Pumpkin Face Older Now=more Problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I couldn't find the needle/syringe for 18 gauge-only 22 gauge..I think I remember my vet saying there's a shortage of certain sizes/brands..grrrrr. I have 4 left in Floey's box that I can use but I really hate large needles..

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The higher the number, the thinner the barrel is .... so the 18 gauge will be much thicker than a 21 or 22....

The 20 gauge Terumo needles are not being manufactured anymore. I use the 21 for sub-q's.. I began with the 18 gauge thin walled.. but went to a smaller diameter (21)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used G21 when I did the sub-Qs to Lola and noticed it was the best choice and compromise between the feeling it gives when stuck under the skin and the flow of fluid allowed.
The G23 needle was even thinner, less painful, but the flow was so slow that a sub-Q lasted hours!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are right. I got an email back. I messed up-they claim these needles are smaller-but I wrote back-I didn't read the package of the old needles-just compared the size. I found a site where I can buy 10 needles without a script so I will just do that since I have 4 needles left. I won't use those humongous ones. Those 22 are good for sub fluids but for injecting a tiny bit of fluids I would think smaller would be better. Looks like I ticked off the clinic staff and all I did was ask a question..and people wonder why I just go elsewhere for supplies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we are 10 days later and she's still sick-not worse-not better-but she's eating up a storm and taking her pills like a good girl. We have decided to add tobramycin to the meds=so the ointment they said do it every 12 hours. same as drops=so try to get something in there every 3 to 4 hours if possible. During the day it's not possible but at night I use both. She's still sneezing but slept in the sun yesterday all day. This warm weather is good for her moral lately. She just loves to be outside in the sunshine. Plus she watches birds, mice, squirrels, bugs you name it.

She's doing good with her puffs=doesn't like the mask but tolerates it. So for now status quo. Tomorrow is her adequan injection which I will try the 22G needle to see if there's less pain than the 25g needle. She still limps right when she first gets up but once she's moving-she can roam around pretty good. At 14 I don't expect her to run marathons anymore...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's what I was thinking but someone said that the 25G isn't sharp enough to get through their tough skin. The vet said they use 22G...sometimes it's bigger but if it hurts less because it's able to penetrate their tough skin it may be better...I will try it. They will let me get some smaller ones I think. They offered to have me stop over if I am still confused-not sure if that means they will give me 25G...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following your thread, I have no experience with what you are going through but none the less, am keeping you and pumps in my thoughts and prayers. :vibes::vibes::vibes:Here's to better days!!:sunshine::sunshine:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's what I was thinking but someone said that the 25G isn't sharp enough to get through their tough skin. The vet said they use 22G...sometimes it's bigger but if it hurts less because it's able to penetrate their tough skin it may be better...I will try it. They will let me get some smaller ones I think. They offered to have me stop over if I am still confused-not sure if that means they will give me 25G...
Needles with the same sizes can be not equally sharp. It depends on the brand.
I always used G23 for sub-Qs (butterfly needles), but depending on what brand the pharmacy had in stock I had more or less difficulty to do the injections, and subsequently Lola would feel more or less pain.
When I found the right one I never switched to another brand.
Terumo should be the best ever.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 unfortunately they didn't have Terumo available. I have 2 left of 25G that are Terumo brand. The other ones are some blue color. I know Terumo is green or at least the package is green colored...Hopefully it won't hurt too bad-evidently when they vaccinate them the 22G is what they use...

mazie mazie thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. :thumbsup::loveeyes::itslove:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 unfortunately they didn't have Terumo available. I have 2 left of 25G that are Terumo brand. The other ones are some blue color. I know Terumo is green or at least the package is green colored...Hopefully it won't hurt too bad-evidently when they vaccinate them the 22G is what they use...
The colors you see are the package or the needle?
Blue is the color for the G22, green is for G21, orange for G25. Can't you order them online? Some pharmacies could also order them for you.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
due to dumb laws I need a script to order needles online. Each state is different. They don't have any issues with giving me a script.

The package is green..the needle is def smaller than 22G. it should be a 25G. I will read it tonight.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
due to dumb laws I need a script to order needles online. Each state is different. They don't have any issues with giving me a script.

The package is green..the needle is def smaller than 22G. it should be a 25G. I will read it tonight.
I wonder whether ordering abroad you can bypass the dumb laws?
Or, even better, of they can give you a script you will be able to order them online and pick the best ones ;)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes I can order online but I won't need 100 needles..so I just buy a few from them. There's two clinics that work together-I can always get some at the other clinic. It's almost like they bought the cheapest ones and the other clinic has better ones. I prefer the ones in a sterile sealed package than loose in a box.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well they have a case they are inside. it's hard to explain. there's a clear container over the syringe.-it's sealed. you have to break the seal to open them. The ones I prefer have a paper/plastic envelope over them which are also sterile. They take up less room in the drawer which is why I like those better. The needles all come with a safety cover over the tip. Sealed.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they normally come 100 to a box-I don't need 100. I only need 10. Allivet allows 10 to be purchased without a script-but the shipping kills you. $7! :eek::eek::eek: so it comes out to be $10 for them when I can buy them direct at the vet for like 50 cents a piece...just such a hassle buying items online-often they come preboxed to a particular quanitity which is what I was trying to avoid=I don't want to have extra needles laying around taking up room in my medical cabinet. I have a clear cabinet plastic bins for all my first aid/medical supplies...it used to be 1 drawer. Now it's 3 draws not including the fluids in the bag I have to hang off a pole. :dunno:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably I am a bit dumb, you mean that this clear container may contain more than one item?
However, all needles/syringes I have ever bought come in a sealed and sterile plastic/paper envelope.
Each envelope contains one item.

EDIT: When I'm home I'll take a photo of what I have and I will post it ;)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes each clear case has 1 syringe/needle with safety cover over needle. and yes they are all sterile-you have to break the seal on these clear case ones..let me see if I can find it online..the paper kind you peal the paper to break the seal-takes up less room.