Pumpkin for diarrhea?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I searched the forums & found an alternative remedy to diarrhea. Pumpkin. I want to be sure I am giving it properly. What sort of pumpkin(I read pure, not pie filler)-Can you be any more specific?? How much do I give the kitties & how often? How long before I should see some results?

I have already had a stool sample analyzed(negative for everything). Right now, I am giving them Eagle Pack's natural remedy for diarrhea & upset stomachs. It seems to help a little. All 3 kitties are acting fine, so I think it is just stress. I dog sat a Rat Terrier last week & am dog sitting again this week(I wasn't really given an option). This stressed Ophie & Lily most & they are the ones with diarrhea(not much, though).

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pure Pack pumpkin, the ingredients on the can should read pumpkin, nothing else.

All you need is a couple tablespoons and mix it with their food.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get the Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin in an orange can. Some of my cats love it & some hate it & won't touch it.

I don't mix it with the food, I just plop down a spoon full on a plate. You shouldn't feed them too much, you still want them to eat their cat food. One teaspoon to one tablespoon a day is enough.

For help with hairballs you can give them the pumpkin about 3 times a week.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just posted in your other thread too..pumpkin is good, and when things settle down a bit you can try plain yogurt to reset the bacteria in their guts (or ask the vet for probiotic paste...worked wonders on my two!)

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I searched the forums & found an alternative remedy to diarrhea. Pumpkin. I want to be sure I am giving it properly. What sort of pumpkin(I read pure, not pie filler)-Can you be any more specific?? How much do I give the kitties & how often? How long before I should see some results?

I have already had a stool sample analyzed(negative for everything). Right now, I am giving them Eagle Pack's natural remedy for diarrhea & upset stomachs. It seems to help a little. All 3 kitties are acting fine, so I think it is just stress. I dog sat a Rat Terrier last week & am dog sitting again this week(I wasn't really given an option). This stressed Ophie & Lily most & they are the ones with diarrhea(not much, though).
It's great that the fecal exams came out negative for parasites, but be aware that giardia (my kitten has this) is hard to detect. I had 2 fecals done more than a week apart on my kitten, and it only showed on the second exam. Many times it can take more than two fecals before it shows. I'm not sure if your kitties go outside, but even if they don't, the dog you had over last week could have brought it over. Keep an eye on the kitties and if the pumpkin doesn't help, you may want to take them back in. Besides the diarrhea, blood smears on the stools, loss of appetite, or appetite with no weight gain, possible vomiting, and dehydration are more symptoms of the giardia. Kitties may show some, none, or all of the symptoms. Sorry if I worried you, I just don't want anyone else (kitty included) to go through what we are still going through with our kitty. Hopefully your kitties will be good as new in no time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give just a couple spoonfuls of pure raw pumpkin or plain/vanilla yogurt. You only need a tiny bit. Some cats won't like it plain so you have to mix it in with their food. This should not be something to do if the diarrhea is long term. Don't let it go untreated by a vet for a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You can give just a couple spoonfuls of pure raw pumpkin or plain/vanilla yogurt. You only need a tiny bit. Some cats won't like it plain so you have to mix it in with their food. This should not be something to do if the diarrhea is long term. Don't let it go untreated by a vet for a long time.
I have the Rat Terrier at my house again all this week(there wasn't much of an option there). So, that isn't helping things get better, but the stools of all 3 cats have definately gotten a little more solid. I checked all 3 for dehydration, & just in case, I printed out the recipe for home made pedialite.

sphynxkitten, I know of the symptoms of giardia from volunteering at the HS & that was my first concern. While it is unlikely, it is still possible that the fosters picked up & brought home giardia from the HS. I keep hoping not.

I want to try the pumpkin, & if there isn't any improvement by Friday, I will take all 3 cats to the vet. I actually have to buy a 3rd carrier today as Twitch & Lily no longer fit in the same one.

For how many days should I give them the pumpkin? Should I give it to them every day to see if it helps with the stools, or is it a one time thing?