I usually don't bother with one when I go to work (5:30 AM) because the building will be warm and I keep a cardigan there. I also know that I won't need it when I leave in the afternoon. I don't own any winter clothes. I might turn the heat on 5 times a year but it's never on for a whole day.

I think you'd like it here. There are no real season changes here but if you are one of those people who like the whole season changing thing, you can always visit. When you leave, you'll leave those pesky leaves behind for someone else to rake up :thumbsup: .

We have summer and not quite summer. I'm perfectly fine with that. Fall is overrated. Those lovely colors on the trees eventually end up on the lawn and need to be raked up (as mentioned above). No thank you. It's a lot easier to pick up a few palm fronds than it is to rake up 5 million leaves that need to be bagged and dragged to the curb. I never liked fall even as a kid because fall is nothing more than winter's opening act. Other kids rejoiced when we had snow days. Not this kid. Snow days meant shoveling the driveway from :devilish: while freezing my butt off. We had these horrible, itchy wool caps that we had to wear and as many people know, you still sweat when doing manual labor in winter. Eventually, the hat would come off and get tossed onto the snow covered lawn. The SECOND that hat hit the snow, the upstairs window flew open and Mom would screech, "PUT THAT HAT ON!". She didn't hear us when we spoke to her in the same room yet somehow she always heard that hat hit the snow from anywhere in the house. :flail:

Is it very hot and humid here in the summer? Of course. For most people that really doesn't mean much. Look at it this way. Most people go from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car then to the air conditioned office, store, etc. IMO no sane person goes to the beach during the day. It's way too hot, way too crowded and there's that giant fireball in the sky that wants to burn and age people prematurely. The beach at night is amazing. The crowds are gone and the giant fireball is too. It's so serene and the sound of the waves is so much nicer without the sounds of screaming children to drown them out. Moonlight is soft and gentle and looks so beautiful on the dark water.

If you have people that live up there too, they can always use you as an excuse to visit during the winter because regardless of what people say, they want to get away from the winter and the freezing cold, snow and ice. Even for a little while. It gets old fast. It ain't all a Norman Rockwell painting of rosy cheeked cherubs bundled in their snowsuits frolicking in the snow with Fido while mom gazes out the window with a cup of Folger's in her hand. Lies. All lies. :cold:

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was born and grew up in NJ. I met my wife while I was in college and discovered she and I had grown up in the same town. We didn't know each other in high school, but I knew many of her fellow students (played in bands with them). We bought our first house in NJ, and after 5 years we moved to PA. We lived in NE PA for about 11 years, and then I was relocated to SE PA where we lived until I retired. We moved to NC a little over a year after I retired. Been here since 2007.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Born, raised and still live in Northern Ontario, Canada. We get all four seasons with an emphasis on winter, and they're bad. :(, Our summers are short, but they can be quite hot and humid. Spring and fall are very unpredictable. Sometimes we don't even have a "spring and fall" just 3 months of summer and 9 months of winter.
I actually live in the same neighborhood (only one street over) from where I had my childhood. Like my feline companions, I guess I'm not much for change!! :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Japan, mostly. The weather where we were was similar to that in Virginia. Humid all year, not too cold in the winter. I liked it. I wouldn't move back only because it's difficult for a gaijin to live out on the economy, but other than that I might consider it.

I like it here, mostly. Yes, the weather is extreme but as mentioned, unless you have an outdoor job it's mostly from your house to the car, from the car to the office, and back again. So it's not too bad.

Culturally I don't really fit in, except I do like that fashion and looks aren't very important here. I find that kind of thing to be obnoxious, and so I'd prefer to live in a place where people think you're fancy if you shop at Target instead of Walmart, rather than in a place where they judge you for not wearing Manolo Blahniks ;).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born and raised here in NE Ohio and live in the same city where I was born. I have lived
In Ft. Lauderdale Florida, Columbus, Ohio, Columbiana, Ohio, and Kent, Ohio. When I lived
in Columbiana, we were only 7 miles from the PA border so we spent a lot of time there, flew
out of Pittsburgh, concerts there and became Pirates Fans. They won the World Series in 1979
but we had moved to Florida. I got to watch the last innings of the game. Willie Stargell, loved him!!
(Also loved Roberto Clemente in the 70s, esp, the 71 World Series, even being an Cleveland Fan but who
didn't love him?)

I did move back, ha!! I wouldn't mind having a second home and enough money to visit my friend
in Oz and my Sis in Wales.💖
Mia6: Thank you for the video! Brought back so many good memories. I grew up in Erie, PA, and was a huge Pirates fan in 1979. That was such a fun series.

After I got married and left Erie in 1980, we lived in Connecticut briefly, then Columbus, OH. We've been in North Carolina (near Raleigh) for over 25 years now. It's okay here but I do miss Erie.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spent five years living in a northern suburb of Athens, Greece, and they were some of the best years of my life... Mediterranean climate, semi-rural suburb with many wildlife corridors, abandoned farmhouses, fruit orchards, an old sawmill, a stream running through a small canyon behind our home, all kinds of places for kids to explore after school. In those days (1968-1973), Greece was an absolute paradise for Americans living overseas, the cost of living was ridiculously low and our military family had commissary & PX privileges, plus the American Club was only a few short blocks away. Swimming pool and JUSMAG Theater at the club, the flicks were only a QUARTER!!! Our home had awesome trees for climbing and building tree forts, we would be up there too, WAY off the deck... it's a miracle that none of us ever fell and broke his neck, LOL. I remember those years with great fondness, but I wouldn't want to go back there now... Greece has changed along with most of Europe, and not for the better, the old days were much more mellow. Back then, it was all about enjoying life in an uncrowded paradise, and that's the way I want to remember it... :yess:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spent five years living in a northern suburb of Athens, Greece, and they were some of the best years of my life... Mediterranean climate, semi-rural suburb with many wildlife corridors, abandoned farmhouses, fruit orchards, an old sawmill, a stream running through a small canyon behind our home, all kinds of places for kids to explore after school. In those days (1968-1973), Greece was an absolute paradise for Americans living overseas, the cost of living was ridiculously low and our military family had commissary & PX privileges, plus the American Club was only a few short blocks away. Swimming pool and JUSMAG Theater at the club, the flicks were only a QUARTER!!! Our home had awesome trees for climbing and building tree forts, we would be up there too, WAY off the deck... it's a miracle that none of us ever fell and broke his neck, LOL. I remember those years with great fondness, but I wouldn't want to go back there now... Greece has changed along with most of Europe, and not for the better, the old days were much more mellow. Back then, it was all about enjoying life in an uncrowded paradise, and that's the way I want to remember it... :yess:
Yes, Greece was really nice- I was in Athens back in '69, and met Lloyd Bridges down in the flea market, even- and the beer was cheap, and I still have some drachmas from then.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was born in SW Virginia, but my family moved to central Ohio when I was six, so that's where I grew up. Beautiful little college town, but I never went back after I graduated from college. I recently made a list of every apartment, townhouse, and house I've lived in (not counting my college years in dorms and apartments), and it totals 25. I've moved a LOT!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Born and raised in NY in a little town on the Hudson River.Typical winters for the area and the summers on the river were sometimes stagnant and so hot and humid...but as kids it was just another day.Back in the day it was a great place to live and raise kids...we always had things to do that didn't get us into trouble.Now...not so much from what I hear.We would never move back,pure and simple.Missouri is our home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I was born in Brighton, UK, but moved around a lot. I lived in Manchester, The Lake District, Cheshire, Bristol and Bath as a child, then started travelling further away when I left home.

I always seem to end up somewhere cold and wet. I don't know why, I guess I'm cursed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overseas military dependent life was idyllic no matter where you lived, it seems. Real life was not allowed to intervene, lol. I wonder if it's still like that for military brats.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Tasmania until I was 17. I love it.. it's a wonderful place. I've moved around a lot and now am in a place where it's warm, so I don't think I could go back to Hobart to live. But I do think it's one of the best places on earth. :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6: Thank you for the video! Brought back so many good memories. I grew up in Erie, PA, and was a huge Pirates fan in 1979. That was such a fun series.

After I got married and left Erie in 1980, we lived in Connecticut briefly, then Columbus, OH. We've been in North Carolina (near Raleigh) for over 25 years now. It's okay here but I do miss Erie.
Glad you liked it. I've heard Raleigh is nice!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in Montreal and lived there for a couple of years, but also lived in....

Finland
Russia
Hong Kong
Japan
Nova Scotia, Canada

With various and regular inbetween business trips, to India, Thailand, Hawaii, England etc On account of my father's career at the time. It would be a long story, but some places I'd like to revisit and other places I wouldn't have an interest to do so. Especially Saudi Arabia. Horrible horrible country.

Weather varying of course!

And now currently reside in Ontario! I am really happy here.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in central London for my very early years, in Kensington (before it got too expensive!). I don't remember much of it but when I've been back to my old neighbourhood (my godparents still live there, so we often go and visit them) I get bummed at the fact it's gotten so pricey now, however the area has also become more dangerous due to the rise in knife crime here in the city - a few months ago there was a stabbing in my old road, so I'm pretty glad in hindsight that I moved out, and on top of that I also caught pneumonia and had regular chest infections from the pollution levels.
We moved to the Bexley area in the suburbs, which is where I still live now. It's pretty safe here (and not "the armpit of England" as James Corden suggested! :biggrin:) but it's rather dull and not terribly scenic. Most people who live here are living temporarily as a family or a retired individual so it's not really the sort of place where people permanently settle. I'd love to live in one of the villages deeper in Kent as I much prefer the countryside to the city.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up in northern Indiana - we moved around til I was 12 and then stayed in a TINY town halfway between Indianapolis and Chicago. I hated it - if you walked 5 minutes in any direction you were in cornfields. It was so small there was not even a McDonalds. Nothing to do and everything was 30 minutes away (doctors, groceries etc.). I remember trick or treating and going to Easter sunrise service both in the snow.

I say I am technically a Southerner since I was born in Louisville while my father was in the seminary. I got kidnapped up north and it took me 21 years to escape back down south. I HATE cold. In GA, we have a mild winter, just cold enough to wear sweaters a couple months, then the daffodils come up in March (sometimes in mid-Feb.) Summers are hot, but we have AC. Then a mild fall with beautiful tree colors.

If I did not have family there, I would not ever go back up north.