Problem With Dog And Litter Box

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm actually happy to hear I'm not alone in dealing with canine behavior and then some..DAKOTA, my extremely ELDERLY lab likes the TOOTSIE ROLLS that escape or miss the box! I make a point of doing TOOTSIE ROLL cleanup before letting him in the house at 5am. I'm a gagger by nature so it took 1 observation of this problem and it was no longer an issue (as long as I do not sleep in.) I love the idea of "rolling them in sugar" YUCK!!!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our litter boxes are ones that are in cabinets that have a doorway system that basically makes a sharp corner dogs can't get around, but cats can.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to second the door buddy recommendation. It's worked wonders for me, I also have a dog who thinks cat poop is a tasty treat. Your shih tzu's skull should be wider than the average cat (I think?) and as long as the cat can get their head through the door their body will follow. The cost is only about $15 per door buddy.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The door buddy has been a great solution for me. Although my dog doesn't eat the cat's poop, he does try to eat the cat's food. I use it to keep him away from the food, but for whatever reason, it works.

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, they make dog grates too! They have little doors on the bottom, if blocking off is necessary

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and maybe try putting it in a crate? I do that for my kitten. My dogs (er, Leroy is an exception and bathtime too) wouldnt touch it. I prefer separating since that was easier for Leroy. (Who would steal food from his brother because HE KNEW HE COULDNT HAVE IT)