Problem With Dog And Litter Box

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
My apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but as it's a problem with the resident canine and not felines I didn't know if I should post elsewhere. Anyway, here is the issue...

We share a house with our best friend who has a 4 year old Shih Tzu. Between us there are six cats, and more than enough litter boxes. The problem is that Rocky, the dog, likes to snack on the cat feces left in the litter boxes...yuck!

The litter boxes are regulated to two areas of the house: mine and my boyfriend's bedroom (for our cats) and the spare/craft/hobby room in the back of the house. Rocky is unable to sneak into our room without getting caught as it's right off the living room. The spare room is a little more out of the way and easier for him to access without getting caught.

With the size and layout of the house, we are pretty limited as to where the litter boxes can go. The most obvious solution is to put a baby gate across the doorway of the spare room. But the problem with that is that the two oldest cats in the house are unable to get over the gate. They can both use the boxes in our bedroom, but our room isn't accessible 24/7 to all the cats.

Right now, I have 2 five gallon buckets sitting in the doorway to the spare room in such a way that all the cats can get by but the dog can't. Rocky is a bit lazy and not inclined (usually) to jump up on or over things. Getting rid of the dog isn't an option, as he's a therapy dog for our roommate. Other than this one nasty habit, he's well behaved for the most part. Doesn't even really bark.

We're trying to figure out a solution that will keep Rocky away from the litter boxes, allow all the cats access, not cost a fortune, and not involve finding new homes for our pets. Any ideas?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people with small dogs put the cats' litter boxes up on tables. As long as the cats aren't elderly (or very young kittens), they won't have trouble jumping up to use the boxes as long as there's enough table top for them to land on. Could the older cats manage a coffee table?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother has this problem with his dogs, so he uses a covered litter box for his cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of people with small dogs put the cats' litter boxes up on tables. As long as the cats aren't elderly (or very young kittens), they won't have trouble jumping up to use the boxes as long as there's enough table top for them to land on. Could the older cats manage a coffee table?
Unfortunately, no. Not only can the oldest cat not jump up onto a table but there is no room for one.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
Baby gates in the doorways work wonders.
Again, tried and didn't work. The two oldest cats are unable to jump over the gate. And as one of the oldsters is the same size as the dog, leaving a gap for the cats doesn't prevent the dog from squeezing through.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
My brother has this problem with his dogs, so he uses a covered litter box for his cats.
Dog is small enough to get IN to the covered litter boxes. Another idea tried that didn't work. Thanks though so far for everyone's suggestions.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Would you be able to put a cat flap with "collar keys" or a microchip reader in the hobby room door? If you're renting, you should be able to put in a cheap replacement door and save the original to put back when you move out.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
Would you be able to put a cat flap with "collar keys" or a microchip reader in the hobby room door? If you're renting, you should be able to put in a cheap replacement door and save the original to put back when you move out.
Problem is cost. Six cats total in the household.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been planing on building a "spiral staircase" for my cats to allow them to come up through the floor of my shop. I haven't made it yet but I am sure it will work. Anyway, you can make sort of the same thing using several sturdy cardboard boxes. Banana boxes might work. Start with a bottom box with a hole cut in the side so they can get in and then a hole cut in the top to go to the next level. (You will have to block the other holes in the box with tape and cardboard. ) Put the next box on top with a hole matching the box underneath. Opposite to this cut another hole in the top to let them get to the next level. Then repeat with a top box but have it exit to the open. You could go 4 boxes high if you have the vertical space. So essentially you make a 3D maze that the cats can get through with no trouble but a dog might not be able to do all the twisting and turning. You can get the boxes for free at a grocery store so the only thing you will be out for trying it is the time and the tape to stick it all together. Use mailing tape or packaging tape or even duck tape. Using this the older cats would be able to get to a higher spot without having to jump or climb. Also cats love boxes and secret hiding places anyway so it could give them lots of fun. Dogs don't usually care for confined spaces.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound like a stupid idea, but can you train the dog not to eat cat poop?

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
I have been planing on building a "spiral staircase" for my cats to allow them to come up through the floor of my shop. I haven't made it yet but I am sure it will work. Anyway, you can make sort of the same thing using several sturdy cardboard boxes. Banana boxes might work. Start with a bottom box with a hole cut in the side so they can get in and then a hole cut in the top to go to the next level. (You will have to block the other holes in the box with tape and cardboard. ) Put the next box on top with a hole matching the box underneath. Opposite to this cut another hole in the top to let them get to the next level. Then repeat with a top box but have it exit to the open. You could go 4 boxes high if you have the vertical space. So essentially you make a 3D maze that the cats can get through with no trouble but a dog might not be able to do all the twisting and turning. You can get the boxes for free at a grocery store so the only thing you will be out for trying it is the time and the tape to stick it all together. Use mailing tape or packaging tape or even duck tape. Using this the older cats would be able to get to a higher spot without having to jump or climb. Also cats love boxes and secret hiding places anyway so it could give them lots of fun. Dogs don't usually care for confined spaces.
Lol, sounds more like playtime for kitties than for litter boxes! :D
Good idea but 1) lack of space and 2) one of the oldsters needs to get to the boxes in a hurry when his irritable bowel kicks in.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
This might sound like a stupid idea, but can you train the dog not to eat cat poop?
Our roommate has been trying this since long before we moved in. Dog refuses to stay away.

Not only is this a gross habit, but we're concerned that the dog's digestive tract and/or stomach may get clogged as we use clumping cat litter.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
With a little bit of reorganizing, we may have found a solution.

We use covered 5 gallon buckets for bulk food storage of rice, sugar, flour, and beans. Too heavy for the dog to move, low enough for even the oldsters to get over yet high enough to discourage a lazy dog. Arranged two in the door way of the back room and so far Rocky has not gotten past them.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With a little bit of reorganizing, we may have found a solution.

We use covered 5 gallon buckets for bulk food storage of rice, sugar, flour, and beans. Too heavy for the dog to move, low enough for even the oldsters to get over yet high enough to discourage a lazy dog. Arranged two in the door way of the back room and so far Rocky has not gotten past them.
Well hope that works. If not one more thing to try--- Take the nuggets out, dip them in super hot hot sauce and put them back in the box. Pure capsaicin extract would be a good choice also, you can get it from a number of places. I used to use a stuff called chew stop for the horses to keep them from chewing on wood. It was super hot and non toxic. A few hot crunchy turds might get the dog to change his idea of what is a snack. As an added bonus make a video of the dog getting some hot ones and what it does. It would most likely go viral on You tube.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use a stuff called chew stop for the horses to keep them from chewing on wood.
My horses liked the taste. But then, one horse liked hamburgers and my cat likes raw spinach. Go figure.

My litter box is in a cabinet thingy with just enough room for the cats to get behind it and in the box.

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Recorrective training, if done correctly, will work for the dog. Just need to be stern and consistent, my Miniature Pinscher figured it out... but his training isn't yours to worry about as he's not your dog.
I agree with putting some spicy substance on a few turds. However, dogs do have strong smell and if you stop doing that, he may just go back to chowing down when realizes the hot element has stopped. Also yeah, cat poo isn't at all an ideal snack. Can be harmful. I think your best bet is an elevated litter box, or one that is harder to get into (has a door)

ZaraLewis

ZaraE
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I currently have similar problem with my dog, he doesn't eat cat's feces, but his own :/
Our vet told me that it may be caused by poor digestion, and food is coming out basically the same way it went in. Thereby, the puppy’s poop tastes (and even smells) pretty much like the food he just ate. He also said that, in many cases, switching to a higher quality food can solve the issue. If you found out a solution Rocky, let me know, thanx! :)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise

This was my solution. Its a door latch that keeps the door shut so the dog can't get in, but it's just big enough that the cats can get it. You can also buy it with a door stop so the door stays open.

You can also get a baby gait and raise it off the ground so the cats can crawl under it but the dog can't. The problem with a shitzhu is that they are very small dogs. If you make something big enough for a cat to get in, the dog might still be able to squeeze his way in.

ZaraLewis

ZaraE
Kitten
Purraise
Hi MeganLBB,
That's an interesting solution, never seen it before, to be honest...However, yes, it can help people with cats and dogs and the issue of a bigger animal want to sneak in the 'private room' of a smaller one :D
But my case is a bit different, so I focused on healing the cause... I've heard that in same cases animals just do that without any particular reason, they like it (arhhh :/), but often it can be caused by poor nutrition, lack in vitamins, especially B12.
I consulted with our vet and decided to change my pup's nutrition to more balanced and high quality.. Now I feed him natural Ivorycoat for almost a week and we are doing really fine :) The same principle can be applied to cats, as our vet explained, in many cases of this kind, pet nutrition should be improved... He put it this way "It may happen because the food is not well digested when 'goes out' and still have the same shape and smell like it had when 'went in'. If they aren't digesting their food, even though they're being fed, they starve unless the issue can be fixed" :( So, along with door strap, an elevated litter box and any other helpful things, I would suggest to check your pet's nutrition, too.
I hope Catwithmycoffee found a solution, if anyone has any other tips, I am listening! :D