Question about how to progress with socializing semi feral

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had my semi feral girl for a year now. We have definitely made progress she will eat right next to me, roll around on her back right next to me and show me her belly, etc. I have tried all of the tricks I have learned on this site to attempt to pet her. I put treats next to my outstretched fist and she will get so close that her head has bumped my hand, but with and attempt to advance my hand closer to her she runs away. I guess my question is how do i move forward from hereto? Do I attempt to touch her head while she is distracted eating even if she runs when she sees me moving towards her or do I listen to her cues and stop there?

She has also started recently head bumping and rubbing her face on all the dining room chairs and under the table while staring at me when I am sitting on the floor with her. Is this any kind of progress or is this just something cats do? Thank you in advance

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I wouldn’t reach out and try to touch her. Here’s the process I went through with my semi feral girl, Mocha:
Semi feral cat adoption... help!

The brush really became a big hit. I’d hold it out without moving, and she’d rub her face against it, essentially brushing herself. That might appeal to your kitty (what’s her name??) given the fact that she’s rubbing on furniture while watching you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea and it is encouraging to read your story and how far Mocha has come! Would you recommend I leave the brush on the floor at first to let her sniff it out or should I just go right to holding it? I think I was being more like your husband and getting ahead of myself :lol: I need more patience to let her come to me.

My girls name is Eddie. I named her when I first started seeing her in my backyard. I thought she was a boy until the day she brought her kittens to me, but the name stuck. I tried to catch a picture of her rolling around being silly while I was trying to give her a treat

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, my gosh! Eddie is so cute! I love tuxedos. And she looks quite relaxed so that’s really positive. It really does take tremendous patience. You can try sitting in the floor and holding the brush out at arm’s length. She may come up to sniff and after awhile, she might rub against it. Just hold it still and let her do the work. I think the fact that she’s rubbing on the chairs and watching you is a good sign. Small steps!

Even after four and a half years, Mocha will sometimes flinch and dart away a few feet if we move too quickly. And I still can’t pick her up although she loves to get in my lap and loves to be petted. So there are certain behaviors that are so ingrained from past experiences that they’ll always retain them. Keep working with Eddie and let us know how she’s doing!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have tried all of the tricks I have learned on this site to attempt to pet her. I put treats next to my outstretched fist and she will get so close that her head has bumped my hand, but with and attempt to advance my hand closer to her she runs away. I guess my question is how do i move forward from hereto? Do I attempt to touch her head while she is distracted eating even if she runs when she sees me moving towards her or do I listen to her cues and stop there?
Eddie has made tremendous progress in the past year. Eating next to you, rolling on his back and exposing his tummy shows great confidence in you but in the back of his mind, many things are running through and he is still not very sure as to put his 100% trust in you and therefore he's staring at you when you are seated on the floor.

His bumping your fist is good but one way is to shorten your stretch so that he is nearer to you and this lets you to stretch your arm a little further without much movements.

While he's head bumping your fist, let him bump as long as he wants and while his head is facing away from your fist while bumping it, you move your fist as though as it's another cat's head and your fist is head bumping his head in the same manner with little twisting of your wrist. At the same time, just move your fist along his face towards beneath his ear. Do this several times a day till he gets use to it and from there you venture further inching your way on his side and top of his body.

Always approach him with a clenched fist and and let him make the first move. Once he's used to your fist stroking him, next is while stroking him with your fist, slowly open up your fist after you've past his ears and stroke his side or back with the back of your palm. Once this is achieved, stroke his face with the back of your palm and once you past his ears, stroke him gently with you palm. All this motion will help him get use to the different strokes and feel of your hand.

You can try the same method while he's eating too but only do it very gently and at the same time reassuring him so that his trust level will be up. If he doesn't like it while he's eating, then stop doing else he'll get too tense up and the procedure will take a longer time. Never betray his trust.

Just remember, don't rush into it and observe his body language. Love, patience and routine rules the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I will definitely try this as well! I took out the brush today and I was surprised at how quickly she came to sniff it... she ran away right after but it was still quick for her normally she is more cautious with new things. So I will keep at it thank you for these suggestions!