Are Antibiotics Necessary After A Spay?

RN06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all,
Just curious on your thoughts about antibiotics after a kitten spay. My Delilah is 5 months old. She was feral until I took her in at about 6-8 weeks. She has had all of her vaccinations, done by a mobile vet who came to my home due to her being so wild. She was spayed yesterday and I was sent home with antibiotics. I am finding it impossible to get them into her. She goes wild when I try to catch her. It is stressing both of us out. I am just now (after 3 months of blood, sweat and tears) gaining her trust and will be "graced" with a leg rub and some head pets. But I can't get this antibiotic into her and am afraid of stressing out her surgery site. The last closure layer has staples (I refused stitches as I've had problems in the past) and looks beautiful. Just wondering if ya'll feel the antibiotics are really necessary. The vet said nothing about any issues and I'm seeing most are sent home without them!
Thanks SO much

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general, perioperative antibiotics for spay surgery aren't necessary unless the procedure was extended past the clean zone (more then two hours), or unless the cat is known to be immunodeficient - unless there was an "incident" in the operating theatre which severely compromised your cat's well-being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RN06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In general, perioperative antibiotics for spay surgery aren't necessary unless the procedure was extended past the clean zone (more then two hours), or unless the cat is known to be immunodeficient - unless there was an "incident" in the operating theatre which severely compromised your cat's well-being.
Thank you. Hope the vet would come clean if either were the case!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, antibiotics are highly recommended after any surgery in animals just in case the manage to get any dirt or whatever in the affected area. However, knowing that your kitty is still working on trusting humans, your vet should have given her a shot of antibiotics which can last for several days without anything else to be done. At least, here in Spain vets suggest this option for cats who are hard to handle or who won't eat a medicine desguised as a treat.