Question After Spay?

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After spay do most vets give a 10 day course of amoxicillin? I am having difficulty getting the liquid from syringe into my kitten...I have to do it myself & she is stubborn. I don’t remember having to give antibiotics after spay, but its been a long time since we had one done. Thx.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Responses 2 and 4 on this thread: Are Antibiotics Necessary After A Spay? are very helpful.

Pilling a cat can be tricky at times. This article gives a good description of the technique: How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat

Alternatively, you can try offering her the pill in a pill pocket, or you can ask your vet if it would be ok for you to crush the pill and give it to her with wet food. Some cats will eat the pill this way.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did not, but I've just had my one kitten go through it. Did they say she was sick? Was she a rescue that was found outside or anything? If she's already started on it I would keep going just in case, I know generally if you start an antibiotic but don't finish the course you can get more sick later. How many more days do you have left of it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not, but I've just had my one kitten go through it. Did they say she was sick? Was she a rescue that was found outside or anything? If she's already started on it I would keep going just in case, I know generally if you start an antibiotic but don't finish the course you can get more sick later. How many more days do you have left of it?
She is indoor only & our only pet. They said nothing about why at the vet’s nust sent home with instructions to give it for 10 days. It’s day 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never come home with antibiotics after a spay on any of my girl kitties. Honestly, if you're having issues with it, I would stop it. If you notice the incision getting infected, then you can start it back up.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would talk to your vet before stopping. If she is sick, and you stop the meds, the bacteria or whatever is more likely to build up immunity to the antibiotics, and then they won't work if you resume them later.