Pumpkin Face Older Now=more Problems.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm home, it's nearly 7pm over here :)
I'm attaching a photo with four different items that I have at home.
A 50/60 ml syringe without needle that I use for the Sub-Qs, a G21 (green) butterfly needle, a G18 (pink) standard needle and a 1 ml syringe with needle.
They all come in single sealed paper and plastic envelope.

IMG_20171020_185549.jpg

EDIT: all of them can be purchased off the counter in any pharmacy. The big syringe is about 1.80 euro, the butterfly needle is 0.30 euro, the standard one is 0.10 euro, the 1 ml syringe is about 0.15 euro.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yep we can purchase them in the pharmacy, at the vet or online but still need the script. Crazy isn't it?! Yes I prefer the paper sealed needles instead of the plastic case-sometimes they jam and dont' twist off and the vet tech said to just slam it against the table to pop it off-umm no I don't want to damage the needle even though it's got it's own cover...than goodness the injections go to 1 a week after Saturday.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of you and Pumps..

Yes, needles are very confusing. If we lived closer, we could split a box of them.
I do not need a script for them. I get the Terumo needles. I have the 19 gauge and the 21 gauge. The 21 gauge are harder to get through the adhesions, and take a while to flow in 100 cc..

The 19 are larger diameter, yet they seem to provide a better result. Artie does seem to feel it a bit, but he gets used to it in a few seconds.

The Terumo's are really sharp and thin walled.

sending more :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for Pumpkin...:hugs: to you..

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I never got the notification for your post!!! Thank you for the offer!! I don't think I will need any for now...

I found out why pumps hisses-evidently I wasn't parting her hair enough when I was giving the injections-this time I made sure to part the thick hair and get skin bare-this morning is injection #2 of no hissing-no jumping either-yay mom!

I took the needles back=evidently they gave me the wrong ones-the 22G were in increments of 1/2 ml instead of .1ml. so I was unable to give exact dose of Adequan. They gave me Terumo 25G which is perfect-because the med dose is so small-we don't need 3ml dose needles.

When giving sub fluids yes a larger needle is better-you don't want the flow to take forever and their skin is tough from what I was told by the vet techs.

We finished up the 5 days of Zithromax last week-her eye was very weepy and she was feeling yucky. I wish they would have given the antibiotics when I first asked..she went 6 days of not having the proper medication. so for now she gets one more dose in 48 hours-they had me do 5 days then one every 72 hours for 3 times.

Her eye looks so much better-still a bit irritated so I put the ointment in her eye twice a day as vet said-which I thought it was every 4 hours but hey I won't argue. I got the terrymycin in the mail shortly after-so it will be in the cabinet for the next bout. She's doing well on daily pred-still stiff walking when first get up but seems to feel better..

eating good-and trying to cut back on kibble but I don't want Honeybee to loose anymore weight since she's now 9.4 instead of 10.5. Shes very hyper and told Jon to go ahead and feed treats-she can afford to gain half a pound or so. So hard with multi cat homes..lol.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am really glad Pumps is feeling better... funny, I have been wanting to ask about her, but remember it when I was off line!! MY OLD AGE!!!!

keep us updated.... anytime for the offer....
((hugs))

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Figured I would update-

She's been fighting a cold for a few weeks.
Vet had me up her pred to 2.5mg a day back in September.
She's also on 25 mg Nerve meds-gabapentin every other day
2 capsules of Dasquin every morning-which is how I get her meds into her.

Oh and she's on once a month injections of Adequan which she is due this Sunday=gulp. She really hates injections-At least I am quick and no nonsense now=so it's over before she can bite me-I may have the vet tech give them-she doesn't seem to mind when they do it- so I think if we bring her in I will bring the vial in with needle and they can give the injection along with blood work.

This morning she's got nausea-she was hiding under the bed-been more common lately..I put treats down to get her out-thought she threw up because there were wet marks on the carpet where I put the treats-it was just her trying to lick the carpet to pick up the treats-gave her tuna under bed-she licks a few times then turns away. So I went to take a shower and came back-she was now out from under the bed-gave her meds, then she walked into the library where she knows her breakfast is - only took a few licks. This happens once in a blue moon so I added Pepcid AC into her regimen.

I have Cerenia still-if she doesn't eat tonight I will give her that and get her set up with appointment at vets for blood work and check up-she eats treats all the time-Jon says she's always eating kibble-so I don't think it's time to panic. she's almost 15 now. Been on pred for 3 years. And without the pred she would be hurting alot worse-we may have to bump up to 5 mg because a month after upping to daily 2.5 it seemed she was getting pain again but I understand the risks with pred but at this stage-she's older and horrible arthritis I just can't see taking her off of the pred if it's helping keep her mobile.

She went outside yesterday to sit on the deck-so she's still doing cat things. Plays when we are all asleep. Sleeps next to Jon all day while he's on the couch watching TV.

I wish they had orthopedic surgery for cats like they do for us. To pull out those chips of bone would make her life so much better but feline orthopedic surgery just isn't there yet. She would need her front elbows, knees and hips all scoped. I think if we could figure out a way to do this surgery-my cat would be so much more comfortable. But they want her to loose weight-it's hard to loose weight if one can't move freely around...maybe in 20 years we will start doing ortho scoping for our animals like we do for humans...one can dream.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish they had orthopedic surgery for cats like they do for us. To pull out those chips of bone would make her life so much better but feline orthopedic surgery just isn't there yet. She would need her front elbows, knees and hips all scoped. I think if we could figure out a way to do this surgery-my cat would be so much more comfortable. But they want her to loose weight-it's hard to loose weight if one can't move freely around...maybe in 20 years we will start doing ortho scoping for our animals like we do for humans...one can dream.
I think I haven't understood this passage.
Orthopedic surgery is already available for pets, with the same technologies and equipment as for humans.
It can be expensive, of course, but there is.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I haven't understood this passage.
Orthopedic surgery is already available for pets, with the same technologies and equipment as for humans.
It can be expensive, of course, but there is.
Yes surgery is available to fix problems-but they don't do scoping of arthritis yet. They do fix knees/broken bones etc. But as far as just going in to buzz away the arthritis-I have to do some research-the last vet we saw said they wouldn't consider pumpkin for surgery unless she looses 3 lbs and well even with measuring of food daily she still hasn't lost any weight-I told Jon not to over feed her=but man I wish I could find a doctor who would say yes we can do this-but recovery would be hard on her-cage rest isn't an option. Good thing she sleeps most days. She probably will be ok-it's just alot to put her through. Plus with her wheezy lungs they wouldn't give her a dental workup. Said they don't recommend she goes under surgery=so no I don't think we will see this done in her lifetime.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent an email to my vets clinic to see if I can get appointment to see her vet sometime next week-I found some more info of other meds to try-want to see what the vet thinks..it could be that nothing changes..hard to say.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Pumpkin, she's got a lot going on. Good thing she has such a loving owner doing all she can for her! It sounds like she's still interested in life and is happy though.
I wish there were more options available for pet care, or at the very least, that diagnostics were much, much more affordable. It's outrageous the cost of some vet care. Especially what seems to me very basic stuff like a 20 min exam or a blood test. Makes me really angry how expensive it is around here.:angryfire:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Pumpkin, she's got a lot going on. Good thing she has such a loving owner doing all she can for her! It sounds like she's still interested in life and is happy though.
I wish there were more options available for pet care, or at the very least, that diagnostics were much, much more affordable. It's outrageous the cost of some vet care. Especially what seems to me very basic stuff like a 20 min exam or a blood test. Makes me really angry how expensive it is around here.:angryfire:
Totally agree- haven't heard back from the vet yet-gonna take it day by day, Jon said she's eaten her tuna mush-I gave her pepcid AC this morning incase she's got nausea-looks like it worked. I wouldn't be suprised if her kidney values are slowly creeping up. I don't like her on gabapentin but the vet seems to think it will help-personally it did NOTHING for my bone pain-but she's on a very low dose and she should be bumped up to next dose amount according to that paper I read that is posted a few posts up.

That's another reason I am not getting aggessive about surgery-she's got asthma and other stuff going on-if she was 10 or younger-that's a whole different ball of wax. Not to mention she gets sooo stressed at the vets-I stopped her laser therapy because she pees herself and hides for 2 days after=I have 5 more sessions to use up-I am considering doing it once a week until it's used up-but she hates the cat carrier..I wish honeybee could send her some vibes because Bee Kitty loves car rides. Pumps never liked it no matter how often I take her for a ride-BUT when we are on the highway she quiets right down-like the 4 hour ride to camp-she's noisy the first 15 min then realizes it's a fun ride and sleeps the entire way...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about Pumpkin having such bad arthritis issues.
This has been going on for a while.. I am sorry the meds are not helping her.

it is worse for us, than our kitties when they get sick..

I cannot help or advise you about the arthritis.. You are so knowledgable about medicine.. I know you will find something to help her..

As far as surgery for replacement joints.. Wouldn't that be something or Cats!!!
However, it may be a bit too extensive for them. and expensive.. all the physical therapy they would have to endure.. just like humans!!!

Good Luck... and ((hugs))