question about maine coons

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of us are Hills fans, but believe us the AD works and that's what your girl needs right now - along with the vet check and tests

While I'm not familiar with 9 lives, cats don't tend to lose that much weight from eating cheap supermarket foods - they still survive

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not buying hills its basicaly junk food
Mewlittle, I agree that Hills is not the best food to be feeding all the time. I would never use it except in dire circumstances.

A/D is a short term solution to getting the weight on in a way the cat will readily take to.  It is not a long term diet.  If you had a starving kid who refused to eat, but they would eat McDonalds readily, would you refuse to give them McDonalds? 

Please at least give it a try for the sake of your cat before refusing sound advice.  I always have a few cans on hand, just in case one of mine stops eating for some reason.  You never want a cat to go without food for more than a day, it is very very harmful to their liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of us are Hills fans, but believe us the AD works and that's what your girl needs right now - along with the vet check and tests
While I'm not familiar with 9 lives, cats don't tend to lose that much weight from eating cheap supermarket foods - they still survive
i found out after i got her back he would feed her ever other day only half 5.5 oz and do you have to have  rx to get AD?

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i found out after i got her back he would feed her ever other day only half 5.5 oz and do you have to have  rx to get AD?
Oh, that is not good at all.  

You don't need an RX, but you will need to get it from the vet's office.  It won't be out with the other food, they keep it in the back typically.  Just ask for some a/d they will give (ha ha sell) it to you.  I'm almost surprised the vet hasn't recommended it to get her weight up.

Since your cat was starved by this person, you really should seriously consider getting a blood panel taken to see what damage has been done to vital organs,  Armed with that information you can treat her accordingly.

Your cat should gobble up the a/d with out any coaxing or force feeding.  BTW, It's an excellent food to admin. via syringe to her mouth as well, if she is still refusing to eat.  Once she gets her appetite back, she should start eating on her own again.  The a/d you will find will accomplish this and put the weight back on. 

Again, this is short term until she gets better!  Good luck and keep us posted!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the blood work. Only being fed a half a can, every other day? The poor little girl! People infuriate me. I just don't understand why anyone would treat an trusting innocent animal in such a way. She really should have a blood profile done. Her liver may be in trouble.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the blood work. Only being fed a half a can, every other day? The poor little girl! People infuriate me. I just don't understand why anyone would treat an trusting innocent animal in such a way. She really should have a blood profile done. Her liver may be in trouble.
sometimes my vets in my area sucks and no he did not and thanks and will keep you updated

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not to sound like a broken record, this thread has also been edited.

Again, a reminder of a particular part of the guidelines for the Breeders Forum:

Nor is it appropriate to try and belittle someone or otherwise try to flame them for something they have posted.
Some of our members have a wealth of information to be shared with new members. For some reason this information is being shared in a sarcastic, belittling manner. :dk: If your goal is to educate new members, a helpful tone would be appreciated. If you find it impossible to do so, don't bother posting.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor baby kitty... That is not fair. That is cruelty. Slow starvation... What a monster.

I think you should talk to your vet and make sure to get documentation of the cat's condition, and then turn the person in for animal cruelty. It is illegal to starve a cat like that, and he should be held accountable.

Sending lots of vibes for kitty's appetite to come back. Is she at least drinking enough? Will she lick the juice off wet cat food, or perhaps drink cat milk or kitten milk replacement?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor baby kitty... That is not fair. That is cruelty. Slow starvation... What a monster.

I think you should talk to your vet and make sure to get documentation of the cat's condition, and then turn the person in for animal cruelty. It is illegal to starve a cat like that, and he should be held accountable.

Sending lots of vibes for kitty's appetite to come back. Is she at least drinking enough? Will she lick the juice off wet cat food, or perhaps drink cat milk or kitten milk replacement?
my animal crontrol down here wont do anything about animal abuse and my vets are kinda the same way and I see her drink water but no she wont lap up milk or the juice of the wet she is driving me nuts

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Tried warming the food up a bit? It smells more appetizing to some cats that way. If you microwave it, make sure there aren't any hot spots she could burn her tongue on.

Do you know what brand of food her last owner fed her (when he bothered to feed her at all)? Perhaps she will try some of that. Once she is eating again, she can be switched to something healthier.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Tried warming the food up a bit? It smells more appetizing to some cats that way. If you microwave it, make sure there aren't any hot spots she could burn her tongue on.

Do you know what brand of food her last owner fed her (when he bothered to feed her at all)? Perhaps she will try some of that. Once she is eating again, she can be switched to something healthier.
he feed her 9lives and I really don't want to buy it since I went grain free cat food in my house and no I can try it later I heard some cats like it but I heard microwavs kills the nutrition in the cat food hmm

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will since I cant get A/D at a pet store or online >vet to far to drive< i could pick up some 9lives and Hills and Hills kitten and try it on her and a couple more brands

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really this isn't the time to worry about grain free or how far away the vet is

Your cat has lost a terrible amount of weight and needs action ASAP

Whether from being starved, or not being spayed (entire girls can find it hard to retain condition)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good point. When I rescued Olivia, after she had been starved by my neighbor, she was in poor condition partly because she had been unspayed and forced to go through heat over and over again. Once she gained some weight, she was spayed, and apparently she got much better thereafter (she moved to a no-kill shelter after she was on her way to recovery). Your vet's probably right about it not being safe to spay such an underweight cat, though. Waiting until she hits seven pounds makes sense.

Don't worry about what she's eating right now. Just so she's eating something. Even the junkiest food in the world will help her. Even people food, if that's what she'll eat. Sometimes you can tempt them with tuna or cooked chicken, or meat baby food.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good point. When I rescued Olivia, after she had been starved by my neighbor, she was in poor condition partly because she had been unspayed and forced to go through heat over and over again. Once she gained some weight, she was spayed, and apparently she got much better thereafter (she moved to a no-kill shelter after she was on her way to recovery). Your vet's probably right about it not being safe to spay such an underweight cat, though. Waiting until she hits seven pounds makes sense.

Don't worry about what she's eating right now. Just so she's eating something. Even the junkiest food in the world will help her. Even people food, if that's what she'll eat. Sometimes you can tempt them with tuna or cooked chicken, or meat baby food.
I'm broke at this moment i'm getting money real soon the same day on getting paid im going to go to petco and pick up hills adult hills kitten 9lives and a couple of other brands to get her to eat if she dont eat any of the brands i'll try then i will get her to the vet like i said im broke i'm never broke first time getting broke -_- so broke didnt even have thanksgiving if it was last oct i would have done both

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps best to turn her over to a rescue, this cat needs urgent care and vet work

It's quite cruel not to provide those very basic needs

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are often overcrowded and cannot take any more cats--but a rescue is still worth a try. Mewlittle, do try calling local rescues. Maybe one of them can help you. They may not have any space, but they might be able to connect you with a vet that could help, or at the very least give you some tips on how to help this cat yourself. If they say they can't help, ask them for contacts--"Who else might be able to help me and my cat?"--and then call those people too.

I know what it is like not to be able to give your cat an ideal home because you are barely eating enough yourself. Before I got food stamps I often found myself rationing my food so that they could have theirs, and glad that I'm heavy enough not to be too bothered by a few days of uncomfortably small meals before I could get to the food pantry. Often times, it's the people who have been through tough times themselves who have the most sympathy for animals in trouble. You just have to give what you can give, get creative, ask for help. Don't be ashamed to ask for help, either for yourself or for the cat--that's what a community is there for; supporting each other. Think out of the box; don't throw an idea away just because it sounds unusual or isn't what you would usually do. You can get yourself and your cat through this. Promise.

Last edited: